Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 22:40   #1
BHPian

Preparations desert storm 2011

I am interested in participating for desert storm 2011 but have never participated in any of the car rally ever . All I have been able together by now is that i need to have a four wheeler with some modifications to manage the change. I have maruti swift diesel which I would like take on this rally. Friends need all sorts of advice which will be helpful in preparing for the rally.

Desert storm 2011 is probably scheduled for feb 2011 just like it was for this year.
Old 1st September 2010, 19:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to world of rallying.

A clarification at the start be clear if you are wanting to start with TSD Rallying (good idea) or jumping straight in to the fast and dizzy world of extreme rallying.

As a starting point I would suggest do the TSD version. It is fun, challenging, not so extreme, virtually no modifications needed. Still it is extremely competitive.

You need to hone up your navigation and driving skills for the endurance challenge Desert Storm will present. If you do not know basics of TSD hook up with some one who has done this before and understand what needs to be done.

Swift diesel can do Desert Storm in hands of a capable team. Smaller cars than this have done it in past. And yes it is also fun getting struck in sand...till rescued.

Rest ask specific questions and I hope friends here will try to fill in gaps.

(Not doing self promotion but I am also running a TSD training camp this and next month - search here on these forums).
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:05   #3
BHPian

Sudev, that will be good, do let me know when you organize the same for Desert Rally
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:18   #4
BHPian

Please clarify

Would the route be hard soil / dirt track or fine sand ?

Would it not be necessary for the Car to be 4WD if it is going to be real sand?

While modifying the Car, Roll Cage is not mandatory ?

Regards
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The route is mix of many surfaces. No roll cage needed for Xplore or Ndure category. A 4wd will be useful.
Old 4th September 2010, 06:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
I am interested in participating for desert storm 2011 but have never participated in any of the car rally ever . All I have been able together by now is that i need to have a four wheeler with some modifications to manage the change. I have maruti swift diesel which I would like take on this rally. Friends need all sorts of advice which will be helpful in preparing for the rally.

Desert storm 2011 is probably scheduled for feb 2011 just like it was for this year.
Hi Saurabh
please go though the attached link for further information on the TSD camp
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-tsd-camp.html
Old 5th September 2010, 21:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Saurabh
please go though the attached link for further information on the TSD camp
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-tsd-camp.html
Thanks Harjeev, i have gone through that thread already but am looking for more invidualistic guidance since i am a first timer, Should i go for Endure or Explore? I have maruti swift diesel, which all things i need to prepare/change in my present swift to be ready for the rally?

Are their more members who would be going/interested for participating in the rally ?
Old 6th September 2010, 05:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ndure is for 4x4 vehicles and Xplore for 2x4 vehicles. So in a Swift you can only enter in Xplore. That is unless you plan to do Xtreme!!

AFAIK you can take your stock Swift without any preparations in Xplore. That said it will be useful to have high profile tyres, bigger rims (standard in VDI) and possibly height adjustment spacers on the suspension.

Inside it is useful to have speedo/odo moved to be in front of the navigator. It is useful to have straps / ties to help keep things in place considering that it is a hatchback.

You will need a good tow strap with snap on hooks. Some people prefre to have an extra spare tyre on board.
Old 30th October 2010, 14:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Some one is looking for a driving crew member to participate in Desert Storm 2011. Any one interested?
Old 30th October 2010, 19:54   #10
BHPian

Hi Raj - I guess today is the last day to give in the entries for the early bird of the Storm'11

Sudev Sir - Please confirm
Old 30th October 2010, 21:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Last date is October 31st - tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks