Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 21:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is there a layout with the driving lines for chennai race track?

Saw the map and was wondering if there is another layout with the lines drawn or a right up of how to handle the track. May be a video?

Also how wide is this track?
Old 18th September 2010, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hope these help.
The track is 11 metres wide.
Not wide enough for hosting an A1GP or an F1 GP.
Old 27th September 2010, 01:47   #3
BHPian

Here's my take on the lines. The gear used might vary for different cars . The car that im using here is the Formula Maruti as thats the one I drive. Here goes

Start finish straight..Enter C1 in third right on the rev limiter..lift off partially and start applying power smoothly on the exit just kissing the inner kerb. Watch out for bumps that will unsettle your car so DO NOT coast around the corner..always have a little throttle to settle the suspension.

Shift upto fourth should need be or hold third.C2 shift down to second. Kiss the inner kerbs as you power out. Hold second gear and you will hit the rev limiter. Take C3 in second and shift upto to third as you exit the corner.

Smallish back straight you should ideally be in fourth as you approach the "S" comprising C4 and C5. Shift down to third as you brake. Kiss the inner kerb of C4 and hold on to the inner line as the next corner is almost immediate. by holding the inner line you make sure that you have a good exit before you approach the big sweeper.

As you approach shift upto to fourth. Straight out C6 as much as you can while setting yourself up for taking the inner line into C7. Hold the inner line of the big sweep till the power out point comes and that is usually somewhere in the middle of the big sweep just before the track begins to widen out on to the back straight. power out smoothly off the big sweeper and shift to fifth as you cross C7.

As you approach C8 shift down to third and you will be right on the limiter. Kiss the inner kerbs of C7 as you power out part throttle onto to the very small straight between C8 and C9. C9 is ideally taken in 4th almost flat out as the exit it very wide. But be warned. The exit might be seem too tempting as it is very wide and if you go in too hot you will almost certainly ruin your lap.

C10 again is quite a tricky corner in my books. You can take it almost flat out but then you will have to brake real hard for C11 and go to second gear. Do keep that in mind and also watch out for the suspension to get unsettled as it most always will since your entering the corner at high speed with a slight right turn which loads up your left suspension and immediately your braking and turning to your left. Just what the doctor ordered for a couple of 360's! :P

C11 and C12 also called the bridge left and right. C11 has two lines..you can either hold on to the inner line and kiss the inner kerb at entry and end up kissing the outside kerb on exit OR you can hold a wider line through C11 and straight out before taking C12. By doing that you will align yourself perfectly for a good entry to C12 and you will carry some decent speed too. The point here is how much speed you can carry through C12 and not C11. Both corners are taken in second.

Then comes the famous Bridge which is taken flat out usually shifting upto to third.

The final corner C13. Shift down to second. Take it as smoothly as you can and carry as much speed as you possibly can as it takes you onto to the main straight.

Again. These gear ratios are meant for the formula Swift race car and not a road car. I have not driven a road car around the track ,too bad!

PS: the above lines are purely MY lines and someone else might have a different approach too. Just my two cents.. cheers all!
prashanth_benz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2010, 22:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
YouTube - MMSC flying lap Zen-yzfrj (Riju) - Pay and Practice March 7, 2010
YouTube - My Esteem on the MMSC track Chennai
Hope these help.
The track is 11 metres wide.
Not wide enough for hosting an A1GP or an F1 GP.
Holy mother of gawd, Rijju almost hit that esteem dude. Are there no corner workers looking out for spin outs? it didnt seem that it happened just then. It seems that guy spun out and Rijju had no idea about it. Thats pretty bad.

Nice driving though nitrous. I could see few places where you could have used the track more and also tried a different line. Wish I could get my car as is down there to have some fun. Also the concept of having a loose item in the car while driving, just too dangerous..man its quite shocking..

I really think, we need a more organized form of amateur motorsports in india. What do you think it will take. When I get back, I want to tackle this issue for sure. After all I am having my son grow up in this country now and I want him to have a shot at international motorsports

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2010 at 15:58. Reason: STRICTLY no inappropriate language, not even indirectly
Old 28th September 2010, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
Here's my take on the lines. The gear used might vary for different cars . The car that im using here is the Formula Maruti as thats the one I drive. Here goes

Start finish straight..Enter C1 in third right on the rev limiter..lift off partially and start applying power smoothly on the exit just kissing the inner kerb. Watch out for bumps that will unsettle your car so DO NOT coast around the corner..always have a little throttle to settle the suspension.

Shift upto fourth should need be or hold third.C2 shift down to second. Kiss the inner kerbs as you power out. Hold second gear and you will hit the rev limiter. Take C3 in second and shift upto to third as you exit the corner.

Smallish back straight you should ideally be in fourth as you approach the "S" comprising C4 and C5. Shift down to third as you brake. Kiss the inner kerb of C4 and hold on to the inner line as the next corner is almost immediate. by holding the inner line you make sure that you have a good exit before you approach the big sweeper.

As you approach shift upto to fourth. Straight out C6 as much as you can while setting yourself up for taking the inner line into C7. Hold the inner line of the big sweep till the power out point comes and that is usually somewhere in the middle of the big sweep just before the track begins to widen out on to the back straight. power out smoothly off the big sweeper and shift to fifth as you cross C7.

As you approach C8 shift down to third and you will be right on the limiter. Kiss the inner kerbs of C7 as you power out part throttle onto to the very small straight between C8 and C9. C9 is ideally taken in 4th almost flat out as the exit it very wide. But be warned. The exit might be seem too tempting as it is very wide and if you go in too hot you will almost certainly ruin your lap.

C10 again is quite a tricky corner in my books. You can take it almost flat out but then you will have to brake real hard for C11 and go to second gear. Do keep that in mind and also watch out for the suspension to get unsettled as it most always will since your entering the corner at high speed with a slight right turn which loads up your left suspension and immediately your braking and turning to your left. Just what the doctor ordered for a couple of 360's! :P

C11 and C12 also called the bridge left and right. C11 has two lines..you can either hold on to the inner line and kiss the inner kerb at entry and end up kissing the outside kerb on exit OR you can hold a wider line through C11 and straight out before taking C12. By doing that you will align yourself perfectly for a good entry to C12 and you will carry some decent speed too. The point here is how much speed you can carry through C12 and not C11. Both corners are taken in second.

Then comes the famous Bridge which is taken flat out usually shifting upto to third.

The final corner C13. Shift down to second. Take it as smoothly as you can and carry as much speed as you possibly can as it takes you onto to the main straight.

Again. These gear ratios are meant for the formula Swift race car and not a road car. I have not driven a road car around the track ,too bad!

PS: the above lines are purely MY lines and someone else might have a different approach too. Just my two cents.. cheers all!
Thanks for that prashanth, do you have a video of you?I dont think I would really need to know the gearing, cuz every car is different like you said, but its good to know you got that nailed down in your head. Also I thought you never coast on a track period, you are either on the throttle or on the brakes, if you are coasting then you arent driving hard enough

So technically there is no one who has nailed down the exact line for tracking on this track yet? I will see if I can have my guys here look at the track map and some videos and draw up the line for me. But I am sure if you drive a formula maruti, you must be doing well. Where do you get one of these machines or atleast the info on it.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:34   #6
BHPian

Unfortunately I do not have an incar video but I see a couple of videos posted here. That should give you an idea of the track. And about the "coasting" part in my write up, I said specifically and used the word "coasting" because I know and have seen a lot of people do that especially at the first corner. Usually people come in too hot ,enter the corner and realize its too late to brake and instead jus lift off the throttle, coasting their way around. And yes "if you are coasting then you arent driving hard enough" or your probably driving too hard which is usually the case in point when it comes to C1 here.

You can draw up your own line looking at the map of the track. But I can tell you one thing. Drawing the lines out on paper is completely different to driving the lines on the tarmac atleast from what Ive experienced and Im sure you know that too. And about the FSwifts, you can rent them out from any teams that run them , provided they have that option of renting.I tested for Rams Racing for a race seat and thats how I got a couple of practice sessions in the car. I dont know if Mr Ram would rent out just for a weekends practice though. Give it a shot though if your really interested. Cheers!

Last edited by prashanth_benz : 29th September 2010 at 23:38. Reason: Typo!
Old 30th September 2010, 10:09   #7
BHPian

there is a map in the new overdrive along with the lines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks