Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:12   #76
Senior - BHPian

The event was pretty much so so.Not good nor was it bad.I reached the place by 9am.I was pretty excited as it was the first drag I was attending,a motorsport event like this was taking place in kolkata.I was really excited to meet the tbhpians too for the first time.The event was delayed and started by 10ish.The races soon started.I was really surprised to know that nos power and evo had to race againt a turbo charged RRR baleno and the EVO VI.

The other tbhpians present there were:

Planet Rocker & ETC
Saurabh M
Shuvd
Toiing
Ace6120
Sumit_Jain

Arindram da won the 1st race against another esteem.
Souvik won his 1st race against another OHC 1.3
Joseph lost his first race,this was completly unfair as joseph's car was all stock.
Deval too lost his 1st race against the EVO VI,this was too really unfair,racing a stage 1 car against an EVO.

Then there were display runs by all of anish's beemers,their maroon merc SL,a Q5 owned by a participant and two cars restored by the kanoria's were also run.

Sad that I had to leave the place by 12.30.The event continoued till 4.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
So basically it was a "Drag" which had to timing equipment, moronic Scrutiny team a dirty road. Fantastic!
Err, Cyrus, where did you find out that they had no (assuming the "to" is a typo for "no") timing equipment, or the roads were dirty? In those 2 aspects, in fact, the arrangement exceeded our expectation. They had adequate timing equipment (even video surveillance) and the tracks were pretty clean.

Yes, I agree that the scrutiny was pathetic though . My real grouse was with the organization, and the partiality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
@predatorwheels:Any chance the verna was runnin a remap or sumthing??Beats me how a stock verna can claw back like that especially when both cars are in the peak of their powerbands?
Beats me too. But the only reason I see possible was a mistimed shift on my part. I will not assume things here.

Quote:
Pitting a stage 1 remapped RS against an EVO is just ridiculous.But I guess they needed to display the capabilities of the EVO against something.So Deval's car was conveniently made the scapegoat or "Track-filler" should I say
Very well said, and true - unfortunately!
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Heres a press clipping

Quote:
Kolkata, November 2, 2010 (Calcutta Tube/IBNS) Ace racer Amittrajit Ghosh on Sunday won the first ever Eastern India’s 400mts Ceat Drag Race –Wheels War II—in the 1601-2000cc modified category with a timing of 13.03 seconds.
Driving a Mitsubishi Lancer, Amittrajit defeated Soham Hazra with relative ease to lift the Wheels War Trophy. “I am happy that drag racing has moved to this part of the country. We need more such efforts to popularize racing,” Amittrajit added.
Approved by the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) and Calcutta Motor Sports Club (CMSC), Wheel War II was held on a flat stretch of 400 mts of tarmac in the centre of Jyoti Basu Nagar in Rajarhat New Town.
“I was expecting to win. But nothing can be said before I have won it. I am happy to have won. I will head to Bangalore for National Championship in December,” he added.
In the 1601-2000cc Stock Car category Akshay Khatry driving a Chevrolet Cruz defeated Ajgar Ali with a timing of 16.63 seconds.
In the upto 1000 cc modified category Subhobroto Sen on Maruti Zen took the bow with a timing of 19.22sec, while Aparup Saha won the modified 1001-1200cc category on his Hyundai Santro with a timing of 19.03 secs.
Pushpak Ghosh won the Modified 1201-1400cc category with a timing of 18.70 defeating Ajgar Ali. Soham, who lost to Amittrajit in the big race, had some consolation winning the modified 1401-1600 category on his Maruti Baleno defeating Rehan Gaffar by a fair distance.

It was a feast of speed and high octave adrenaline as 57 of the Kolkata’s fast and the furious raced towards the finish line on 400 mts of unstained tarmac smack in the middle of Rajarhat Newtown.
“The response from the competitors and the sponsors has been extremely encouraging. Finally, Kolkata got to witness its first ever recognised drag race. It has always been our objective to organise such events to boostmotor sports in this part of the country and encourage more people to take up the sport.
“Hopefully, our collective efforts would bear fruit and the future of motor sports would be much brighter in Eastern India,” said Anjan Sirkar, Clerk of the Course.
Souvik Ghosh, Secretary of the Meet, said, “It’s a huge challenge to put together such a technical and high risk event. But for the race enthusiasts it’s the right kind of boost to get them motivated and come forward to race. We thank FMSCI and CMSC and all our sponsors especially CEAT for coming in a big way in support of the event.”
The highlight was an exhibition race featuring a Ferrari, Mercedes SLK500, Mercedes AMG and MGA Mark II.

What Ferrari are they talking about?
And the AMG had turned up?
Old 4th November 2010, 07:39   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
There was no Ferrari, no Mercedes AMG. And the SLK500 was actually a 2 gen old SL500.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Some things are best no said in a public forum.
Old 5th November 2010, 10:39   #81
evo
BHPian

@ predatorwheelz : Thats a very accurate report. Thank you for documenting the whole thing so neatly.

Even though I was amazed at the level of nonsense in terms of wrong pairing etc, it was a Sunday worth remembering !
Old 6th November 2010, 20:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Was there for around 20 mins (was on the way to the airport) and saw the Evo vs 'evo' run. Did the Evo (the real one) do any more runs that day. Because at the end of that run something was smelling quite strongly. I would say the clutch, though Mr. Ghosh (Junior) assured me that it always smells like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Err, Cyrus, where did you find out that they had no (assuming the "to" is a typo for "no") timing equipment, or the roads were dirty? In those 2 aspects, in fact, the arrangement exceeded our expectation. They had adequate timing equipment (even video surveillance) and the tracks were pretty clean.
How exactly was the timing done?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th November 2010, 21:33   #83
BHPian

Kudos Tbhp'ians

Quote:
NOSPOWER'S car was in no way modified.If running a low profile tyre is modification then whats next?HID kits..power horns..

Pitting a stage 1 remapped RS against an EVO is just ridiculous.But I guess they needed to display the capabilities of the EVO against something.So Deval's car was conveniently made the scapegoat or "Track-filler" should I say
+10 to all that you said and quoted about that competition. We in India have often been known to worship Gods, and Gods are like Cars: To each his own. But nevertheless, an event in Kolkata, or I should specify, a drag event in Kolkata, is not a bad start for the bong-land. Wish I was in India/Kolkata to meet you all and be a part of the team in whichever way possible. Next time, count me in.

As predatorwheelz said:
Quote:
Anyway, so every story has a conclusion. What did we take away from the event? I'd say a lot of learning, a need for speed and many more events in the future, and a little bad taste in the mouth!
And Kudos to all tbhp'ians for keeping the flag high. I would recommend a fair play award for the honest man, we all know who he is, keeping up the tbhp spirit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks