Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 14:35   #1
BHPian

Formula 1 in India - Step in the right direction?

India is to host a formula 1 race in Oct 2011.

Question to be asked - Do we, in a country where 80% of its citizens languish below poverty line without one square meal a day or basic education or medical facilities, even need to host what is essentially an elite sport, catering to the rich and the pampered? What justification was shown to the Sports Ministry to bring this spectacle to India?

Consider these:
1. The infrastructure coming up for F1 will be a white elephant. F1 track may not can be used for other racing events.
2. Who pays, who sees? 1% of India's population enjoys a spectacle funded by the other 99% who are either completely ignorant of it or don't care two hoots. How is this justified?
3. Iam not even getting into the infrastructure or logistics management, which we have been repeatedly found lacking in the past. Another CWG 2010 in the making?
Old 27th September 2010, 14:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if you realize what a phenomenal amount of revenue & spending will be generated in just 3 days during that period. Primarily because of the "rich and pampered" who will fly in, stay at 5 star establishments, spend a whopping amount of money & go away. Outside city limits, no 12 hour lane dedications, no "unlivable" rooms, none of that stuff.

Quite unlike the CWG mess, wouldn't you say? Of course, this is subject to the track passing scrutiny - I have a feeling it will. Btw, I couldn't figure how 99% of India's population is funding the F1 event?

Last edited by suman : 27th September 2010 at 14:45.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am sure it will be very unlilke the CWG since the role of the govt is very minimum and of course there's mallya.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Isn't this a private investment? There might have been some govt assistance but for an economy, spending is must (private money).
Old 27th September 2010, 16:06   #5
BHPian

1. F1 track can and will be used for other events. Most of the times , they prepare multiple layouts so that the smaller layouts could be used for small hired events. Besides, all the investment is being done by private money, so if they want to burn their money, I don't see what the problem is .
2. Again, the government is not spending anything ( unlike say Melbourne, where the Victorian government pays for the race ). Even if there are not many fans in the country ( which i doubt ), a lot of people travel from all parts of the world to watch F1 races. Imagine the income these people would bring to the hotels, restaurants, retailers, tourism companies etc. And F1 fans are known to spend a lot more ( and in effect, contribute to the local economy) than other sports fans.
3. It could be another CWG in the making but thankfully, the IOC is not handling this, so i am more optimistic.
I doubt the sports consortium will make a profit out of this ( since Bernie is known to squeeze every last penny out of the race organisers ), but the race organisers have bigger plans and i read somewhere that they are going to start an academy to encourage newer drivers and provide facilities as well as funding for their training.
Hopefully, this means that we will have better drivers and maybe an indian driver can get a drive in F1 on merit ( instead of on money like it is currently ) in the future.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

F1 is not a simple one race event, it marks India on the world map.

F1 ring is not subsidized. Its private property and the company running it will make sure it makes money. RE enhancement apart, I am sure it will be used by many manufactures. I think the closest to it is Honda (hinting winking anyone at Honda listening =D ).

The business is lucrative albeit not as much as IPL but with many sponsorship deal and human insatiable quest for speed will keep the register ringing.

I think TBhp members should write to Jaypee and book a grandstand. What say moderators? My marketing brains now goes in overdrive. Guys this can be a huge event for TBhp as well.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:48   #7
BHPian

I don't think the Government of India is much involved in the project except for (I am not sure) providing land, that too completely not free.

And it being a private project there are many spin-off effects on the economy, like travelling, hotel business etc. Apart from this this being a private business venture any profit from such venture would attract Income tax.

And on another note this will provide motor sport enthusiasts with a place to practice (Hopefully).
Old 27th September 2010, 22:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
India is to host a formula 1 race in Oct 2011.

Question to be asked - Do we, in a country where 80% of its citizens languish below poverty line without one square meal a day or basic education or medical facilities, even need to host what is essentially an elite sport, catering to the rich and the pampered? What justification was shown to the Sports Ministry to bring this spectacle to India?
I don't really see any problem, since government is not spending on this.
Hosting an F1 race has potential to generate significant revenues, both for the organizers and the country. There will be fans visiting from outside. Even within the country, there will be fans who will be spending on travel, hotels, merchandises etc.
Also, I don't think anybody needs to give justification to the Sports Ministry. In fact, sports minister had made some comment long back saying the F1 is not a sport. For all practical purposes, the government can consider it as some entertainment event. It hardly matters.

Quote:
Consider these:
1. The infrastructure coming up for F1 will be a white elephant. F1 track may not can be used for other racing events.
Not quite true. The track can be (depending on track homologation by respective governing bodies) used for other events like MotoGP and SBK.

Quote:
2. Who pays, who sees? 1% of India's population enjoys a spectacle funded by the other 99% who are either completely ignorant of it or don't care two hoots. How is this justified?
This is not like CWG, so I don't think this is coming out of tax payers' money.

Quote:
3. Iam not even getting into the infrastructure or logistics management, which we have been repeatedly found lacking in the past. Another CWG 2010 in the making?
CWG is managed by government. This is managed by private bodies, so hopefully better managed and organized.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 27th September 2010 at 22:04.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:15   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Question to be asked - Do we, in a country where 80% of its citizens languish below poverty line without one square meal a day or basic education or medical facilities, even need to host what is essentially an elite sport, catering to the rich and the pampered?
In that case:

- Let's ban Mercedes & BMW from selling their cars in India
- Shut down all 5 star hotels
- Restrict the sale of any mobile phone that costs over 7,000 rupees
- Business class in airlines? You gotta be kidding
- Prohibit anyone from owning a house with bedrooms bigger than 150 sq ft
- No Indian woman can buy diamonds anymore
- IPL? What IPL? Actually, why do we need sports at all in this country!

Wake up, it's a free market.

P.S. Rich and pampered? Did it occur to you that some could be rich and hard-working?
Old 28th September 2010, 18:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Exactly what GTO said.

You're forgetting that this is not being paid for by tax payers money. This is a private initiative.

The idea is to look ahead. Going by what ure saying we would never have been on motorized transport! and India is the fastest growing automobile market in the world!
..the capital of our country doesn't even have a proper go karting track!
Old 29th September 2010, 20:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Who is going to be involved in this project?
Old 29th September 2010, 21:06   #12
BHPian

People need to wake up to the fact that India is on its way to become a Superpower in the near future.

The F1 track under construction here is the brainchild of the Jaypee Group.
The funding is totally private and the Government has no hand in it except maybe for the land.

And hosting a F1 race is a big thing! Its not just about rich people watching suicidal drivers go around at suicidal speeds in cars that weigh just about as much as I do.
This will put India on the world map. Along with names like Monaco and Suzuka!

I think we Indians should be proud that this is happening! And since I'm a die hard F1 fan, you will find me there at the Indian GP next year!
Old 29th September 2010, 23:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dear original poster,

More on the rich and pampered tag - a major source of revenue is TV rights - and are they the rich and pampered?
No ... they are you, me and everyone else - the common man for whom 18,000 rpm is the sound of ecstasy. Because appreciating autosport transcends money my friend.
Old 6th October 2010, 01:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

So where is this F1 track being made and is it underway and do we know if it will be available for rental after the event?
Old 6th October 2010, 09:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
So where is this F1 track being made and is it underway and do we know if it will be available for rental after the event?
The Indian F1 track has been being built at Greater Noida, around 58 kms. away from New Delhi by Jaypee Group. The construction of this track is underway & its a way ahead of schedule & will be made available for the furthur tests in February 2011. The circuit will be roughly 5.5 kilometers (3.1 miles) and will be designed by F1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke. the first race i.e. Indian GP wil be held on 30th October 2011 here on this track as per the official 2011 Formula One Championship Schedule.
The 10-year contract for the race has been given to the Jaypee Group, who are constructing the track.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks