Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 13:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too

Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too-iml-car-1.jpg

Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too-iml-car-2.jpg

Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too-iml-car-3.jpg

Official Website

Set to follow in the footsteps of the new, big-dollar Indian Premier League, a motorsport version of the same could soon be on the way, the unnamed motorsport satire project hears. Just as the IPL uses the shortened, high-entertainment Twenty20 version of cricket, the Indian Motorsport League will use a special format of motorsport.

Drivers will race in a series of Sprintcar-style cars on circuits built around cities across India.

Details:

- An 8 Month, 12-Weekend Racing Series

- A variety of potential city-track racing venues, from Ahmedabad to Kolkata and Srinagar to Cochin, with track lengths ranging from 4.0 - 6.1 km, have already been evaluated throughout India.

- Will start with 8 races in less than 2 years. Target of 25 by 2015.

- Citywise franchises will be awarded (much like the IPL).

- In addition to the urban tracks, a 350-acre, public-friendly motorsports campus with a technical and educational/vocational center, developmental circuit and museum is in the works. The campus will be dedicated to the development of IML race cars, as well as to training drivers, engineers, race officials and volunteers.

- Although final locations have yet to be released, twelve tracks are in the planning stages. The economic benefits for participating cities, based on other internationally established motorsports circuits’ ability to generate tourism, infrastructure development, various commercial activities and job creation, could reach in the millions of rupees.

About the cars:

- Carbon fibre body panels and race-spec suspension.

- Front engine, rear-wheel-drive layout.

- 1050 kilo weight (including the driver)

- Top speed = 290 kph

- A limited number of prime-series race cars will be provided to franchised teams from the motorsports campus. IML will manage all franchising rights to the race circuit and prime-series cars.

- Initial public exposure of the IML concept will take place through a promotional tour across India with the objective to build a strong awareness among the Indian public of the new IML series. Each stop on the tour will encourage the public to interact with the actual race cars, as well as, offer a virtual driving and racing experience through the use of computer-based driving simulators

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2010 at 15:50. Reason: Adding information from the official press release to your post itself
Old 25th October 2010, 18:46   #2
BHPian

Good initiative! So this is only on circuit racing or there is some offroading/rallying scene too?
Old 28th October 2010, 15:49   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ RM Motorsports : I've added information & pictures from the official press release to your post itself.
Old 28th October 2010, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats really good news, I would like to lend my hand in this project. Feel free to contact in case of any help.
Old 28th October 2010, 17:47   #5

Is this a Promotion Brief or has this been actually implemented? In any case, this still removes us commoners from motorsport. Which is exactly what Indian Motorsport doesn't need!!
Old 28th October 2010, 18:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the A1GP - the world cup of motorsports?
It died!

IMO, This is probably going to be a stillborn.
Old 28th October 2010, 19:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lol. Nice joke. April 1 is far away.
Old 28th October 2010, 19:38   #8
BHPian

Sounds too good to be true, race track in Srinagar ?
Old 28th October 2010, 21:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would like to volunteer as well for this is almost like what I dreamt of and explained to my wife. The only thing was I was running a ring in mountains near Punjab

This will be the breeding ground for next generation racers. The tracks can be used for weekend drift or trackdays.

Love the initiative. If you need some assistance in NCR, let me know.

Cheers!
Old 28th October 2010, 22:14   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Is this a Promotion Brief or has this been actually implemented?
It's a start. They are getting the ball rolling. About the commoners, well, I'd be more optimistic. Lets give them the benefit of doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Lol. Nice joke. April 1 is far away.
I suppose you'd want to take your words back after seeing who the domain is registered to. The gentleman's profile reads:

Quote:
Chief Engineer Vehicle Integration at Lotus Engineering
I'm pretty sure he means business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Sounds too good to be true, race track in Srinagar ?
That's probably what some people said about an F1 track in India 10 years ago, or in North India 5 years ago.
Old 28th October 2010, 22:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's probably what some people said about an F1 track in India 10 years ago, or in North India 5 years ago.
Well not quite, About Srinagar.

Very hostile environment
Curfew whole day, opens up just for a few hours.
Zero % people interested in watching/participating in a race.
Unfavorable terrain.

Just to name a few..

Anyways, OT.
I would keep mum till this idea is actually implemented, and if a person like me/or any other racing enthusiast is able to participate in this series, it will be the best thing that ever happened to Indian motorsports.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:07   #12
BHPian

Any clue on who are the promoters? I find it suprising that all websites, press coverage etc mentions nothing about who are the promoters.

After all the viability of the project comes from the promoters as the difficulty is execution and not conception.

Any clues??
Old 29th October 2010, 18:33   #13
BHPian

A Birmingham-based company called PROeSQ seems is one of the involved parties, atleast in research and planning. Don't ask me how I got this info.

PROeSQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Any clue on who are the promoters? I find it suprising that all websites, press coverage etc mentions nothing about who are the promoters.

After all the viability of the project comes from the promoters as the difficulty is execution and not conception.

Any clues??

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 29th October 2010 at 18:35.
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:52   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too

Well, there's a big announcement this friday from the IML. And the racing Series has been branded as the i1Super Series.
Old 27th October 2011, 01:38   #15
BHPian

Re: Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, there's a big announcement this friday from the IML. And the racing Series has been branded as the i1Super Series.
I do not think i1Super Series is promoted by IML? They seem to be slightly different concepts, and again, i1Super Series has no mention of IML does it? Appreciate any light you could shed on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks