Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

View Poll Results: running NOS cars vs NON-NOS cars..is it fair ????
yes,run all the cars in 1 category only,cant do much for those who cant afford NOS.. 11 13.75%
no..have two separate classes for FI(forced induction) and NON- FI.. 70 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2005, 10:33   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
NOS cars vs NA cars at drags:is it fair

well this is a raging topic heading across the entire country as of now..drag rules ?? who makes them ?? how well are they followed ?? whats done to those who are caught cheating ?? and the list goes on and on,doesnt it..

but here i would like to focus on a particular issue and thats about running the NOS cars up against the NON-NOS cars..is this fair ?? if yes then how ?? if no then what should or rather can be done ??

here is my take on this..

at the just concluded drag at bangalore as u all know v1p3r took my car onto the track..well almost all cars if not all even in the zen class were running on NOS..and there were a few cars most from the SAG racing team which ran N.A ..so to say the other cars did have an instant advantage would hold good i suppose..why ?? just because they could afford that extra dough to get a NOS kit..isnt NOS a kind of forced induction as such if u look at it practically ??

where can or should people go who cant afford NOS but are somehow able to manage a few good mods on the engine ?? should they be allowed to sit at home and feel incompetant ?? is that the way we plan to popularize motorsports in india ??
is that the way we expect talent to come from this country to enable us to participate at the pinnacle of motorsport events internationally..

does a NOS install give the tuner the necessary credit to the work he carries out on the engine ?? how are we to guage the tuners work then as in how competant is he with his head work,exhaust system et all ..

there are a few who think drag racing is only for the rich and it has no place for uncles/ kids to come out with their stock cars/ modified cars (but no nos) to participate..is this attitude right ?? shouldnt everyone who wish to take part be given an oppurtunity to race ??

will running a multiplication factor for NOS cars just like we have for turbos work ??
or is it better to run two separate classes called street (only engine mods allowed,no forced induction) and prostreet (cars with FI) ..wouldnt that even out the parity ??

isnt this the way drags are held all over the globe ?? then why not in india ??
will we ever see a level playing field ??

im putting up a poll here..would love to see what my fellowmates think of this issue..so pls roll out ur votes and explain ur choices as it would give us a better understanding of the subject ..

ps : forced induction includes NOS,turbochargers,superchargers etc..
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, sure it's fair, like fighting with swords against missiles. Zorro ain't got nothin on a sniper with a Dragunov!
Old 23rd December 2005, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

i honestly dont think its fair.if everyones running on NOS its fine but for those who cant afford it ??

the cars running with NOS should be put in an entirely different category with the ones running with a turbo/super chager.
this is what i personally feel.

Rev
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

No fair have them as two seperate classes, have a multiplication factor for NOS as well.
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its not fair compitition, the cars with NOS will have advantage over the other cars. So there should be seperate category for them.
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:40   #6
BHPian

Mouthing revtech....it IS necessary to have seperate catagories for both the nos and the non-nos cars...esp for people like me who are low on resources :(
...it is a good thing in hyd that most of the mod cars which drag are not on nos... and most esteems and zens are modified here to race with the lancers et al. but then for the rest of the country i think we do need two seperate catagories.

godspeed.

alokdagr8 signin out.
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:50   #7
BHPian

My 2 Bits.

No offence to any one. Point # 1 - NOS is not forced induction. There is no rise in pressure as such. it is the content of the oxygen in NOS which enables higher combustion.
Taking for granted that the categories ar run seperately - You need to know that there are various kinds of Nos - Dry, Wet, Direct port etc. etc. Obviously the more complicated the system the more expensive it is and therefore bigger the gains - So then what would you want the organisers to do ? Further subdivide ? - Not practical my friend.

I know it is frustrating. but we tend to look at events from our side and not from the organisers point of view. Trust me people they already have their hands full. Give them a break.
Old 23rd December 2005, 17:13   #8
BHPian

Expect the unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
My 2 Bits.

No offence to any one. Point # 1 - NOS is not forced induction. There is no rise in pressure as such. it is the content of the oxygen in NOS which enables higher combustion.
Taking for granted that the categories ar run seperately - You need to know that there are various kinds of Nos - Dry, Wet, Direct port etc. etc. Obviously the more complicated the system the more expensive it is and therefore bigger the gains - So then what would you want the organisers to do ? Further subdivide ? - Not practical my friend.

I know it is frustrating. but we tend to look at events from our side and not from the organisers point of view. Trust me people they already have their hands full. Give them a break.

Or thats the fact becoz you cant classify the cars... NOS, TURBO, SUPERCHARGER, NOS + TURBO, NOS + SUPERCHARGER. Well Again dividing DRY NITROUS, WET and Direct port. Its going to be fun dividing these cars.

I can understand everyone is getting away with Nitrous since its the easy way of achieving instant nirvana. But even that is not easy... I am not to sure whether everyone uses DRY or WET here... Well It must be Dry since thats the easiest way out. Requires lesser tuning and work than WET and direct port.(Basic idea)

Turbo or Supercharging is what i am looking for coz those make a huge difference. Having s well tuned car using turbo @ 7 PSI can easily acheive 80Bhp(Roughly), while the max safe limit for a dry Nitrous is 75Bhp(approximation by experts). Turbo is constant and something entirely different from Nitrous.

But the question here is.... Is it fair, I would say it is fair. Running NOS, Turbo etc.. is not simple bolt on's. If you are serious about these, there need to be serious money and R&D goin into it to get the final fool proof product. U gotta respect them (cars). They are built to win.

Question : Am I in that catagory? Ofcourse not, I can even afford a Air filter change. Hahaha!!!

Its your choice to take part in a race and nobody forces you to do so. If u think ur car isnt competent enuff, stay out of it. Let the ones whoz ready do the job.

I am pretty sad to say all this coz, I get chance only to watch the race and not race the race. What can be done, nothing. Coz normally in drag the divisions are pretty less. So lets be ready to face anything when we are on the starting line. Tats the spirit, Rather than being sorry for urself for not being gud as the other one.

Hope my brother wont get me wrong, becoz the above is my feeling and my experience. No offence.
Old 23rd December 2005, 17:26   #9
Tom
BHPian

will polls change rules?
if yes then ganguly would be beack in the team, right??
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:40   #10
BHPian

Frankly i dont mind turbo cars running in the same category as nos cars...(without multiplication factor that is.)
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sideways, Nitrous induces cylinder pressures of close to 60psi over and above normal combustion pressures. There's no way you can get a phenomenal power increase without achieving pressure increase in a limited space.

Neo, wet shot is safer, since fuel measurement is precalculated. And nitrous installs ARE much easier than turbo installs, and definitely much much easier than good head jobs. Also, with a wet shot, or mutliple nozzles, a la Pro Fogger, you can go much higher than 75 bhp. Some Indian cars themselves run that much on the strip.

Tom, Ganguly's not in the team?
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]Cinclaturbo, I think you would agree that nitrous can only take you that far. A good turbo setup is far better, and you can literally change your boost preferences on the fly. Plus it's daily drive.[/SIZE]
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:48   #13
BHPian

" Sideways, Nitrous induces cylinder pressures of close to 60psi over and above normal combustion pressures. There's no way you can get a phenomenal power increase without achieving pressure increase in a limited space. "

The point I am trying to make is that "boost" like in a turbo charger is not acheived and therefore NOS cannot be categorised as forced indcution. I am not talking about the pressure at which the gas in realeased into the chamber.
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

NOS with multiplication factor me is fair coz as some of us already mentioned the fastest car has to win, now its your problem if your resources dont allow you to make your car as fast as others using NOS or TC's or SC...Personally, I wanna race but I dont have the deutch to buy NOs or other gizmos but I will wait...till I save up some, then Im competing with the best in the business. I dont wanna participate in a handicapped battle...for that I have the roads
Old 23rd December 2005, 19:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
[SIZE=2]Cinclaturbo, I think you would agree that nitrous can only take you that far. A good turbo setup is far better, and you can literally change your boost preferences on the fly. Plus it's daily drive.[/SIZE]
I do agree to what u have said.
But i have' nt yet see a turbo indian car in bangalore,that has more than 75 hp over stock.So until the turbo cars get much quicker than what they are... the nos guys won't have that much of a problem

Most Viewed