Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 14:31   #1

Bangalore's Very Own Race Track?!

Bangalore is going to gets its very own race track made on international racing standards by Red Rooster Racing.. Anounced on Red Rooster Racing - India's leading professional motorsports company
Old 21st January 2011, 11:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore's Very Own Race Track?!

Can you provide a link to the direct article? I just had a quick look on RR's website and couldn't find any information on the proposed race track.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 20:10   #3

Red Rooster Racing - India's leading professional motorsports company read the infrastucture coloum.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:49   #4
BHPian

Have seen atleast 10 people who where very much interested to build track near bangalore and failed in doing so.

Hope RRR guys makes it reality.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:41   #5
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. What are the problems/hassles that are involved in setting up a race track in the outskirts of bangalore along the lines of say Kari Motor Speedway? Why is it that Bangalore has not got a race track? Is it because business may not be brisk? Apart from
  1. Owning a suitably big piece of land say around 5 acres
  2. Getting a layout plan from knowledgeable people/designers in the racing industry
  3. Capital for construction and basic infrastructure
  4. Getting all necessary permissions and licenses

Is there anything that stands in the way of a small-ish race track anywhere in India? Sorry if I'm being too naive..
reswaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 14:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post

Is there anything that stands in the way of a small-ish race track anywhere in India? Sorry if I'm being too naive..
Let me try and answer

1: Cost of the land. The rate of return around Bangalore is low. You will need to travel some distance. The land will need to be located off a major route to ensure connectivity

2: Designing the track - It is not the case of putting in some curves and straight, one needs to consider drainage, run off areas, etc

3: Cost of the track - You need to do do more than merely build a road - it has to be properly level, no undulations, run off areas, safety barriers. Unfortunately, we do not have any disused airstrips which have these (nearest one is Kolar but the air force will not give it up) which could be adapted into a race track

3: Maintaining the track - From sweeping to re-surfacing

4: Marketing the track - you need to attract events, for that you need spectators for this, you need connectivity, a vicious cycle.

Ideally, if a disused airstrip can be converted to a track, this would be an ideal start, Buddh excepted, the other race tracks in India were built purely with passion in mind and not with a profit motive.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 14:39   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
[*]Owning a suitably big piece of land say around 5 acres[/list]
5 Acres would be totally unrealistic.

One would (in my conservative estimate) require at least 30 to 50 acres or more of land, to have a proper track, buffer zone, additional safety zones, administration building, medical emergency facilities, workshop/ pit facilities, some garaging facilities, security spaces, spectator and grandstand facilities and of course, the all important Food and Beverage facilities as well.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
5 Acres would be totally unrealistic.

One would (in my conservative estimate) require at least 30 to 50 acres or more of land, to have a proper track, buffer zone, additional safety zones, administration building, medical emergency facilities, workshop/ pit facilities, some garaging facilities, security spaces, spectator and grandstand facilities and of course, the all important Food and Beverage facilities as well.
If you want at least a 800m straight which can also double up for drags (which is what most tracks try to do), considering the above parameters mentioned, I think you would need close to 100 acres.

Additionally, like mentioned above, there is a lot of difference in just having a road to race and a track that can be certified for formula use. Anyone considering investing in a track will want to ensure that it is certified so that at least a couple of big events can run to offset the cost and that means having to invest a lot in the infrastructure.

So, Someone who has lots of land + willing to invest in the infra + has interest in Motorsports. Who can I think of now?
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 13:28   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Point well taken. Whats the fun in racing without a reasonable grandstand facing - "straight" stretch?
Your point about "certification" and "rating" is absolutely important if the idea is to hold reasonable competitions there.
I guess that 30-50 acres may accommodate a Go Karting Track of sorts and no more than that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
If you want at least a 800m straight which can also double up for drags (which is what most tracks try to do), considering the above parameters mentioned, I think you would need close to 100 acres.

Additionally, like mentioned above, there is a lot of difference in just having a road to race and a track that can be certified for formula use. Anyone considering investing in a track will want to ensure that it is certified so that at least a couple of big events can run to offset the cost and that means having to invest a lot in the infrastructure.

So, Someone who has lots of land + willing to invest in the infra + has interest in Motorsports. Who can I think of now?
Old 12th April 2013, 13:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

With 100 acres even in the periphery of Bengaluru, think about the huge money you can make building dwellings unless if its for something as huge as formula 1.
Old 18th April 2013, 21:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

While someone is at building a track, please leave some space for a karting track and about 450x450 sqft for a RC car track.
Old 18th April 2013, 21:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

What is the size of the land plot for the 2 existing tracks?
Sirperambudur
Coiambatore
Old 18th April 2013, 23:16   #13
BHPian

Approximate areas are:

Chennai track: 180 acres
Coimbatore track: 42 acres

These areas might be very rough. Stitched Google earth images, scaled them on autocad for the measurement. But they should be in the ballpark.
My architecture dissertation was a local racetrack so had the data somewhere on the pc.

The problem of generating profit is huge: The track like Buddh is so expensive that it cannot affect the grassroots interest for the sport in any way. The track has to be accessible, affordable and multifunction. Motorsport is very addictive but you need to draw in people in the first place. All this is just for the weekend. The main deal is how the track is used on the weekdays. That's where the solution lies.
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 18:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
These areas might be very rough. Stitched Google earth images, scaled them on autocad for the measurement. But they should be in the ballpark.
My architecture dissertation was a local racetrack so had the data somewhere on the pc.
Thanks! If you wish to share your project presentation, I'm sure it would be a treat for us bhipans
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:17   #15
BHPian

[list=1][*]Owning a suitably big piece of land say around 5 acres
-min 50 aces required for a 2.5 km track with all the facilities mentioned previously. Rates for that plot of land is 300 plus cr around Bangalore best bet will be about 150 km from Bangalore into TN or AP as the have barren uncultivable land the govt will sell at rates ranging from 10 to 15 lac acre based in how close its to the nh7. Also no restriction that like in KA that no farmers can't hold that big part of land.

[*]Getting a layout plan from knowledgeable people/designers in the racing industry.
-international circuit replicas can be made with customisation. These track deigns are there in public domain and can be found in google in detail to some extent. Remaining need to get some one to chalk out the finer details like the banking angle and run off section width, gravel trap depths material and effectiveness. Pit lane approach and exit, block off that can make the tracks shorter for bikers while the full length track can be used for 4 wheelers. Easy access entry n exit points for the safety and emergency services to be able to cut across the track than rather ride n it in even to accident.

[*]Capital for construction and basic infrastructure
-23 to 32 lac per km of road based on the quality amount of levelling required. For the building 1400 to 1800 a square feet bare minimum.
[*]Getting all necessary permissions and licenses.
- probably can ask some of the madras motor sports club members what they did for getting permission. As far as I knw u need to get clearance for the land acquisition and permission for fire and safety. You May need something related to the local states Amit betting and lottery law s that there is no betting on the races that are held.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks