Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2006, 20:53   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
The Baleno didn't disappoint on track. Even with my ragged driving style, I clocked 1.23.368...Mohnish, with a much smoother style, got in a 1.23.129...body roll is evident, but the Baleno is sprung to be comfortable on almost any terrain, so it's a happy tradeoff.

The Vtec didn't do so bad, as some posts suggest. OHCs are scheduled for a suspension revamp around the 40k mark, so the wallowing rear was always expected. Anyway, a lot of respect for Ajmat, who put his car where it matters, on track, not on talk.
Couldnt get myself a timed session with the baleno , as we ran out of cars .. Wanted to see what i could do in comparison to monish and v1p3r .. But i guess until next time .. However a few points about the baleno .. The car is bloody brilliant around the track .. The gearing helps a lot , and doesnt let one down no matter what .. The body roll is evident into C1 , but what was rather disappointing was the lack of grip bcoz of the worn out tyres .. These tyres already had done a track day previously and were 22k kms old .. Whereas we had videos of the baleno doing 160 km/hr on the mainstraight at the last event , this time around i touched a max of 140 km/hr as the grip levels coming out of the last corner was absolutely lacking .. v1p3r next time we need GOOD TYRES ..

Coming to the VTEC the car wasnt actually that bad on track .. I had the oppurtunity to watch 3 VTECs and a 1.5 EXI in action .. The problem was with ajmat was trying to push too hard into the corners .. Unlike the conventional slow entry, quick exit i saw the black VTEC strugling for grip on the mid-corner/exit due to the hot entry .. Whereas the other VTECs did pretty well .. The baleno was way quicker in the inner section , im comparing it to the other VTEC too .. But back on the main straight the VTEC was a bit quicker .. The baleno was upto the mark on the straight , however a bit slower down the straights than the VTEC .. The rear is the problem with the VTEC which is slowing it down considerably in the inner section ..

However , as stock cars from the factory given the same/similar driver the baleno is quicker of the two .. Atleast on the MMST short loop ..

Yes and like v1p3r said i really appreciate ajmat for putting the VTEC on track to put an end to the debate ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 6th February 2006 at 20:58.
Old 6th February 2006, 20:54   #122
Senior - BHPian

Nice report there mclaren. Cant wait to join you guys once my exams get over!!

btw , who all from Chennai were there?
Old 6th February 2006, 21:08   #123
BHPian

One of the best weekends of my life, had a blast, the energy around the pits before each session was awsome,

Thanks guys we all made the first MMST Track Day a huge sucuess...

Cheers,
Old 6th February 2006, 21:09   #124
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore bhpians at track day:
1)Rudra Sen
2)Ajmat
3)Jaggu
4)Psycho
5)v1p3r
6)mclaren1885
7)Poncho

Chennai Bhpians:
1)nitrous (obvious )
2)Hianoo
3)Neoranjit with his cousin
4)5u3zero
5)Tifosikrishna
6)SaP
7)Sideways, 8)BikerSG --of course
9)kiku007
10)PJSPEED
Old 6th February 2006, 22:14   #125
BANNED

Report on the FISSME's ..

Fissme Session (Day 1) : These were the machines i was so looking forward too .. This was the reason i made the whole trip .. And the time had come ... Once that we were all done with the cars and the bikes session the last session of the day was that of the FISSME's ..

Karun Chandok the current A1 GP driver and son of Vicky Chandok whose dad builds the FISSME's was out with the briefing .. Rules were simple :

1. Get used to the cars before pushing them .. They are RWD so behave differently into the corners and the likes unlike FWDs ..
2. Stay away from the kerbs as far as possible .. Unless u want to get it UP THE A#S ..
3. Stick to gear shifts to 5k mark on the tacho ..
4. Stay off the grass and gravel , if u do so come in for a preliminary check bcoz the grass entering the side pods can overheat the engine ..

I was waiting for this from the last track day .. At the last event , i had the oppurtunity to take the FISSME's out onto track for 4 laps (1 outlap , 2 hot laps , 1 in lap) .. The outlap was quite uneventful with the getting used to the car kinda driving .. Pushed hard on the 1st hot lap and was quite satisfied .. Tried doing the same on the 2nd hot lap and spun of on C2 and nearly got run over by the son-dad duo on the EVO 6 and the BMW M3 .. Came in to find out that my 1st hot lap was 16 secs of the lap record .. So this time i went with a mind set to improve the timing and to atleast 10 secs of the lap record..

Soon after the briefing we all got into the FISSME's .. That includes ajmat , vasu , psycho and the entire gang from RAC ..
Psycho had big time trouble getting into the FISSME and even harder time trying to sit in it .. Evidently his legs were so long that he was riding the clutch as it is .. So deciding that he couldnt do it he stepped out of the car ..

I got into one of the FISSME's , and started her up but when i was test braking the thing ajmat figured out that the break oil was leaking profusely .. Oh yes it was , thanks ajmat for saving my life .. Had i gone onto do some hot laps would surely have done some potential danger to myself .. The mechs tried changing the wire where it was leaking but couldnt rectify it so i was offered a spare car and i was alloted the next session .. Once the previous session got over , got myself into the FISSME and all buckled up decided to head onto track ..

I must say that that tiny 800 engine is surely a monster on the lightweight car .. Having set my goal to be 10 secs of the lap record , went about trying to achieve it .. And i must say in the 1st few laps though i was really flying i wasnt happy with the way i was approaching the corners .. Felt i was still slow .. So upped the gas and with every corner i was impressed .. Few times , when i down shifted into 3rd the car would slide bcoz of the weight trasfer, it was fun correcting the slide but at such high speeds got a bit scary too .. On one lap at C2 , i was right at the tail of one of the RAC boys and he lost control and spun and having no choice but to go off track i went over the kerbs and onto the grass .. Came back out did a slow lap to see if i had any sand or grass stuck in the cooling pods due to which the engine could overheat .. Didnt see anything happen so got down to business..

On lap 5 onwards i went totally allout .. Was very confident about lap 7 to be the fastest ... Lap 8 was even better atleast by a sec and a half .. But at the last corner , ran wide onto the kerb and the car spun off spectacularly on the back straight .. I could see tyre smoke from all sides , the car had stalled and could see anxious faces all around the pit wall including that of all the members who were watching .. My heart did skip a beat for once , and like usual started the car back , and went onto finish the rest of the session .. Came back into the pits at the end of the session and headed to KC to figure out how i had timed .. And i was shocked to hear my timing .. The guy with the timing equipments said i had clocked 4.7 secs slower than the lap record ... I had clocked a 1:17:38 where as the last time i had clocked a 1:28.xx .. I was more than satisfied actually was jumping up with joy .. And lap 7 was only my 11th lap on a FISSME in totallity .. Lap 9 was quicker but i spun off .. Wanted to have a try again the next day but budget didnt permit me to .. The rest were lapping in the 1:20:xx whereas one guy who drove FISSMEs regularly lapped a 1:15.xx and my timing happened to be the 2nd fastest for the two days .. Or atleast thats what i was told .. Wanted to see the pros JD , KC and the others battle it out but they didnt .. Maybe next time i could request them to take me onto track and teach me the ultimate racing lines , braking points etc etc .. JD , u listening ????

Feedback from KC was that it was a good timing , however he said i was trying too hard too soon .. He said it takes all of one full day to get to the 1:14s .. And that i was over-revving the engine and had to take care of that .. I carefully listened to the feedback he had to give and promised him that at the next track day i would certainly try everything that he said .. He told me in detail why i had spun off on the main straight .. And it did help me a lot .. Thanks KC ..

These cars are excellent drivers cars , its the next best thing u can get into than the LGB's for amatuers.. All those who missed these missed quite a lot and im sure ajmat would vouch for it .. They are quick , unforgiving and bloody FUN !!!! Planning to take part in the scholarship class this year if i can get the financial backing from my family , so eagerly waiting for things to work out .. The FISSME's surely made my trip worthwhile .. And next time i shall get to the MMST no matter what and preferably with my own ride along with my own FISSME if all goes well ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 6th February 2006 at 22:20.
Old 7th February 2006, 00:22   #126
Team-BHP Support

Get to know the track.

Bangy blues.

Sanjay Agarwal.

Rtech, I buy your point, Bikes are more fun to shoot.

Look at the scraping knee pad! Is this Maini (REVA), Jaggu?

Anybody know his name? Jaggu??

Maini again! Jaggu, right?

Look at the tyres coming out of the rims!

Vasu (psycho's partner in crime), all out to go.

Do we know this one?

Bumble bee!!

Sideway's baby.

Ready to burn the track.

Smooth and lovely in corners..LadybirdZ from Nissan.

Roadstar at play.

And after play.
Old 7th February 2006, 00:57   #127
Senior - BHPian

really awesome pics there by RudraSen... each and every snap is very clear and is of pro quality... what cam do u use Rudra?

i cant possilbly decide which is my fav snap tho... the bikes, the porsche, the first snap where everyone is gettin to know the track... all are way too cool....
Old 7th February 2006, 01:28   #128
BHPian

nice pics, to clarify some names

4th pic from top - Stanley, CBR 929
5th from top - Chetan Maini, Katana 600
6th from top - Poncho, 1000rr

all from Bangy
Old 7th February 2006, 01:29   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
i forgot to add, I was powering too much into corners (Ayub's feedback) and expecting too much from my car. I was trying to to keep up with the E-Zen. There was a modded Accent Viva, that guy kept spinning off the track. Never ran after the third session
I guess it all boils down to technique. What I found is that when you have a FWD car that is really understeery, you need to be gentle with your turn-in. Over-agreesive turn-in (Alonso stlye) will generate massive push and you'll never make it to the apex. You can make it up at the exit by getting on the gas sooner. (at least compared to an RWD). That's the whole art of setting up a car to a person's driving style. Your technique must have suited the FISSMES really well.

Last edited by Mpower : 7th February 2006 at 01:33.
Old 7th February 2006, 01:34   #130
Senior - BHPian

My fav is 'Waiting to burn the track'
Waiting for more,Rudra.
Old 7th February 2006, 01:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nice pics, to clarify some names

4th pic from top - Stanley, CBR 929
5th from top - Chetan Maini, Katana 600
6th from top - Poncho, 1000rr

all from Bangy
Correct. Pretty good at ur info,killer.
I'll never forget Stan and his 'never say die' attitude. Bangy boys would know what i'm talking about.
Old 7th February 2006, 02:00   #132
Senior - BHPian

How long does it take to learn how to drive a Esteem on a track

Well here goes my tale from the time I get to the track:

Day one:
Session One(Cars):
I am still trying to finish the paperwork since we reached just at the briefing time, hence I do not have a chance to get on track.

Session Two(Cars):

Vasu wants to start the run on the Conti, and I am offered the Seina's keys by Mohnish. Start off driving behind Ajmat with McLaren this is my first time on track with a car and a unfamiliar one, thought that I would take a couple of laps with McLaren pointing out the racing lines to learn the ropes.

Started off with an Average lap keeping the car within its limits and behind Ajmat, everyting seemed fine till we hit the loop and thats when I realise the VTEC is sliding in and I will have to do so too, on entering the curve I was quite confident till the length of the loop had the rear squealing and then all went quiet and I remark the wheel just lifted, McLaren is suddenly staring all around. get the car back on all wheels and make a mental note not to come in so fast. See Ajmat sliding in on the slow lef and brake hard to slow down and not slide (Did I mention I hate loosing control of cars especially if they drift out of control... well more on this at the end of this post), get on to the bridge and back to the staright. I am not impressed, why? well I really thought it would be harder. The rest of the session goes with me trying to keep all wheels planted firmly on the ground, allow McLaren get the gear knob back on every time it came off and managing the figure 8 steering on the car. Four laps in I see the conti on the grass (continue on trying to figure out what could have gone wrong). At the end of the session we pull into the pit lane and realise on round one Conti is having prob's with weight transfer (thanks to my sister deciding to fly in on the 4 o'clock flight, didnt even get a chance to package the 15 inchers in), and also ends up running out of gas. Should have filled it up before we got the track. Decide to retire the poor old car. (Well did I say I found the track too easy...)

Session 3(Cars):

Having decided to try out the track esteems I head out with Ayub who is the current national champion on the wheel of his esteem with me riding shotgun to learn the ropes. He shows me each line braking point and I suddenly realise whoa I need to learn a lot more, three laps in I have literally mugged all the instructions given. Ayub then hands me the wheel and he rides shotgun, he is pointing out errors as I move through the track and keeps ging me tips on what to expect and how to react. The next ten laps putting each word into practice and trying to get better, I fall in love with the suspension and tell Ayub so and he immediately replies you ought to try the race esteems with the fully blown suspension, We get into the pits and I am still trying to remember every word he said on the track, we go to Sideways I debrief him on what happened, Ayub felt I was a bit agressive, so another mental note to calm down. (Still think I can manage to drive the race esteems easy) Request Sideways for a fully blown car for the next day and wait for the FISSME.

Session 4(Cars):

Still waiting to get onto the track with the FISSME, and didnt want ot sit out of this session, ask Viper if I can drive his car and he hands me the keys. Mohnish and me get in with me on the wheel. Take the car in and find it loosing grip over each lap, however it means I have to drive on the racing line without loosing grip and find my timing across the track improving. On the sixth lap as I am coming out of the corner, the rear right tyre clips the kerb and it slide the opposite side to what I was expecting, to avoid the car from flipping I steer into the slide and the car slide imm to the other way, recorrect and roll off the track, check for traffic and get back to the track go around another not feeling comfortable and keeping the car in the third gear and get back into the pits. Kick myself for letting it happen and promise myself not to over do the lines.

Session 5 (FISSME):

Try getting into the cart and I cannot fit, feel bad get out and request Sideways if I can take the race esteem out for 3 sessions instead of the one I had planned on and drop out of the FISSME sessions, he agrees. Get back post the sessions and crash out at the hotel.

Day 2:

I am booked in to drive the race esteems for three sessions (1, 3, 4) thought the break would allow me some time to rethink my driving style.

Session 1:

I am given JD's Esteem to drive and JD requests his Dad and his mentor (KD) to take me out for a few laps. As we are belting in he asks me if I am familiar with the track and reply saying that I have done about 40 laps the previous day. As we pull out of the pit lane I tell Mr. KD the problems I am facing on the track, he then throws a literal bomb on me saying by the way do you know that this car does not have a brake booster, I am stunned. He says you will have to literally have to stand on the brake to slow it down( I am on loss of words) as we pull on to the track. He then continues on to show me the ropes and I realise that this car is behaving differently, his moves are like tai-chi and I am having problems remebering them, before I realise it his 3 laps are over and it is my turn to drive, I am confused as I head out to the track as I reach C2 the car slides and I know I am in trouble ( Hmm didnt I say it was easy) spend the next 8 laps trying to understand the car, realise each steering input sends the car sliding like a go-cart. I also face some problems shifting gears so i decide to complete the entire session on the thrid gear to keep a check on speed and try and get the lines correctly. Get back into the pits ( with my confidence in the pits too) hand it over to the mechs to check the gear issues, and hobble over to JD to recite my tale of woe.

Session 2 :

I sit out and explain my problem to Sideways and JD and JD asks me to go out with Arun for the third session.

Session 3:

I quietly get into the car and tell Arun I have tried over 10 laps with the car and I not able to get it, so he decides to show me the ropes again, I sit and watch each move. When my turn comes I realise in my confusion on how to drive the car I am actually driving like a clumsy fool, come back into the pits early and beg JD to come along and help, he slithers out of the press meet he has to help me out for the next session.

Session 4:

JD climbs into the car, and listens to me again and asks me to get onto the track and drive the lap at 80% of my best on this car, we do 2 laps, he asks me to push it to 90% we fininsh one more lap with me sliding on C2 and JD giving me a split second training session on how to use the throttle to get it back in control, car is back in control and I now am slightly out of my fear of going into an uncontrollable spin.

We reach the straight gunning it, here JD asks me to stop midway on the right of the track and spends 5 minutes telling me where I went wrong and where I need to improve, I byheart each word and confirm that i have got him right.

I get back on to the track following each instruction to the dot, start pushing my limits on the car ( please note I really felt that I was not driving the car it was more like I was prodding it to respond and hope it would), I realise it did handle the way JD explained and it did behave itself if driven right at a certain speed, use the rest of the laps to keep pusing it faster and faster ( mainly because JD was not ready to let me ease off and he kept screaming his head off on me till he was satisfied) thank god he did that

We get back into the pits with me being a satisfied guy and I debrief myself to JD who again gives me a couple of more tips to further improve myself on the track(more to remember till next track day). I thank each one of them profusely for showing me how to drive...

----

Well I get back to Bangalore and realise I am so far off from having learnt how to drive, it is like me being glad I learnt the letters and then realising there are words too...

----

I guess the learning to drive the esteem is going to be a long and enjoyable experience, and I hope to cherish it till I am ready for the next car on the track, hopefully the learning will be a little easier the next time around(well no harm in keeping my fingers crossed)

Thank you one and all who showed me the way how to and to those who will show me the way in the time to come, I am really thankful that such an event can be used by people like us to learn that driving cars is so much more than just the gears, steering accelerator, brakes etc...
Old 7th February 2006, 09:07   #133
BANNED

Report Day 2 ..

After a rather big g2g at the resort , we had dinner and chatted away to glory .. All of us got into our beds as excited as hell awaiting the 1st sun rays ..

All of us get up on time and get ready and reach the track bang on time .. Briefing begins yet again , and a few newbies get the to-do's and not's advise from KC , JD , poncho ..

The previous day the baleno was not handling very well owing to the rather bald tyres .. So we decided to swap the tyres with the sienna .. However on account of not reaching early to the track i had bear the brunt of taking the baleno out on the bald tyres out onto track..

Session I (cars) : A few new cars entered the track, however it fun as usual nonetheless .. The baleno was mishandling badly if it was pushed .. To make the decision simpler for me i saw a pair of headlight flashing at me .. Yes it was the blue/silver esteem fo the current rally 1400 class champion sanjay agarwal .. Decided that i would push him and not give up rather that easily .. And boy didnt the challenge pump me up .. Kept him behind me for the next 4 laps and even managed to build up a lead over him .. Coming to think of it now , his esteem must be nearly running 100 horses and has way better PTWR than the baleno .. He was running track tyres , rally suspension , modded gearbox , etc etc and im sure the baleno was quicker than him .. Or was it driver talent .. Bcoz 2 guys who drove the baleno came out in front of him in the timed sessions..

After the initial battle with sanjay, decided to let him pass as i was having "zero" grip levels .. Now that i was on a empty track up ahead of me decided to check the limits of the baleno , to see where it would loose its rear end rather badly .. And it did happen , right out of the corner where rudra was taking pics the day before the car lost all traction and went of onto the grass .. Car fishtails right , correct it and this time it fishtails left .. Correct that and it moves out the other way .. The car went out 4 times each time in the opposite directions .. While i was out trying to keep the car in control , vasu was rather looking at me shocked , wondering if we would get out alive ..

At the next lap , on the same corner was going in hot .. When i was about to turn in i felt the steering responce give away.. Tried correcting , not happening .. By now the car is going into the turn totally sideways , off onto the grass and still screaming for traction .. By now vasu is all scared and bitten and from the corner of my eye , i could see him clutching tightly to the seat .. Powered out of the slide , which hadnt dittered me since and i was comfy handling the car into a stop .. Then headed further and thats when it hit me .. Took the car onto the long loop start stretch , over the tyre barriers to block the entrance to the long loop and got it to a halt .. We both got out , and as i expected a blown right rear .. The sidewall had split completely .. Thats why i lost all steering response into the corner , bcoz the tyre blew .. Whew that was one hell of an experience .. Went out into the pits with monish who was kind enought to stop and pick me up in his car .. Out with the jack in the safety car and got the baleno back into the pits .. v1p3r and gang were shocked to see the baleno out of action for quite a while , and when he saw me coming into the pits in the sienna a few thougth the car had crashed .. Then saw a big relief on his face when i said we just had a blown tyre ..

End of session and i was busy trying to get out the feeling that i had just gotten away with a blown tyre ..

Session II (cars) : The baleno had to sit out , due to lack of grippy tyres .. She was to swap the tyres with the sienna as monish had decided to retire the sienna .. So the entire 2nd session we were busy swapping the tyres .. Not much action .. End of car session and the bikes session begins ..

This was the best part of the two days .. Heard sideways saying " go check out the guy whose riding poncho's bike.. He is bloody brialliant " .. Went out onto the pit wall and baby !!!! It was none other than dilip rogers himself (rider who races in malaysia) .. He was bloody quick , and belive it or not from over 200+ he went into the 1st corner doing a stoppie .. Yes u didnt hear a word wrong . A STOPPIE .. He breaked so late that the rear wheel just popped up and fell back and he turned into the corner .. WOOOOW .. That was indeed shocking .. And he had the B###S to brake that late , whereas the entire gang was braking or letting of the gas halfway on the straight dilip carried it off and braked only around 15 feet from the turn-in point .. He was the true sign of a PRO .. And over the next two laps he did a stoppie again while braking hard for turn 1 .. Over the next lap he did a super wheelie coming out of the last turn .. The crowd was so impressed that when he came rolling into the pits he got a standing awation.. I was busy frantically clapping myslef ..

Session III (cars) : v1p3r goes out with the baleno with monish riding shotgun .. They do a slow lap (rather slow compared to what it actually looks like) .. Monish was busy filming the lap with v1p3r's cam .. They had a great time in the baleno now that it was running way better rubber and hence better grip levels and also a universal K&N .. This session was timed , so i can vouch that v1p3r gunned the car as best as he could to get a good lap timing in .. End of session and he comes into the pits satisfied ..

Session IV (cars) : Monish drives the baleno with v1p3r riding shotgun .. They came into the pits rather early .. Thats when we realised that they had overcooked a corner , ran onto the kerbs and shredded a tyre completely .. Baleno retires ..

But the retirement of the baleno wasnt a detterant for the two .. They headed out to see their lap timings .. And boy o boy werent they shocked .. Monish and v1p3r's timings ended up right up ahead of sanjay agarwal the 1400 cc INRC winner .. The two were quicker than him in the two sessions .. That made v1p3r's visit worthwhile .. Wanted to see what i could have timed with the baleno but as i said earlier we ran out of time , bcoz we had to skip one session owing the tyre change .. It came as a shock to me bcoz the esteem was running the entire rally suspension , etc etc and yet turned out to be slower than a stock baleno with bad rubber ..

After the last session , did all the formal byes to the gang at chennai and headed of to bangalore .. We had dinner at chittor with the entire gang discussing what went wrong where .. And thus the most exciting weekend of our lives came to an end and i had a tough time going to sleep .. Now that i was back at home , i rather missed the track and the frenzy that it got along with it .. With a ray of hope that the next track day would be sooner than what i was told went off to bed .. End of report .. Now for the other boys to come out with pics and videos .. Signing off ..
Old 7th February 2006, 09:17   #134
BANNED

Vote of thanks to the gang ..

Sideways , JD , KC , Bikersg and all the others .. On behalf of the entire gang that participated from tbhp i thank u all for giving us this great oppurtunity to test our skills and cars on a track .. The initiative is very appreciated and the entire event was pulled of superbly .. These guys though at the pinnacle of motorsports in india , were down to the earth and had no qualms whatsoever mingling with us ...
A big warm thanks once again for showcasing such an event for us .. Now its time for the applause .. Well done guys .. Hats of to ya all ..
PS : U guys better start deciding the dates for the next track day ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 7th February 2006 at 09:18.
Old 7th February 2006, 09:47   #135
BHPian

rudra sir, pictures are very good. particularly bumble bee was brilliant. looking forward to another photography session with you.

tifosi.

Most Viewed