Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2004, 20:21   #1
BHPian

hi
has any one in the team raced or driven a rotax go kart?
i belive it has a 125cc engine which belts out around 28 bhp & can rev all the way to 8000 or 9000 rpm.....
driving impressions anybody??
Old 29th September 2004, 17:44   #2

Hi,
I have driven a arotax hereinausi and its a good kart..........It revs up to about 12000 rmp depending on the throttle opened. Also its fast. Trust me drive one whever you can. Its good. Any details you can mail me. also have a look at:
http://pranavjairam.tripod.com
Under this have a look at racing and theres a page on the rotax kart.

Pranav JAiram
Old 29th September 2004, 18:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

I've driven the Rotax at the Bangalore circuit, Speedzone i believe its called.

How is it to drive. Well, prior to that, the fastest kart I had driven was the 15hp Mondials. So, the rotax has double the power and stickier tyres...should be amazing!

I wasn't dissapointed. Although the ones I drove were slightly detuned as they are used for the school there (still makes 28hp instead of the 32) they were still very impressive.

At first I thought that it would be tough to drive, but it was exactly the opposite. These Rotax karts (or any proper racing kart for that matter) as simply so easy to drive fast. Do 10 laps in a regualr rental kart and you come out sweating. Do 10 laps in this and you don't feel a thing. It just handles so beautifully, needing a light touch on the steering. The grip in the corners is what blows you away. You really have to learn to brake much later and much less than you think you can. Have faith in the kart and it will get you around the corner.

The power delivery is typical 2-stroke. Nothing at all down low, but pass that particular revv band, it simply explodes. You really have to keep the revs from droping too much in the corners or it will just bog down. That means you have to be real smooth. Slide the rear and you lose time again.

They really had to physically stop me from just continuing indefinitely around the circuit, as with each corner and each lap, I became more comfortable with the kart and was pushing that bit extra!

I definitely recommend everyone atleast trying one of these karts out.

I believe Narang's circuit in Mumbai has a couple of these karts as well, however you won't really experience their true nature on this small track, but its better than nothing.

Rt
Old 29th September 2004, 23:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

On a slightly off note:

Hey Pranav Jairam from Australia, is that you?

Welcome back pal, long time since we saw you on Formula India. Great to know you are still around. Welcome back.

BTW, any idea Rtech as to when the master blaster and the master cook have decided to open up that circuit? It's nearly a month since they were to start and it hasn't as yet.

Revv

Most Viewed