Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2004, 00:05   #1
BANNED

Just found a pic of mine driving in the Maruti Autocross held in Noida beginning of this yr. This was my friends esteem which I used at the last minute and it had no mods at all, just a stock family car and I still ended up 4th ... The next edition is gonna have me in the baleno as well as the esteem category !!! And with a modded car ...LOL /...I wanna kick butt and WIN ... cant wait till Jan

Old 1st October 2004, 00:13   #2
BHPian

sweet stuff..great pic...I would also love to do this..too bad I am almost never there after 5-7th of jan..

Old 1st October 2004, 01:15   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey pretty sweet picture..and ranking. But 4th out of what?

Tell us more about the auto-cross. Whats it about and how are the winners chosen?

GTO
Old 1st October 2004, 14:51   #4
BANNED

GTO, If u notice carefully u'll realise there's dust to my left as if a car has just passed. Actually there r 2 cars on the track at a isngle time and u racing against each other. ( 2 independent tracks ) Initially the cars r divided into separate categories, eg maruti 800, esteem 1.3, !000 cc category which has the old gypsys, then theres the 1300 cc gypsy cat and also has a zen category and the open class with the balenos. Initially u get to do 2 laps around the track and ur timings are noted ( all computerised like the international rally super special stages) . Depending on the number of entries and ur time the best 8 r taken for the next round. Then its a knock out round with the loser just getting knocked out. Its gud fun over the week end .... !! Ill post sum more pics ....

Cheers

P.S -- I came 4th in the esteem 1.3 category out of a total of about 30 - 35 esteems.
Old 1st October 2004, 15:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey thats pretty sweet racing. I have seen something similar on star sports with Rossi, Burns and many other motorsport personalities going against each other on short (<60 seconds) tracks.

GTO
Old 1st October 2004, 15:13   #6
BANNED

Thats me on the left and guess whos in the other lane .... none other than Leelakrishnan in his MRF sponsored Esteem. Was I NERVOUS or was I NERVOUS , but then I guess luck favors the BRAVE ( ME ). I won ... how that happened pls dont ask. All u need to know is that I won and he got knocked out in the quarter finals.

Old 1st October 2004, 15:17   #7
BANNED

Sum more pics from the autox '04

Old 1st October 2004, 21:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite an adventure u has there khaadu.
Good pics.!
X
Old 1st October 2004, 21:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey just noticed the Autocross is sponsered by Speed(BP).
Seems like they are trying to change the way of driving in India.

Good job!

X
Old 3rd October 2004, 04:22   #10
BHPian

First of all - a big hi to all the folks here at team-bhp.com...

*Nice Pics...and a damned good result i'd say - 4th with a lot of experienced rallyists around !

edit : whoa ...you beat Leelakrishnan ! neat driving there !

I've taken part in the 2002/03/04 autocrosses in my stock '96 Esteem (carb) with none too good results

In 2002 I qualified 12th (16 move on from the initial time trials for a knockout stage - 8 in case wherethere are lesser entries - balenos) - then my next race was with Vijayant Chaudhary in his MRF Esteem....don't have to tell you who won !

2003 - 18th

2004 - 17th !!! that really pissed me off - won the race against a new Esteem - got a decent time as well but racked up 55 secs in penalties(5 secs per penalty - *11 ) I think.

Next race I'll be there if i still have the Esteem and i get the steering column and suspension fixed - or I if buy a Baleno.

Too bad they stopped other manufacturers except Maruti after the 2002 one (held in Delhi - Nehru Place) - maybe something to do with the Honda City winning the 1600 cc class with a Baleno and Esteem 2nd and 3rd !) - Could try with my folks' Palio Adventure 1.6....

as i remember some of the safety needs to be improved -
after a fast straight opposite the pits leading

into a left hander - one gypsy overturned....the crowd tries to come in too close and with most participants being amateurs the crowd needs to be kept further away......in other incidents - a zen shredded it's rims, an esteem came down too fast over the bridge - smashed it's front *end and another Gypsy lost a gearbox. - 2002 had a painful show of a green baleno sliding sideways twice and really banging up it's rear doors.

I had a scary moment when i was heading towards the 'tunnel' below the bridge where the tracks cross over-heading towards the walls -corrected at the last moment. -

My exhaust - silencer actually got cracked in the morning on the way to the race leading to a very nice sound
which seemed cool for a week before i realised i looked like a complete twat pretending to be mr cool rally driver in his festooned with stickers esteem. (The travails I had to endure trying to make it on time for the race is a story for another time ).

There was some cool music played when the cars started off (AC/DC - 'You shook me all night long' - yeah baby !!!) but which turned into a recorded roar of cars starting off - it's a bit strange seeing an 800 start off and a loud roar of an F1 car being played through giant speakers)

There were also some reports in a newspaper about a supposed bias towards some of the big names - especially in the Chandigarh round - some of the other guys complained.

Maruti along with Motorcraft and Performance Auto (who run Northern Motorsport IIRC ) should market it better..most people don't know of it at all ...maybe MUL should try and incorporate it into it's marketing program - think big MUL -growing exposure and young 'uns dreaming of your cars...then maybe launch a limited edition, stripped down interiors in an Esteem/Baleno with some real go-faster bits...

btw , you might want to check out www.northernmotorsport.net - more details and pics of the Autocross, RdH, RDS.

also anyone has an idea what the Jaypee Race of Champions autocross is about ? - it's hardly advertised -www.hyperformancemotorrsports.com - they allow all vehicles - qualises to e classes ?

btw the Maruti Suzuki Autocross is held in 3 cities - Jaipur, Chandigarh and Noida. (Jan/Feb) - the other main events in these parts are the Rally Desert Storm (Delhi-Bikaner-Jaipur IIRC) in April and of course the Raid-de-Himalaya...

zaphod

Most Viewed