Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:34   #16
BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki Esteem Lx(2005)

The paint of the bumper is a little scraped off..

O yea... The horn was MISSING!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports! WITH PICS-123.jpg  

My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports! WITH PICS-215593_10150563924600006_847920005_17643334_7650632_n.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th June 2011 at 13:12. Reason: Similar posts merged to keep all the content in the same post. Thanks
sgchaudhuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 12:28   #17
BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki Esteem
Year:2005
Colour: Silver
ODO: 36,716kms
Owners: Single
Condition: Stock
Insurance: Valid till 10/2011
Tax: Paid till 2014

Price: 1.15L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Congratulations Souvik,
Wishing you the very best for many more to come and do keep sharing the nitty gritties of your involvement and progress, there are many who would like to know more about how to go about participating in Motor sport.
Thank you very much Off Roadie... I am getting to the modification process in my upcoming posts. Watch out for this space! Again, Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Welcome from one fan of TSD to another. Be on time. Always. ;-)
Sudev, Thanks, will take your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats on your win.

Wish you many more achievements in motor sports.

Hopefully you will see a Black OHC 1.5 in some rally too one day.
Thanks Rohin... get yourself a dedicated car for rallying if you are planning on doing it seriously! Think about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Now let me think.

2005 Esteem .
Spoil Sport!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiontodrive View Post
Welcome to the world of rallying.. Another rising star.
Congrats on your podium finish.

Hope to see you in Raid De Himalaya 2011 and Desert Storm 2012 also.
Passion to Drive, Thanks for your wishes! Not too sure about what you said about me being "Rising Star" ! Hahah! But, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Wishing you all the very best dude!!hope you go all the way to the top of the inrc and who knows, the wrc events too!!
Hey CarFreak, Thanks a ton! INRC seems possible, but WRC...(ahem!)
One day TSD rallying is burnt a hole in my pocket, big enough to consume a whole cow, let alone INRC OR WRC! Haha! But yea, MAYBE!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Hey Souvik!
Congrats on the win. Good to see, you living upto your dreams. All the best for the new way of life!
Thanks man! The support/help/advice that I'm getting from fellow BHP-ians, is overwhelming! Thanks guys! INSPIRES me perform that much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats on the win!

Please keep the stories rolling
Thanks man! Will do!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Nice start Souvik and an official welcome to the world of motor sports. Here's wishing you more wins in the rallies to come.

Hope your next ride is getting ready at Joydeb-da's.
Saurabh da, Thank you very very much! You have given me direction and help that has made my "crawl" into motorsports very smooth! Thanks for your advice, support and yea, the fire extinguisher!
Cheers, hope to see you in the garage soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneet_ag View Post
Has to be the Gypsy!
Sorry Bro, The cats out of the bag! Check out the pictures unless you already haven't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Hi Mate - Personally If I had a choice, for a starter option I would look at a esteem or a Gypsy (Already have one, getting prepared also), but coming to the disadvantages -
Esteem: 2014 is a long way to go, but it is used in the the raids. even this DS2011, we saw some amazing action on few esteems, while some broke down also
Gypsy: Mate, its next to impossible to source parts unless your up in north (which I presume you are)
Baleno: I love that machine, no disadvantages at all. yeah its quite expensive - but there are worth more rallies than the esteem, faster than the gypsies!! Nowadays we have 1.6lts engines in both the esteems and gypsies been plonked specially for the raids and INRC.

You went for a GYPSY!!!
Hey Twinn, hope the gypsy is coming along well! I did go for an Esteem, worked out better, in terms of price and maintenance!
I am up north, but the situation with the part is no different!
I'll be updating the modification process in my next few posts, so watch out!
and please feel free to leave your comment and suggestions!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What a beautiful thread. I wish all current racers come together here are give us all the info for the wannabe racers. A podium finish in the second rally itself is a good award for the efforts. Keep it up. Looking forward for the rest of the details as well.
Hey Swiftnfurious, Thanks for the compliment! I have managed to bypass many problems that a novice rallying faces, thanks to the guidance I have received from seniors in the circuit, and I am happy to do the same! Thanks!

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th June 2011 at 13:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 24th June 2011, 16:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Choosing the right Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
Thanks Rohin... get yourself a dedicated car for rallying if you are planning on doing it seriously! Think about it!

Spoil Sport!

Yes let me do my 1st Rally atleast in the OHC.After that Ill see how I go along.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:02   #19
BHPian

Re: My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports!

We are all familiar with the saying "The more you spend, the faster you go!" So when it comes to modifications, the sky is the limit! However, it was my budget that kept me closer to the ground!

MODIFICATION STAGE 1

The Statutory/Safety/Strengthening Modifications:
1) INRC Spec Roll Cage
2) TIG Welding
3) Sump & Petrol Tank Guard
4) Engine Cut-off Switch
5) Fire Extinguishers (with Clamp)
6) 4 point seat belts
7) Bonnet & Trunk Safety Lock
8) Battery Clamp
9) Spare tyres clamp (2 nos)
10) Hydraulic Jack Holder
11) Gear Box Pin welding
12) Lower Arm Stiffening

The Performance Modifications:
1) Free Flow Exhaust System
2) Stiffer Suspensions
3) Mud Tyres
4) Sway/Strut Bars front and rear
5) Stage II Clutch

The Accessories:
1) Navigation Board
2) Terra Trip 202+ (with probe)
3) Front Light Bracket
4) 2 Fog Lights(100w) & 2 White Lights(100w)
5) Momo 3-spoke Steering wheel
6) Bucket Seats
7) Hydraulic Clamp
8) Radiator Fan Switch (Direct)
9) Reading Lights
10) Additional Lighter point (for GPS)
11) Wiper Blades
Old 28th June 2011, 14:20   #20
BHPian

Modifications Stage 1

Though the previous list long and desirable, form what little I could scrounge, I HAD to compromise on most and get the basic modifications done!
Further, time was also a limiting factor as, the Kavi Guru Rally 2011 (18th & 19th June 2011) was just around the corner, and Joydev Da(Refer to Post #1) said he wouldn't be able to complete the entire work within the given time frame!

Modifications for 1st Rally :
1) Sump & Petrol Tank Guard
2) Engine Cut-off Switch
3) Fire Extinguishers (with Clamp)
4) Bonnet & Trunk Safety Lock
5) Battery Clamp
6) Spare tyres clamp (2 nos)
7) Hydraulic Jack Holder
8) Gear Box Pin welding
9) Lower Arm Stiffening
10) Free Flow Exhaust System
11) Sway/Strut Bars front and rear
12) Stage II Clutch
13) Navigation Board
14) Spare Meter
15) Front Light Bracket
16) 2 White Lights(100w)
17) Hydraulic Jack
18) Radiator Fan Switch (Direct)
19) Reading Lights
20) Additional Lighter point (for GPS)
21) Wiper Blades

Last edited by sgchaudhuri : 28th June 2011 at 14:22. Reason: Date mentioned of rally was incorrect
Old 28th June 2011, 14:51   #21
BHPian

Making of the FFE!

Gearing up to sound mean and hopefully produce a few more BHP's!
Attached Thumbnails
My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports! WITH PICS-13062011001.jpg  

My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports! WITH PICS-13062011002.jpg  

My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports! WITH PICS-13062011003.jpg  

Old 28th June 2011, 18:04   #22
BHPian

Hi sgchaudhuri. If I am not mistaken, your are the one who was doing those sick wheelspins on the april t-bhp meet.
Anyway, how did you fair in the kavi furu rally? How much more time is it going to take to complete the stage one mods? My father is also thinking of getting an esteem and making slight modifications to it but not for rallies. He intends to keep it those saturday evenings. lol. I will be keeping a close watch on this thread for sure.
Old 28th June 2011, 18:18   #23
BHPian

Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Hi sgchaudhuri. If I am not mistaken, your are the one who was doing those sick wheelspins on the april t-bhp meet.
Anyway, how did you fair in the kavi furu rally? How much more time is it going to take to complete the stage one mods? My father is also thinking of getting an esteem and making slight modifications to it but not for rallies. He intends to keep it those saturday evenings. lol. I will be keeping a close watch on this thread for sure.
Hey! Good to see your post!Yes, you're right it was me trashing my car out during the perfectly good T-BHP meet (before some idiot screwed it up!) You guys (your dad and yourself) disappeared right after the meet! Hope things are good!

Kavi guru was going fine till another idiot (of the same category) pulled off some stunts during the rally got me into a lot of trouble! More about that later! Stay tuned!
Old 28th June 2011, 18:34   #24
BHPian

lol..... Me and my dad waited around for sometime and then realised that planet_rocker, shuvc, the balck fiesta [I forgot his name], the awesome baleno [don't remember his name either] had all left. So we decided to follow suit. Btw, you'll have to agree that although things could have got really messy, it turned out to be rather funny. Boy racer trying to show-off, and in turn making a complete fool of himself. lol.

Back to the topic-The esteem we are looking at is a 2004 model which has run about 94000kms. It belongs to a friend of ours who intends to upgrade soon. I am a little vary about the car as it suffers from quite a few problems:
1. Steering rack and pinion changed once. Thing is, on a very recent trip to maithon, My father felt the steering was going again.
2. Suspension overhauled once at 60000kms. But when I drove it recently, I felt it was a bit too soft. I have very little driving experience but I came to this conclusion after having compared it to my dad's swift on 195/60/15 es 100s. What do you feel?
3. Brake master cylinder had a leakage once. It was replaced. But again, even after the replacement, the bite isn't that great!
3. The car has no major accident records, but is in a not so good condition. Nagging things like, power window failure, wiper motors makes wierd noises which will lead you to believe it is about to go any day, crop up every other day.

My dad is of the opinion that if he can get the car for about 60000-70000 buck and spends another lakh on it, it would be fine. What is your opinion?
Old 28th June 2011, 18:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lol..... Me and my dad waited around for sometime and then realised that planet_rocker, shuvc, the balck fiesta [I forgot his name], the awesome baleno [don't remember his name either] had all left.
Black Fiesta SXi - XetaGLGRocks / Sabby
Modded Black Baleno with Silver & Yellow paint scheme (port+polished, Elektra FFE, after-market air filter, may be few other mods) - vrooooooom / Pushpak

@ SGC - nice updates - keep it up. all the best for the future rallies

Last edited by planet_rocker : 28th June 2011 at 18:55.
Old 28th June 2011, 20:02   #26
BHPian

From one owner to the other!

Quote:
The esteem we are looking at is a 2004 model which has run about 94000kms.
2004 Esteem 94000kms? It's regular drive I'm guessing!

Quote:
1. Steering rack and pinion changed once. Thing is, on a very recent trip to maithon, My father felt the steering was going again.
This is a generic problem with the esteem, and it's not unusual for an esteem nearing 1L kms!

Quote:
2. Suspension overhauled once at 60000kms. But when I drove it recently, I felt it was a bit too soft. I have very little driving experience but I came to this conclusion after having compared it to my dad's swift on 195/60/15 es 100s. What do you feel?
Honestly, I happen to own both cars in question, which I was driving interchangeably (before the Esteem became a dedicated Rally Car).. So, swift suspensions are way superior to Stock Esteem suspensions no doubt!
What you can do is get yourself Koni's the're for about 16k. Or the cheaper option is CMS which will set you back 8k! Both very good shocks that come highly recommended for Rallying! I'm suggesting them to you cause it's clear that your looking for stiffer suspensions!! O yea and then there is Mr. J.Anand!

Quote:
3. Brake master cylinder had a leakage once. It was replaced. But again, even after the replacement, the bite isn't that great!
Again, this is quick fix! No worries!

Quote:
3. The car has no major accident records, but is in a not so good condition. Nagging things like, power window failure, wiper motors makes wierd noises which will lead you to believe it is about to go any day, crop up every other day.
Power window failure is again a common problem! Let me guess, it stops half way while closing? You need to step on the gas in turn charge the battery which in turn with power the glass all the way up to the closed position!

From the sound of it, The Wiper motor you probably will have to replace!

Quote:
My dad is of the opinion that if he can get the car for about 60000-70000 buck and spends another lakh on it, it would be fine. What is your opinion?
60000-70000 is a very good price for a 2004 esteem! I think your getting it dirt cheap! But be absolutely sure of what your buying! 1 L for mods is substantial! I'd suggest if you really want an esteem, and since you're already willing to spend 1L on it, you should go for a better car! But you're the best judge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Black Fiesta SXi - XetaGLGRocks / Sabby
Modded Black Baleno with Silver & Yellow paint scheme (port+polished, Elektra FFE, after-market air filter, may be few other mods) - vrooooooom / Pushpak

@ SGC - nice updates - keep it up. all the best for the future rallies
Planet! Thanks! Good to see Senior BHP-ians are taking time to read my thread!
Old 28th June 2011, 21:58   #27
BHPian

Headers Installed!

Well it sounds good, but needs a coat of paint!
Attached Thumbnails
My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports! WITH PICS-dsc03851.jpg  

Old 28th June 2011, 22:53   #28
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful thread and congrats on your podium finish. Wish you best of luck for the races to come. There was a time when I used to spend every evening at Joydeb da's garage, but my rally career never never kicked off due to lack of money and dedication . But I will definitely give it another try once I go back to Kolkata. Saurabh M is a gem of a person and he is an inspiration.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 28th June 2011 at 22:55.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:47   #29
BHPian

Re: Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Wonderful thread and congrats on your podium finish. Wish you best of luck for the races to come. There was a time when I used to spend every evening at Joydeb da's garage, but my rally career never never kicked off due to lack of money and dedication . But I will definitely give it another try once I go back to Kolkata. Saurabh M is a gem of a person and he is an inspiration.
Thanks a ton, Black Pearl! Good to know there's 1 more from "The Garage Gang" on Team-BHP! Hope you follow through with your dreams! And yes, Saurabh Da is one gentleman and a gem of a person!
Old 29th June 2011, 11:02   #30
BHPian

Mods-in-progress!

The Front View (Reinforcing Bar)
My "Crawl" into Indian Motor-Sports! WITH PICS-reinforging-bar.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks