Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 09:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Autorikshaw spotted in Houston,TX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm extremely surprised to see him using it on the public road, and as a private vehicle! Who's he kidding about the safety?
I believe the safety norms are for highway bound vehicles. You could register vechicles as non highway in US. I have seen in my recent trip(picture attached), people use Golf Cart kind of vehicles for shopping trips. In fact the usage of these kinds of vehicles are increasing with high gas prices.
Autorikshaw spotted in Houston,TX, USA-gen_car.jpg
You could rent these kind of vehicles in US cities such as San Francisco, Los Angeles and Las Vegas and use with in City limits (not allowed on Freeways/Expressways)
Old 12th May 2011, 10:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I believe the safety norms are for highway bound vehicles. You could register vechicles as non highway in US. I have seen in my recent trip(picture attached), people use Golf Cart kind of vehicles for shopping trips. In fact the usage of these kinds of vehicles are increasing with high gas prices. -
It does make sense. One less humongous, thirsty as a horse V8 pottering around in the city, meaning more fuel for the rest of us.

What do you expect their attitude would be to the Nano? Though it offers better comfort and safety, I'm not sure pretty girls would want to ride in a Nano as much as they would want to in a weird looking contraption like the auto.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

That's really awesome.
But im not sure who the owner is able to maintain the auto over there, i mean to say ragarding service and other stuff.

Cheers
Old 12th May 2011, 11:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I believe the safety norms are for highway bound vehicles. You could register vechicles as non highway in US. I have seen in my recent trip(picture attached), people use Golf Cart kind of vehicles for shopping trips. In fact the usage of these kinds of vehicles are increasing with high gas prices.
Attachment 543582
You could rent these kind of vehicles in US cities such as San Francisco, Los Angeles and Las Vegas and use with in City limits (not allowed on Freeways/Expressways)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslayer View Post
It does make sense. One less humongous, thirsty as a horse V8 pottering around in the city, meaning more fuel for the rest of us.

What do you expect their attitude would be to the Nano? Though it offers better comfort and safety, I'm not sure pretty girls would want to ride in a Nano as much as they would want to in a weird looking contraption like the auto.
Highway laws of USA
Look at this post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post2347114

A three wheeler is a "motor cycle". So you can probably use it on the motorways as long as you have a "motorcycle" license. You have to wear helmet and all just like while driving a motorcycle I think.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
is that a Mahindra Scorpio in the third pic (look at the tail lamp at the extreme left).
Looks like a SUV from GM.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
is that a Mahindra Scorpio in the third pic (look at the tail lamp at the extreme left).
OT answer: that is Prado
Old 12th May 2011, 13:34   #22
BHPian

Seeing the depression over there in the usa, they might have to resort to these autos for the sake of FE and cheap service. BTW italy, rome, france have these since decades ago
Old 12th May 2011, 14:02   #23
BANNED

Is that Bajaj LHD or RHD ?
its much surprising to see an auto in USA. How do they permit? I heard US has toughest Standards for safety, with no importance for safety, how can an Bajaj landed in US?. But, great news.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:58   #24
BHPian

I can't help but try visualizing this:
A typical American family with two/three kids in an auto-rickshaw going to McDonald's or Taco Bell's drive through :-P

Seriously, a friend of mine is seriously considering buying an auto-rickshaw in Pennsylvania. I ll show him this thread, may be he'll get some idea of how popular (unknowingly) one can get for owning such a vehicle there!

Cheers,
Old 18th May 2011, 10:43   #25
BHPian

this is unbelievable.
how did this thing pass the emission norms for US?

Most Viewed