Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 14:22   #61
BHPian

re: YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)

Will Mercedes benz launch the W222 inline with the International dates, or will they wait to clear present stocks like BMW has done with the F30. Is there a chance of this car coming to India by Sep-Oct this year?
Old 20th June 2012, 15:55   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
fitting reply to some 'progressive' cars who think they have finally beaten Merc just by a few sales number.
Couldn't agree more with you mate! I own two S Classes (W140 & W220) and I've had the chance to drive/travel in various cars in the same segment, but none of them feels as comfortable and solid as the S.
I'm not saying they were bad cars or anything, but simply din't have that over engineered feel the S has.
And each new incarnation came with a new automotive innovation, its as if Merc were indirectly saying 'That's how its done boys..'

Anyway I can't wait for the official unveil. Especially of the AMG versions
TheStig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 16:15   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
'

Anyway I can't wait for the official unveil. Especially of the AMG versions
Here is some AMG info...

More spy pics, this time of the W222 S63 AMG - V8 Twin Turbo. Check link: 2013 Mercedes S63 AMG spied with less disguise

I have my doubts if this is the S63 AMG as it does not have quad exhaust. The pics perhaps are of a W222 with a sports kit. Maybe they are launch different grades like their other models that are available in Avantgrande, Sport and Elegance trims.

When is the confirmed launched date expected or rather when is the next big international car expo ? Release the damn undisguised pics already, the teasers have been around long enough !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
Will Mercedes benz launch the W222 inline with the International dates, or will they wait to clear present stocks like BMW has done with the F30. Is there a chance of this car coming to India by Sep-Oct this year?
No chance ! I'd be happy if it even makes it here by Jan'13. Rumor has it that it will only reach Indian shores by March 2013, lets hope its earlier and in CKD form!

Although, MBIL would make a bold statement by bring it to us closer to the international launch. With the facelifted 7er having launched internationally, the India launch is not far away, this will kill the W221 sales in India thus MBIL is liquidating stocks at a huge discount currently (in excess of 20 lakhs off). Moreover the 7er is now CKD which is an added advantage.

Last edited by Sahil : 21st June 2012 at 16:32.
Old 22nd June 2012, 03:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Here is some AMG info...

More spy pics, this time of the W222 S63 AMG - V8 Twin Turbo. Check link: 2013 Mercedes S63 AMG spied with less disguise

I have my doubts if this is the S63 AMG as it does not have quad exhaust. The pics perhaps are of a W222 with a sports kit. Maybe they are launch different grades like their other models that are available in Avantgrande, Sport and Elegance trims.

Even the source website isn't sure. It could be any engine under the hood. MB sure is very very secretive about this project.

Anyway the latest pics posted above show a little shadow of the front DRLs. They seem to follow the same design seen in the recently released 2013 ML and GL. Looking good in other words.

I wonder what new 'toys' she will be packing this this time around.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:53   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the video of the test car spotted in Spain

!
Old 27th July 2012, 13:04   #66
Team-BHP Support

So looks like we'll see some SLS touches on the new S-Class as well. Check out those air-vents (I know, they're a little different, but when was the last time you saw round-air vents in a S-Class? *winks*)

Source
Attached Thumbnails
YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-new2013mercedessclassinterior.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-new2013mercedessclassinterior2.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-new2013mercedessclassinterior4.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th July 2012 at 13:11.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 21:22   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

what's a 2 spoke steering wheel doing in a Benz? That too an S class.???
Only other recent luxury car have seen with a 2 spoke is the Lincoln Town car.
Old 28th July 2012, 03:12   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
what's a 2 spoke steering wheel doing in a Benz? That too an S class.???
Only other recent luxury car have seen with a 2 spoke is the Lincoln Town car.
If the two spoke makes it to production I'd be very disappointed. The earlier spy pics did show a four spoke steering wheel
Old 15th August 2012, 10:50   #69
Team-BHP Support

What we have here is the quintessential luxo-barge on steroids. Presenting the spy-shots of the S63 AMG courtesy Gmotors.
Attached Thumbnails
YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg2.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg3.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg4.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg5.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg6.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg7.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg8.jpg  

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-2013mercedess63amg9.jpg  

Old 26th August 2012, 20:07   #70
nbr
BHPian

Caught the new S-Class in disguise

I caught this S-Class in disguise roaming around near my place in Dubai
Attached Thumbnails
YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-img00002201208261803.jpg  

nbr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 23:55   #71
BHPian

Re: Caught the new S-Class in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
I caught this S-Class in disguise roaming around near my place in Dubai
I'm spotting the same car everyday morning near Deira City centre

A video of same from youtube

crazybiker46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 16:12   #72
BHPian

Re: Caught the new S-Class in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
I'm spotting the same car everyday morning near Deira City centre
The main MB showroom is very near Deira City Centre, and the base of their new vehicle testing activities. I've spotted the brand new M Class undergoing tests in the vicinity way back in 2010.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Update Update!! Interesting one!

Direct from Mercedes-Benz TV - detailing the features of new S-class

Translation:

Intelligent drive means for us, that to assist the driver in the best possible way using the best possible means of resources for a better comfort and better safety. Prof.G Herrtwich says,

Quote:
Our new drive-assist system is now able to understand and analyse complex driving situations and make decisions. They are able to see and feel the situation better than ever and when the driver either fails to react or reacts late can decide and maneouvre autonomously in order to mitigate a collision. In order to train and understand our sensors, we put in lots of efforts. The drive-simulator is used for study purposes by putting an actual driver (no test driver from Merc, rather a normal person) and trying to understand his behaviour under different driving situations and thereby training the sensors and the artificial intelligence to react correctly even if the driver makes a mistake. The innovations combined will give the Merc a huge boost and is an important step towards the future travel free from accidents!
Dr. Storp says:

Quote:
Our new gen S-class includes the best innovations from Mercedes, especially in safety. Airbags, Pre-safe (R), Crumple zones and radar based sensor technology will be standard across all models (S-Class). the idea is not only to let the S-class understand the surroundings better by various sensors in a particular direction but to have a 360° view of its surroundings with the help of various cameras positioned all around the car. Important of them being the improved radar system up front and in the rear a multi-mode radar (MMR - this is straight out of Military jets!!! ) with a range of 80 mts, sensors (ultrasonic) plus 4 cameras to assist the radar placed in the nose grill, under the wing mirrors and in the rear number plate light area.
The engineer with the simulation team says,

Quote:
The pre-safe brakes can not only stop for a pedastrian crossing (below 50 Kmph) but also can react for stationary vehicles (above 50 kmph). The S-class becomes THE FIRST car to sport no-halogen/filament lamps anywhere in the car!! With the new improved lighting,specifically developed for better vision and the new "Light assist +", it takes the safe driving to a whole new level.
For a idea on how the headlights are going to be:

With this light design Merc's are taking on the "lights" (literally) of Audi head-on! I have just one word, Awesome! Benz is back to what it is known for - "Do the Best, if not Don't do at all" - karl Benz
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 10:56   #74

W222: Grand daddy of motor cars is back

Yup, W222 (2013-14)or the mercedes s class sets again new benchmark for motoring. Apparently it has got some more additions. Briefly features below.

With the implementation of Pre-Safe in the S-Class more than a decade ago, Mercedes-Benz introduced a collision avoidance technology that has since filtered down to the entire range. Next year the S-Class will take the technology to an entirely new level, with the next-generation model capable of 360-degree vision thanks to a complex series of 26 sensors and cameras which Mercedes calls “sensor fusion”.
There are nine safety features which have been significantly improved for the W222-series Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
  • Distronic Plus with Steering Assist: The S-Class is getting closer and closer to complete autonomous driving, however Mercedes-Benz’s philosophy remains that the driver must always be in control. Nonetheless, with the new steering assist system in Distronic Plus, the S-Class can not only follow the car in front at the same speed, it can now keep in its own lane in the highway and adjust the steering input to remain in the middle of the lane. The system works from 0-200km/h. There are limitations to this, of course. It cannot turn sharply, however we tested the system in a simulator and it worked flawlessly on open roads.
  • Brake Assist System with Cross-Traffic Assist: With brake assist already helping many Mercedes-Benz vehicles limit the severity of an accident or avoid one altogether, the new S-Class will take this system one step further. The cross-traffic assist component can now see cars and pedestrians crossing the street from either side, which is ideal for when another vehicle runs a stop sign or red light. The S-Class will now warn the driver, tighten up the seat belts and provide braking assistance to avoid or reduce the severity of the accident
  • Pre-Safe Brake: Now capable of pedestrian detection and capable of autonomous braking to avoid an accident when speeds are less than 50km/h.
  • Pre-Safe Plus: This system looks behind the car in the event of an imminent rear-ending. It flashes the rear hazard lights at a higher speed than normal to alert the incoming driver and, if an accident is imminent, applies full brake force to stop the S-Class from moving forward, while also activating all Pre-Safe occupant protection systems to minimise injury.
  • Pre-Safe Impulse: In an interesting way to avoid serious injury, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class can now pull the driver and front passenger away from the direction of travel well before the accident has caused vehicle deceleration. It’s a simple approach that may significantly reduce the severity of injuries in a frontal accident.
  • Active Lane Keeping Assist: As before, Mercedes-Benz vehicles are capable detecting unwanted lane departure and both warn the driver and apply brakes via the stability control system to bring the car back in the intended direction. The new system takes this further by using actual steering force and is also able to detect incoming cars in the adjacent lane
  • Adaptive High-beam Assist Plus: Many high-end vehicles on the road now have high-beam assist – a system that turns off the high-beams when an incoming car is detected. With High-beam Assist Plus, Mercedes-Benz’s light engineers have found a way to keep the high-beams on but mask out the incoming vehicles so they are not blinded by the light. In a demonstration to showcase this technology, we were amazed as to how the headlights simply carved out the light accordingly, so the entire road would light up except the section where the oncoming car was approaching to avoid dazzling the driver.
  • Night-view Assist Plus: Yet another feature that has been made possible by the S-Class’s amazing headlight technology, the night-view system can not only detect animals and pedestrians using its infrared systems, it can now clearly show the driver the location of the object in the dash and then using its headlight, actually spotlight the object on the road four times to warn the object of the car and to mark its location on the road.
  • Attention Assist: A further enhancement of the Mercedes-Benz drowsiness detection system, now with dual mode so you can tell the S-Class that you’re feeling unwell before getting in so that it can keep a closer eye on your attentiveness.
The W222 has gone ahead with a full led (55 of them) setup for the head lights. Just wanted to stress on the technology part.Not sharing the pics as you can google W222 for the scoop images. More details at.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/201296/2...ty-technology/

By the end of this decade they will surely make the driver redundant.
pikaxe123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 15:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Detailed set of photos showcasing the interiors of the new 2014 S-Class.

Personally, as of now, I find them somewhat underwhelming.

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-s1.jpg

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-s2.jpg

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-s3.jpg

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-s4.jpg

More photos of the interior/exterior here: Source.

Last edited by anekho : 30th January 2013 at 15:24.
anekho is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks