Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 17:38   #1
EP.
BHPian

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)

Note from Mod: This thread is now closed. Please continue the discussion in our Official Preview thread.

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-mercedessclass_2012_1.jpg

YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)-mercedessclass_2012_2.jpg
The new Mercedes S-class arrives in 2012 – and there will be four versions of the new S codenamed W222.

In an attempt to cover an even wider segment of the luxury car market, the new 2012 S-class will be offered in four different bodystyles: standard wheelbase saloon (2012), extended wheelbase saloon (2013), coupé (2013, replaces the CL), and a four-seater convertible (2014).

Woah! That’s a lot of new S-classes!

All future rear-wheel drive Mercs will be based on a brand new components set known as MRA, short for Mercedes Rear-wheel drive Architecture. MRA is subdivided into 93 different modules which is a good indication of how flexible this matrix can be. The only two fixed points are the front and rear firewalls in relation to the axles and the drivetrain.

The next S-class boasts a brand-new four-link front suspension designed to further decouple the steering, braking and damping forces. In the rear, we should find an evolution of the faithful multilink arrangement. Air springs are standard again, but the clever ABC anti-roll system costs extra. ABC can also be had in combination with MBC, short for Magic Body Control.

Magic Body Control? Is that like a magic carpet?

Sort of. Employing two cameras to scan the road ahead, MBC can compensate surface irregularities milliseconds before the car encounters them. Up to 80mph, this option warrants a ride comfort which is second to none. Also new is Magic Light Control (MLC) which adds dynamic full LED headlamps complete with adaptive free-flow light patterns varying with speed, weather and steering angle.

As far as the next-generation ergonomics are concerned, those in the know predict a much easier-to-use Comand system with radically fewer knobs, buttons and switches. Instead, we can allegedly look forward to a single controller which – in combination with the more elaborate steering-wheel – operate all key features and functions.

Instead of a second screen positioned above the centre stack, MB is looking at a large multiple-imagery TFT display in the driver’s primary field of vision. What makes the new infotainment so unique are the much easier access, the vastly superior memory capacity (music, DVD, maps, internet) and the reprogrammable software.

Enough gadgets… What’s under the bonnet of the new 2012 Merc S-class?

The line-up stretches from the 204bhp four-cylinder to the EU6-rated V12 dyno-tested at 544bhp. Not enough grunt? Then you may have to wait for the spiciest AMG menu which is good for 650bhp, sources say.

New motors include the twin-turbo 3.0-litre V6 which will be available in 306 and 354bhp form. One rung up, we find two turbocharged V8s promising 435 and 517bhp. Originally, MB intended to offer hybrid options for all new S-class models, but then marketing had a rethink, and now all that’s left are a mix of 204bhp diesel and 109bhp electric motor as well as the 306bhp V6 linked to the same plug-in whispering drivetrain. Mild hybrid is likely to be standard, but the 20bhp e-motor is not quite strong enough to justify an e-mode button.

This won’t change before 2014 when the new nine-speed autobox can accommodate a more potent 45bhp power pack.

How’s the S-class been doing?

Without China, North America and the Middle East, the Mercedes S-class would towards the end of its career be almost dead in the water. In Europe, for instance, sales of the ageing starship fell behind the new Audi A8 and the BMW 7-series in 2010.

A situation Mercedes plans to reverse with W222. It’s all change with the S-class!

Source: Car UK
Mercedes S-class (2012)

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2013 at 11:59. Reason: Adding closing note.
EP. is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 17:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: YES! The new 2014 Mercedes S-Class (W222)

I am in awe of this class, the "S"....
one thing though,
Is MB calling it "Magic " body control??????
hmmmm, somehow i dont belive it...
Old 12th May 2011, 18:19   #3
dot
Senior - BHPian

An aggresive sporty front stance, for a premium sedan.

The C pillar treatment reminds me of the previous gen Accord, at least from the angle in this picture.

Would be very eager to check out the dashboard with all the display and gizmos. A self-driving owner should enjoy, which is not an issue in other geographies.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:31   #4
BHPian

Merc should get the same designers for the front and back end, looks really edgy from the front and all curves at the back. Same reason why the current E turns me off.

Waiting to see the interiors and the gadgetry.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 18:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Now that's one good looking Merc. The rear though seems a bit disproportionate in the rendering. In short, the Sonder-Classe is hell-bent to retain its "World's Best Car" Title amongst tough the competition from the 7er, A8 and XJ
Old 12th May 2011, 18:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Atlast the King, the ' Best car in the world ' has returned with even more power and grace (and techno up d sleeve).
But being the S fan i am,frankly thought that the style would have been more revolutionary.

Last edited by DicKy : 12th May 2011 at 18:54.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

The front is nice and aggressive but the back looks a bit Korean in my opinion!

Would be interesting to see the interiors and all the gadgetry in work!
Old 12th May 2011, 20:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic. What MB needed to get customers back from A8 n 7. This will do the job.

We all seem to think of the back but I expect it to be good in flesh. Sonata might spoil the party though I was trying to convince myself of the ingenious design by hyundai, guess they saw the S before we did. Amazed.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good looking and a lot inspired by the new CLS. Headlamps and tail-lamps look ditto! And as the W221 brought gadgets that the world had never seen, I am sure the W222 will also bring something more spectacular and once again set a segment benchmark.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Those slashes on the sides! What happenned to the sober front to back light catcher line? Or is this modern interpretation of Ponton lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
The front is nice and aggressive but the back looks a bit Korean in my opinion!
Agree, hope that these impression images do not truly reflect the actual.
Old 13th May 2011, 08:56   #11
TOR
BHPian

The styling seems a bit forced. Inspiration seems to come from the CLS and the XJ. Merc should ditch the hopeless ORVM design and the skirts.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Boring with a capital B ! Yawn could not get any bigger. Am not surpized as i am not a fan of the new CLS styling either ! Ofcourse no denying that an S class being what it is (tag of best saloon yada yada) it will be sold big time.
For me , all 3 of its rivals in their current forms - A8/7/XJ are miles ahead in terms of looks and presence and a lot more.
Personal Opinion.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 13th May 2011 at 09:57.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 10:06   #13
BHPian

IMO: The front end is good but not very impressive. The rear, however, is too boring.

I found the rear bumper to be too bland and tooo big. Or may be it is the angle thats making me feel so.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Boring with a capital B ! Yawn could not get any bigger. Am not surpized as i am not a fan of the new CLS styling either ! Ofcourse no denying that an S class being what it is (tag of best saloon yada yada) it will be sold big time.
For me , all 3 of its rivals in their current forms - A8/7/XJ are miles ahead in terms of looks and presence and a lot more.
Personal Opinion.
I know after owning an Audi, it's difficult to praise Mercedes But yes I agree, Audi has the most beautiful cars in the stable. Even I'd rank the A8 at first place. But cannot think of the 7 even contending for best design! That is the most boring luxury sedan I have seen. Immensely boring! The S looks anyday more contemporary and much more better looking. So for me it's A8->XJ->S
Old 13th May 2011, 10:47   #15
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2011 at 14:30.
msupercool is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks