Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Roger that!
Btw, which car are you referring to?
NO NO! Don't make me answer that please
Old 6th June 2011, 19:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2012 BMW 1 Series revealed!

What I'm really looking forward to is the new 1 Series M. Yes, the fully-blown mental 1-Series, complete with big wheels and dual-exhausts.

It's the sort of car that will make you forget about how hideous it looks. Think about it. A powerful 300 odd horse-power engine (probably derived from a bigger Bimmer) mated to a fantastic 6-speeder that drives the rear wheels of a relatively small-car with short over-hangs.

It's quite a recipe.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:01   #33
BHPian

Hi guys,

IMHO this is not the ugliest design having seen the xylo.

But i feel thet the front can be improved to make it look more pleasing. There is something missing in the design and i cannot name it.

And the steering wheel looks quite similar to that of the new swift. Just check the pics
Attached Thumbnails
2012 BMW 1 Series revealed!-marutisuzukiswiftsteering1.jpg  

Old 9th June 2011, 15:05   #34

starting from new 5 series, all BMW looks too similar and hideous (except for M ones), I don't know what were they smoking while drawing
Old 9th June 2011, 15:37   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
starting from new 5 series, all BMW looks too similar and hideous (except for M ones), I don't know what were they smoking while drawing
Similar – yes, hideous – no. Too strong of a word

I will say it looks plainer, and a bit less of character, especially the new 5. For me, the biggest issue with the 1-series is the odd-shaped headlight.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

This may solve the doubts about which of the ! series family will remain RWD and which will become FWD.
Rumor: BMW's six 1 Series variants
Old 19th June 2011, 12:22   #37
BHPian

BMW and performance enthusiasts, rejoice! 1 Series coming soon

Guys, this is what we all have been waiting for, finally a performance sedan under 20 lakhs that won't break your bank! This will start a new revolution in India with Audi sure to follow suit. Finally someone has been listening to the Indian market. Read the article below which I got from a valid source today:

German car maker BMW's first hatchback offering -- the new 1 Series -- will be unveiled this September.
Developed on the same platform as the 3 Series, the new 1 series has been codenamed as F20.
The details including images were released recently.
The 1 Series has hatchback, coupe, and convertible body styles.

The small car, which will be available in India, will be both three-door and five-door versions.
Reports suggest that once the BMW 1 Series comes to India it is going to be priced somewhere in the range of Rs 14 lakh to Rs 15 lakh (Rs 1.4-1.5 million).

Initially BMW 116i and the cheapest diesel version 116d are expected to arrive followed by the frugal 116d ED.
Once in place, BMW 1 Series will offer car buyers an option against Ford Focus, Volkswagen Golf, Mercedes-Benz A-Class and Audi A1.
All these cars are, however, unavailable in India now.

Based on the initial information available, let's talk about the features of the BMW 1 Series that would woo Indians.
Specifications
In order to make the 1 Series roomy besides making it more stable at high speeds, the dimensions of the new 1 Series have been extended.

With the new dimensions, the 1 Series has 20mm more legroom and around 10 per cent more luggage space inside.
The 1 Series is powered by four cylinder engine except the 130i which has six cylinders. Similarly, all the 1 series cars have 2L engines except for 130i which has a 3L engine under the bonnet.

The engine line up for India is expected to be two petrol engines and three diesel versions.
Petrol driven 116i has a maximum output of 136bhp, the 118i has 170bhp at the same rpm.
On the other hand the diesel version base model 116d outputs 116bhp, the 118d is a 143bhp car while the 120d outputs 184bhp.

The 130i has the highest maximum output of 258hp at 6600 rpm in the entire series.
It is also a possibility that BMW will bring in the 116d ED diesel engine that has a sub-100 g/km CO2 emission.
The 116d ED engine outputs 116bhp and has only 99g/km CO2 emission with 27 km/l mileage.

The suspension of the 1 Series uses more aluminum making the car sturdy and light in weight.
All the BMW 1 Series cars are rear wheel driven and come with a six speed transmission gear box.
The 130i wins the speed test with a top speed of 250 km/hr while the petrol and diesel cars have a top speed of 200 km/hr to 238 km/hr.

The five-door 116i takes 9.8 seconds to catch 100 km/hr speed while the diesel 116d reaches the mark in 10.2 seconds all beaten by 130i that zooms to 100 kmph in just 6.1 seconds.
Reports have also come in that BMW is in the process of making its 1 Series more frugal with the introduction of 1.5-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engines in petrol and diesel.

These engines will be for the first time mated with ZF eight-speed automatic box.
The 1 series shares various components such as MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension with the 3 Series.
The powerful models are expected to be introduced later.

The new BMW 1 series is the newest creation of design chief Adrian van Hooydonk who has been recently elevated as the group design head.
Among other design changes, the bonnet has been further extended to make it more prominent by pushing the cabin back.
The front has a new look akin to the new concept. The kidney shaped grille has been reworked slightly and have been brought forward a bit.

The headlamps add new texture to the front styling by being slightly sunken.
The shoulders are more prominent as compared to the old model and the tail lamps have been placed at the extreme rear end.

BMW's Efficient Dynamics takes form in 1 series as well.
Automatic start stop function, gearshift indicator, low friction tyres, brake energy for battery recharge, power save modes besides and cruise control are some of the things to look for in the 1 series.

Besides, 1 Series also has parking assist, night drive assist, lane drive assistance and collision warning systems.
All standard models of 1 series come with iDrive and digital display screen.

Note from Support: Thread merged with the existing 1 series thread. Please continue the discussion here. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th June 2011 at 13:21. Reason: See note
Old 19th June 2011, 12:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW and performance enthusiasts, rejoice! 1 Series coming soon

The space in the 3 series is already at a premium. Not sure how would the space be in the 1 series. Not sure how does this better the Laura diesel and the likes.
Old 19th June 2011, 12:48   #39
BHPian

14-15 lakh for a BMW in India sounds too optimistic. If true, the brand value of the car alone should help in capturing a significant market share in that segment. Fingers crossed and hopefully the news is true; especially the estimated price.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 19th June 2011 at 12:49.
Old 19th June 2011, 13:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Finally, the BMW badge becomes affordable, time to bring in the competition, the A Class now
Old 19th June 2011, 13:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Do check my post at the 1 Series official launch at the International car scene, have already posted all the Indian launch details, which will be only in 2013 as BMW India is looking at getting a lot of local components and also trying certain aggressive measures to keep ahead of it's competition which it always will expect the car to be priced at minimum 16.XX EX Showroom in it's lowest variant and there will be nothing cheaper as it is not feasible.

My post at International Automotive Scene on 5th June 2011

Also the engines will only be 1.6 P & D, any more variants will be looked at later but they believe these motors should be fine for the car and Indian conditions but of course this can and will change and maybe higher engines and perhaps even lower can later be expected.

Lastly, do not expect this car anytime before March 2013, it will not happen.

Regards,

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 19th June 2011 at 13:09.
Old 19th June 2011, 13:17   #42
BHPian

Re: BMW and performance enthusiasts, rejoice! 1 Series coming soon

but i don't understand, i checked the BMW 1 series prices in UK website and they all range between 19000 and 25000 pounds i.e., between 14 lakhs and 18 lakhs INR. I am not sure how can they match the prices in India with those in UK. I still have a feeling they won't be available at the UK prices, will cost definitely more than that...

I was planning to get the Laura VRs to be launched in Sept, but now i am gonna hold my money to save more and wait for the 120i, 130i or 120d.
Old 19th June 2011, 14:52   #43
BHPian

The issue of looks has always been subjective. I find this car beautiful, be it the big eyed front , the bulky looking side profile or the classy butch back end. it looks far better than my X1 .
I meant , i am waiting for this car to be launched
Old 19th June 2011, 17:29   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
Guys, this is what we all have been waiting for, finally a performance sedan under 20 lakhs that won't break your bank! This will start a new revolution in India with Audi sure to follow suit. Finally someone has been listening to the Indian market. Read the article below which I got from a valid source today:
German car maker BMW's first hatchback offering -- the new 1 Series -- will be unveiled this September...
...All standard models of 1 series come with iDrive and digital display screen.
This looks like a text from a rediff.com article. 14-15 lakhs looks too optimistic, and I don’t expect to see the 1-series in India anytime soon.

On a side note, rediff has mentioned the source for this article as Cardekho.com. And according to that website, almost all cars available globally are due for an Indian launch in next few months (e.g.; VW Golf, Tiguan etc.). Too optimistic I guess
Old 19th June 2011, 17:44   #45
BHPian

yeah VB-SAN, cardekho.com has all the cars on the site that they think should come to India, they even have the probable specs and prices mentioned. last year i had seen they had Jimny coming to India with all the bells and whistles.

Anything that comes to India is not going to be cheap . look at what happened with Yeti and now I am sure is going to happen with Duster which again is a very active thread, and BMW, well lets just wait and see if we are considered worthy by the company if at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks