Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2011, 17:50   #46
BHPian

Re: 2012 BMW 1 Series revealed!

Looks do matter in petroheads world. I did not like it at all, I will never pay more than 7 lakhs for this design sans the badge. Even otherwise, this BMW is not worth the money just to get that badge. A very ordinary and uninspired design. For that matter even the older one was not that great. I am sure all the prospective buyers of their 1st BMW will be better off with the 3 series or the x1. Now BMW just cannot afford to go wrong with the new 3 series, that means they should not be testing the brand loyalty this far, period.
Old 19th June 2011, 18:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice_alto View Post
yeah VB-SAN, cardekho.com has all the cars on the site that they think should come to India, they even have the probable specs and prices mentioned. last year i had seen they had Jimny coming to India with all the bells and whistles.

Anything that comes to India is not going to be cheap . look at what happened with Yeti and now I am sure is going to happen with Duster which again is a very active thread, and BMW, well lets just wait and see if we are considered worthy by the company if at all.
Its not BMW's fault that their cars or any imported cars are expensive in india. Blame the govt for 100% duty on imported cars. if not for that, BMW 3 series would cost 20 lakhs instead of the current 40 lakhs price tag
Old 19th June 2011, 18:22   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice_alto View Post
Anything that comes to India is not going to be cheap . look at what happened with Yeti and now I am sure is going to happen with Duster which again is a very active thread, and BMW, well lets just wait and see if we are considered worthy by the company if at all.
I guess it’s not about BMW considering India worthy or not. From what I infer, they treat India as a huge market. They are one manufacturer who bring all their latest models to India without much delay, and we get same specs as what is available globally. But luxury hatchback is still an unknown territory in India, and it will be interesting to see who will take the first step.
Old 19th June 2011, 18:28   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess it’s not about BMW considering India worthy or not. From what I infer, they treat India as a huge market. They are one manufacturer who bring all their latest models to India without much delay, and we get same specs as what is available globally.
Then i don't see any manual transmission option in a 3er that so defines it,if it offers international available models?
Also 5years ago a 7 lakh hatchback was a joke. But is it now?
Just like that you can't possibly imagine the number of those who will snap up a 15 lakh Beemer,hatchback or not.
Old 19th June 2011, 20:17   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Then i don't see any manual transmission option in a 3er that so defines it,if it offers international available models?
Valid point. But I guess the option of providing MT and AT side by side for BMW happen only in really matured markets.

Quote:
Also 5years ago a 7 lakh hatchback was a joke. But is it now?
Just like that you can't possibly imagine the number of those who will snap up a 15 lakh Beemer,hatchback or not.
I think this so called 15 lakhs pricing is just a wishful thinking. Even if a 1-series gets to India, I feel it will be somewhere around 20 lakhs+. Internationally, 1 is priced quite close to the 3.
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:28   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Impressive growth of BMW X1 in the premium SUV segment, closes on the No. 3 spot!

BMW X1 sales, BMW X1 bookings and deliveries | DWS Auto India

Cheers!
Old 5th July 2011, 19:10   #52
BHPian

Autocar India reports the BMW 1 series maybe launched in India during 2nd half of 2012... All-new BMW 1-series India bound | Autocar India

If we go by this news, BMW may well find themselves with long waiting list since it will be much more affordable...
Old 5th July 2011, 19:53   #53
BHPian

I Saw a couple of 1 serieses in Amsterdam..
They look quite sweet.

And if they come with good features and power then I think 15L is worth it.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:18   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Autocar India reports the BMW 1 series maybe launched in India during 2nd half of 2012... All-new BMW 1-series India bound | Autocar India

If we go by this news, BMW may well find themselves with long waiting list since it will be much more affordable...
Offtopic, but when BMW launches the 1 series in India, then i can see myself what i will be buying 5 years down the line.
Am not a follower of pre-worshipped theory, but compact size for our Indian roads, highly efficient 4 pot diesels that hopefully gives more than 18km/l, 0-100 in the region of 10secs, a drivers cabin beautifully done and the most important of all- front engine,rear wheel drive!!!
Maan, i can't think of how juicy the prices will be 5 years down in the second hand market, if only some one financed me for the german maintenance and service costs.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

1-series India bound!

According to Autocarindia , BMW may launch 1-series in India.

BMW has revealed its all new 1 -series
hatchback (codename : F20 ) which
goes on sale in the international
market in September this year. The
India launch is expected a year later
in the second half of 2012. The 1 -
series is the smallest (and cheapest )
BMW in the range which is why the
company sees great potential for its
all- new five - door hatchback in the
Indian market .
Encouraged by the sales of the X 1 ,
BMW feels confident that a sub-Rs 20
lakh BMW could further boost sales
and it is for this reason that the
company has increased capacity in its
plant outside Chennai from 8 ,000 to
10 ,000 units per year . BMW hopes the
1 -series will carve out a new niche for
itself here as a powerful , premium
rear- drive hatchback, so expect prices
to be in the range of around Rs 15 -18
lakh.

All-new BMW 1-series India bound | Autocar India
Old 6th July 2011, 11:37   #56
BHPian

Re: 1-series India bound!

I'm happy to hear that. However, the 1-series is at an inherent disadvantage here. Audi's new A3 comes in a sedan form with 4 doors. The 1-er on the other hand sports highly polarising styling (I dont like the front end at all) compared to the A3. Moreover, it is only available in a 5-door hatchback form at the present. So, considering all this, the 1-er will have to get a sedan sibling if BMW has any hopes of fighting against the A3.

Isn't there already a thread on this?
Old 6th July 2011, 13:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I'm happy to hear that. However, the 1-series is at an inherent disadvantage here. Audi's new A3 comes in a sedan form with 4 doors. The 1-er on the other hand sports highly polarising styling (I dont like the front end at all) compared to the A3. Moreover, it is only available in a 5-door hatchback form at the present. So, considering all this, the 1-er will have to get a sedan sibling if BMW has any hopes of fighting against the A3.

Well I am not sure if you have got that one right. Sadly in India people love hatches due to its practcality especially in the cities. So I think they have a great chance here of taking it away from Audi
Old 6th July 2011, 18:34   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Well I am not sure if you have got that one right. Sadly in India people love hatches due to its practcality especially in the cities. So I think they have a great chance here of taking it away from Audi
You're very right. Indians love practicality. Indians love hatchbacks. Indians love hatchbacks that are practical. But, and this is a big BUT..

The BMW 1 Series is a hatchback that will most likely cost close to 20 lakhs once on the road. And in India, a hatch that costs more than 7.5 lakhs, is criminal and is very wrong (according to the majority of the car-buying public).

People in India would love to see their hard-earned money being spent on something substantial if it's an automobile. So when the average Indian who has 20 lakhs to spend on a car, will not think of buying a hatchback. His choice would be limited to: a big SUV or a sedan, that will reaffirm his status on the road.

There are very few people who would 'think' about their purchase and actually go deep into the actual requirements when spending 20 lakhs or more.

Just look at the number of Fortuners on the road and compare it to the number of Fiat 500s or VW Beetles. (no arguments on the 500, since the numbers sold in India were restricted and limited) Even though the individual wouldn't theoretically need a big SUV, and would be better off driving a small hatch, like the Fiat 500 or a VW Beetle, he would still buy a Fortuner because he needs to show that he has spent his money on something substantial.

Audi's A3 Sedan would sell in much larger numbers than the hatch variant. Similarly, the City sells much more than the Jazz, and the VW Vento has seen a surge in sales off late, and is quite possibly, on par with the Polo, in terms of sales.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

P.S. It's very refreshing to find someone who thinks along these lines. Hope more people start approaching the hatch vs. sedan dispute like the way you have.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th July 2011 at 18:41.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:50   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the 1-series is at an inherent disadvantage here. Audi's new A3 comes in a sedan form with 4 doors. The 1-er on the other hand sports highly polarising styling (I dont like the front end at all) compared to the A3. Moreover, it is only available in a 5-door hatchback form at the present. So,......................................
Not really, cause in the middle of the decade BMW will launch a slew of 1 series model and also 2 series which would have a sedan variant too, to take the fight against A3.
The new BMW 1 Series generation to get up to six body styles | BMWCoop
Old 6th July 2011, 19:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Not really, cause in the middle of the decade BMW will launch a slew of 1 series model and also 2 series which would have a sedan variant too, to take the fight against A3.
The new BMW 1 Series generation to get up to six body styles | BMWCoop
In that case, the 2-er (which is the sedan version of 1-er ) should offer great competition to the A3! I just hope they change the headlights' shape and the rear end which in the 1-er hatch looks like that of the Polo's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks