Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 16:46   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1-series India bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Not really, cause in the middle of the decade BMW will launch a slew of 1 series model and also 2 series which would have a sedan variant too, to take the fight against A3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
In that case, the 2-er (which is the sedan version of 1-er ) should offer great competition to the A3!
I guess, there is a slight misalignment here. The 1-series is the direct competition to A3, and both are similar sized hatchbacks (even in the current gen).

The upcoming 2-series is the 2-door coupe version of 1-series. In current generation, all are sold as 1. I maybe wrong, but I have not read of a sedan version anywhere.
Old 7th July 2011, 17:04   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The upcoming 2-series is the 2-door coupe version of 1-series. In current generation, all are sold as 1. I maybe wrong, but I have not read of a sedan version anywhere.
There are slightly varying stories all over the net, the 2 series family is not to be out till about 2013, watch the last line, the 3 box ,4 door sedan is the one going to be the 2 series sedan. Read that somewhere but couldn't remember.
Here is a reliable source.
BMW's six 1-series variants - Autocar.co.uk

Last edited by DicKy : 7th July 2011 at 17:05.
Old 7th July 2011, 17:13   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are slightly varying stories all over the net, the 2 series family is not to be out till about 2013, watch the last line, the 3 box ,4 door sedan is the one going to be the 2 series sedan. Read that somewhere but couldn't remember.
Here is a reliable source.
BMW's six 1-series variants - Autocar.co.uk
Thanks Dicky, my reference was also from Autocar UK
BMW plans 2-series and M2 - Autocar.co.uk

What I meant to say is, in the current form the 1-series and A3 are competing in the same space. I am interesting to see Merc’s answer to this segment. Assume they are doing something radical with the next generation A/B class.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:04   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks Dicky, my reference was also from Autocar UK
BMW plans 2-series and M2 - Autocar.co.uk

What I meant to say is, in the current form the 1-series and A3 are competing in the same space. I am interesting to see Merc’s answer to this segment. Assume they are doing something radical with the next generation A/B class.
Think they are coming with the CLC on the MFA(FWD) platform.
Given that the A class doesn't come in this class.
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:39   #65
BHPian

Re: 2012 BMW 1 Series revealed!

Quote:
Kinda compact 7 series front end meets a VWish rear???
Don't care about the styling as long as they keep it RWD and offer it in India for 15 lacs.
Your dream is about come true, and very soon, check this out.
New BMW 1 Series
All-new BMW 1-series India bound | Autocar India
Old 23rd July 2011, 17:47   #66
BHPian

116bhp diesel engine, with loads of torque in the front. 6-speed manual transmission in the middle and the power going to the back (RWD). That's one hell of a recipe BMW. I say bring it on. I have a feeling the on-going BMW 2.0 turbo-diesel engine which is seen in the 320d, 520d & X1 could make its way into the Indian 1-series, in a lower state of tune. This will help cut costs to a great extent.

This hatch will definitely carve out a niche market for itself, which will be full of enthusiasts and a huge amount of brand aspirants. BMW will be made available to a much bigger market if BMW gets its pricing right, which I am sure they will (BMW's has recently been aggressive with its pricing).
Old 17th August 2011, 16:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if I'm mad or have lost it, but for the last few days, I've been looking up the BMW 1 series hatch almost every day. The interiors are so damn well appointed and the car is definitely hot. The car is not even in my budget band, but it makes me think of saving and going for it [if it comes at 15L for the 118D diesel].

If you folks haven't checked out the 1 series website, I recommend you to take a look. A fine and innovative website featuring comparo videos between the two variants of the 1 series 5 door cars, Sport and Urban. It's awesome, if you ask me. Check it out at:
BMW 1 Series (5-door)
Old 17th August 2011, 16:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Offtopic, but when BMW launches the 1 series in India, then i can see myself what i will be buying 5 years down the line.
Am not a follower of pre-worshipped theory, but compact size for our Indian roads, highly efficient 4 pot diesels that hopefully gives more than 18km/l, 0-100 in the region of 10secs, a drivers cabin beautifully done and the most important of all- front engine,rear wheel drive!!!
Maan, i can't think of how juicy the prices will be 5 years down in the second hand market, if only some one financed me for the german maintenance and service costs.
DicKy, happy to see your thoughts on the 1 series are almost as same as mine. I love the hatchback form of the 1 series 5 door car too and it's interiors are so well appointed, they're awesome. The car, like you have mentioned [and any hatchback is], is perfect and makes sense for our roads.

If the 118d is about 15L-16L ex-shw with the car being the same as the international version, I might just join you in buying one, 4-5 years from now

Cheers,
aK
Old 17th August 2011, 17:26   #69
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow the 1 Series and the A3 may end up being the second or third luxury brand car for affluent households in India (The comment being about India only). At the price points at which it would enter India it would still not come in as the masses lux vehicle for executives looking for a seriously specked vehicle as a daily drive may choose the Accord, Laura, New Jetta, Superb and at the higher end the Passat or the base X3.

We are also likely to see a lot of Women take to the 1 Series and X3 for India. (Space plus second / third car criteria).

Yep a lot of us see a very premium hot hatch in the 1 Series but passion for cars and "the drive" does not really sell too many cars in India.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:30   #70
BHPian

I don't think the new 1 series is ugly as such. BMWs mostly carry an understated look and the same is done here. Im sure that the legendary BMW handling will continue with 1 series as well.
Personally i have liked all BMWs since they consistently maintain that family image without changing it too much just for the sake of changing.
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:14   #71
BHPian

i dont find the 1 er ugly but there is no BMW-ness to it. Also i think the designers were big fans of MORT from Madagascar.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 BMW 1 Series revealed!-0422012bmw1seriessportext.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2011, 17:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

@Konjaril: Very well said indeed. Thats exactly what came to my mind on seeing the 1.

IMO, looks like someone PS'd the Polo and the X1 and created the new 1 series. Looks could be subjective though.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for bumping this thread but there was a thread for this in the Indian car section with a lot of information posted, and I could not locate it any more?

If for any reasons it was removed is it possible to post that information here? Spent a lot of time with a lot of valuable information on it.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 07:06   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread but there was a thread for this in the Indian car section with a lot of information posted, and I could not locate it any more?

If for any reasons it was removed is it possible to post that information here? Spent a lot of time with a lot of valuable information on it.

Regards,
Is that the one in which you had posted some of the future plans from BMW? I did post a question there yesterday (on the MINI). Looks like its off.
Old 10th September 2011, 09:36   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post

Regards,
You did post some very useful information mate, that did get me really charged up, especially the Mini part!! But sadly the thread is missing today. The mods usually send a mail telling the reasons when they move or delete threads/posts. You may get one soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks