Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 09:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe

From insideline, spied BMW's CLS fighter

Quote:
These new spy photos of the 2013 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe prove that, despite the 5 Series GT being a disappointment, BMW isn't done blurring lines. What we've got here is a latest-generation BMW 6 Series, but with some important differences, notably, four-doors. Odd for a coupe. Or, at least, it used to be odd for a coupe to have four doors until Mercedes-Benz went ahead and called the swoopy CLS a four-door coupe and it sold like hotcakes to dentists and lawyers and housewives from Miami to Beverly Hills. Clearly there was a market for a slightly less functional sedan with stylish body work. Audi noticed, too, and dropped the A7. And then there's the Panamera.
Finally, though, it appears BMW has caught up with the trend, finally showing a prototype of the 6 Series Gran Coupe which was greenlit last July.
We expect the four door 6 Series to offer the same engine as the 6 series in the U.S. which is a 4.4-liter V8 making 400 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque. Transmission options are a six-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic. Starting price for the 2012 BMW 6 Series is $83,875.
And don't count out an M version with, based on the 2012 BMW M5, 553 horsepower and a manual or dual-clutch transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe-w_bmw6ergrancoupe_bp_jun11_priddy2.jpg  

Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe-w_bmw6ergrancoupe_bp_jun11_priddy5.jpg  

Old 11th December 2011, 09:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe

BMW has announced the 4 door coupe, rival to the Mercedes CLS and the Audi A7. Engine options should be the same as those offered in the 6-series coupe and convertible, along with a de-tuned version of the twin-turbo V8, with around 450 bhp
Here's more: BMW reveals the 6 Series Gran Coupe - BBC Top Gear

Last edited by shamik.bose : 11th December 2011 at 09:05.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Am sorry i didn't quite get your first statement.
The RS-7 IS a rival to the CLS 63 , so yes the 2 would be compared.

About the BMW Grand Coupe, -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-port-11.html

check pic #9 on page 1 of the above thread and look carefully at the car to the left of the F30.
Happy times are not far !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Looks like a regular 6 series coupe to me. Does that have four doors? It's hard to tell with it so dusty and from that angle.
Quote:
I know i was confused at first too but here's the give away.
The 2-dr 6 would obviously have just 2 door handles, 1 on each side.
Look carefully in the picture i specified, the door handle of the rear door can be seen too. That of the front door can be seen further towards the front.
Quote:
Oh is that a door handle?! I thought it was the fuel filler cap!
Quote:
So did i
But again, There is a white 6 in front of the F30. You compare the fuel cap of that car with the black 640d and the difference is perceptible. What could the car possibly have there apart from the door handle/fuel cap ?
Dosnt look like the fuel cap to my eyes hence 640d GC it is
Guys, let's bring the discussion here and leave the Audi thread for the S4 discussion.

Anyway, Platzda Turbo, I'm afraid you've been mistaken about the 6-Series GrandCoupe.

You see, the GrandCoupe can be differentiated by the chrome/silver strip that marks the window line of the car. Something that's absent in the regular Coupe.

Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe-original.jpg

Also, even from a dead rear-end angle, the door-handles for the rear doors protrude a little bit. But in the picture taken at the Mumbai port , the 6 doesn't have door-handles at all and the metal is flush as you can see.

Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe-grandcouperear.jpg

The chrome strip is missing in the coupe. And the 6-Series Coupe comes with a boot-lid integrated brake-light, but the GrandCabrio does not come with it.

Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe-bmw-f30-9.jpg

EDIT: In the spy-photos above, it looks like the boot-lid brake light is just red-tape.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th May 2012 at 18:02.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 10:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I've become quite fond of your writings on the forum, must say its amazing, but you must know as usual corrections are needed,

1. The cars at Mumbai port were regular coupes I've already said it and given a better reason.

2. The black trim you speak of around the windows in the coupe is not exactly the point of difference, it's called the BMW Individual shadow line trim, its an option on pretty much all cars you can even have the 5 without chrome and have the black high gloss trim.

Also please do elaborate what were you trying to say when you spoke of even RS7 would be better compared to the CLS63?

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You see, the GrandCoupe can be differentiated by the chrome/silver strip that marks the window line of the car. Something that's absent in the regular Coupe
Old 17th May 2012, 19:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Hello,

I've become quite fond of your writings on the forum, must say its amazing, but you must know as usual corrections are needed,
Thank you! Well, I'm still learning, so..

Quote:
2. The black trim you speak of around the windows in the coupe is not exactly the point of difference, it's called the BMW Individual shadow line trim, its an option on pretty much all cars you can even have the 5 without chrome and have the black high gloss trim.
Ah yes I realized after I'd posted that we're talking about BMWs here, and you can get pretty much anything you want as long as you've got the wallet to suit your tastes. The levels of customization is quite high, even by BMW standards.

Quote:
Also please do elaborate what were you trying to say when you spoke of even RS7 would be better compared to the CLS63?
In the other thread, it was mentioned by kbk that the R8 could be compared to the M6 and the SL63.

Quote:
M6 conv : R8 conv : SL63

You're right, but till such time as they have an RS7, it's the only car Audi has in that segment. No doubt the R8 is smaller and more focused a sports car than an M6 or SL63.
I felt the need to clarify that a little.

The M6 is more of a GT car than the Audi R8, and the SL is a mix of both, but still leans toward the GT. I thought there was a little mismatch as all those cars belonged to different segments.

Kbk intended to bring forth a comparison between the M6, the SL and the A7, which again I though was a complete mismatch of segments. And then it struck me that Mercedes has a sports-sedan in the form of the CLS and Audi recently brewed the A7, so naturally, they would be obvious competitors. The AMG and RS versions no less. BMW recently joined the party with the M6 GrandCoupe too.

Hope that clarifies things.
Old 17th May 2012, 20:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The M6 is more of a GT car than the Audi R8, and the SL is a mix of both, but still leans toward the GT. I thought there was a little mismatch as all those cars belonged to different segments.
The SL isnt a mix of the M6 & R8 (if that is what you meant).
It is a pure GT with the displacement and power of a supercar.
The handling of that thing proves its credentials as a GT.

Quote:
Anyway, PlatzdaTurbo, I'm afraid you've been mistaken about the 6-Series GrandCoupe.
You see, the GrandCoupe can be differentiated by the chrome/silver strip that marks the window line of the car. Something that's absent in the regular Coupe.
Yep already clarified in the other thread. Made comparisons with the white 6 on the right of the F30 with the black one.
With the naked eye i thought the fuel cap to be the rear door handle of the 6 GC. My bad.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 17th May 2012 at 20:13.
Old 18th May 2012, 00:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The SL isnt a mix of the M6 & R8 (if that is what you meant).
It is a pure GT with the displacement and power of a supercar.
The handling of that thing proves its credentials as a GT.
Not exactly what I meant.

Why I'd said that it's a mix, is because MOST GT cars have a small 2nd row of seats (Continental GT, BMW M6, Aston Martins, the Jaguar XK and XK-R) but the SL doesn't. It is a 2-seater, but GTs are generally 2+2. That's why I said it's a bit of a mix. 2 seats and massive power would mean Supercar territory, but the handling is a bit of a let-down and the chassis/gearbox could never take that sort of torque in the first place. So it was reduced to a GT car.

Heck, even the Porsche 911 Turbo is known for its Continent crushing ability, with loads of power and a composed solid ride. It's just that the 911 is a much better handler than most sports-cars out there, let alone Grand Tourers.

Quote:
Yep already clarified in the other thread. Made comparisons with the white 6 on the right of the F30 with the black one.
With the naked eye i thought the fuel cap to be the rear door handle of the 6 GC. My bad.
Like I'd said earlier, I'm learning too. It's all good mate, I'd gotten confused myself and that's why I'd decided to dig a little deeper. *winks*
Old 18th May 2012, 16:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Honestly Speaking in today's world there is a lot of convergence going on, in the real terms a lot of GT are no more that good for long distance and some which are not termed as a GT are wonderful long distance tourers, while in the old days there was a clear definition of what is a GT and what is a Sports car that difference is a lot complicated by today's standard when we have 4 door coupes, Wagon's called GT, and cars like SLS / SLR / 599 GTB called as GT's but then they give you pretty much all the thrills on a race track too and hard to distinguish them or hard to say if you must stick to the word GT or Sports car for them.

When it comes to the SL, do look up it's class of cars it falls in the Sports car class by EU norms but is a wonderful GT. Like I said the world now is way too complicated and it's not just 2 seats or 4 doors that define a car in it's class now.

Hope I was not too off topic, Me and Wife have spent a lot of time in the 458 and both felt it was perfectly fine for long distance touring, SLS too has the same feel be it good roads or bad, but a similar trip in the DB9 was not exactly the best. Again this is subjective but I hope people do understand what I am saying, if not, ignore me I have a hard time explaining always.

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks