Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 22:58   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tata Nano launched in Nepal at INR 5 lakhs!

And you thought we are taxed heavily? ET says the taxes in Nepal come up to 240%!

- The introductory price of the Tata Nano in Nepal is NPR 7.98 lakhs (Approx 5 lakh Indian Rupees). In the first phase, bookings will be open for 10 days. The car will be on sale across Nepal through the company’s distributor, Sipradi Trading, at 14 Sipradi showrooms.

- Tata Motors is the third largest passenger vehicle marketer in Nepal. Sipradi sells and services the full range of Tata Motors’ commercial and passenger vehicles. The company has the largest sales and service distribution network throughout Nepal with 9 sales offices, 5 regional service centres, 10 passenger vehicle and 15 commercial vehicle authorised dealers and service centres.

Tata Nano launched in Nepal at INR 5 lakhs!-nano-nepal..jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 23:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano launched in Nepal at INR 5 lakhs!

Those Alloys look quite desirable
Old 26th June 2011, 23:15   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Those Alloys look quite desirable

Alloys? They look like Plastic add-on cover to me.

--Ragul
Old 26th June 2011, 23:16   #4
anb
BHPian

That is very expensive for a Nano. Tata Safari vx costs INR 26.18 lacs in Nepal !
Old 27th June 2011, 00:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are those front tyres different from Indian version?
Old 27th June 2011, 00:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

5 lacs for a nano ? Nepal is heavily taxed. The Price for a safari in Nepal equals the price for a Fortuner in India.
Old 27th June 2011, 01:08   #7
BHPian

Wonder how much does a liter of fuel cost around there these days? This is what happens when you don't want to ride your horses anymore . Save the earth, get back on that horse err at least a pony?
Old 27th June 2011, 08:31   #8
BHPian

Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are big markets for used cars. There is a lobby of used car dealers, they ensure that the taxes on new cars are extremely high. I had been to a 5 star hotel in Dhaka, they had put up photographs of topshots who had visited that hotel. One of them is the CEO of Toyota! I don't know whether he has visited India. Later, I heard that Toyota and other big car manufacturers want a big market for their used cars, only then people will buy newer models, so the lobbying in 3rd world countries.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Wonder how much does a liter of fuel cost around there these days? This is what happens when you don't want to ride your horses anymore . Save the earth, get back on that horse err at least a pony?
Nepal gets petrol from India, so normally it should be more than that of India, but the price there after recent hike is 101 NRS which equals to 63.125 Indian rupee !! I use a car in Nepal for my college use and i fill petrol from Nepal only even when am having an Indian registered car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are big markets for used cars. There is a lobby of used car dealers, they ensure that the taxes on new cars are extremely high. I had been to a 5 star hotel in Dhaka, they had put up photographs of topshots who had visited that hotel. One of them is the CEO of Toyota! I don't know whether he has visited India. Later, I heard that Toyota and other big car manufacturers want a big market for their used cars, only then people will buy newer models, so the lobbying in 3rd world countries.
Nepal don't have any vehicle manufacturing unit of any brand. I don't think any brand will start a manufacturing unit soon, main reason being the political instability and the Maoist troubles. Most international business establishments especially Indian ventures are facing stiff resistance from Maoist. And finally Nepal is the poorest country in southeast Asia according to a recent survey.
There are not many people who can afford a car there. Government also don't have enough funds for any thing, hence they keep on increasing the tax rate in order to avoid concentration of money among a minority population who can even afford to import vehicles. (Any car you see in Nepal is imported)
Even if you have an Indian vehicle, you are allowed to use it in Nepal by paying 458 NRS daily. Used car market is also not that great in Nepal, a 2004 model santro will cost u more than 7 lak Nepali currency(NC).
Seeing all these things , i don't think any manufacturer is doing this to increase market share, after all whats the use of increasing just second hand market and not selling new vehicles? I find the government only the main culprit in increasing the taxes and not any lobby. Its just a method to increase the government funds.
althaaf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 10:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Seems like there is a business opportunity. Buy a Nano in India and then drive into Nepal. I am sure some enterprising gentlemen will try something like that.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Seems like there is a business opportunity. Buy a Nano in India and then drive into Nepal. I am sure some enterprising gentlemen will try something like that.
No one will buy an Indian nano there like this because they still will have to pay huge taxes or if using with Indian number they have to pay daily 458 NRS! So it will be better for Nepalis to buy a new car from dealership there than buying an Indian used vehicle and converting it to Nepali number.
althaaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 13:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

No wonder there is a secondary market in neighbouring countries for cars stolen from Indian metros!
If anyone here is from those parts or has visited Nepal, can they provide any info about the roads/ infrastrcture over there? Is it feasible to drive a Nano around there?
Old 27th June 2011, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Selfdrive: It surely is feasible to drive a Nano in Nepal.
Been to Nepal way back in the early 90's and the cars at that point in time were Toyota's (imported, of course).
The infrastructure then, was pretty decent. This, however, was in Pokhra and Kathmandu only. Not been to others places, so wont be able to comment.

5 lacs for a Nano, sure seems pricey though!
Wonder what a Beamer or the three pointed star would cost then. Shudder, to even think.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 27th June 2011 at 14:27.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:33   #14
BHPian

Paying 5 lakhs for Nano is too much.
I was there in Nepal, kathmandu for few days. I can't just say that the roads are totally bad or good. Just take it that some are good while some are with potholes. But once you are out of the city, i felt something same as our Indian roads.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:40   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know about the level of equipment in the nano that has been launched there? For the price, im sure it must be better equipped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks