Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 04:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stunning 2012 Hyundai Azera caught

The cat is out of bag

The pictures of 2012 Azera which is set to debut in LA Auto Show is online.

2012 Hyundai Azera Set for 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show

looks stunning is all i would say. Now lets see it in flesh. Love the way external mirror closes. Having driven a Genesis and Sonata, this one looks like another winner along the lines.

image courtesy: kgp photography.
Attached Thumbnails
Stunning 2012 Hyundai Azera caught-azera-kgp.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 28th July 2011 at 04:41.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 07:46   #2

Re: Stunning 2012 Hyundai Azera caught

At the end of the day, it is still a Hyundai. Would you REALLY pay equivalent of a C-Class for a Hyundai in India?? Really? Also, I think it looks dated already. dont like it one bit. And Did I mention it was a Hyundai! Eek!
Old 28th July 2011, 08:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
At the end of the day, it is still a Hyundai. Would you REALLY pay equivalent of a C-Class for a Hyundai in India?? Really? Also, I think it looks dated already. dont like it one bit. And Did I mention it was a Hyundai! Eek!
C'mon man don't be so pessimistic. Why can't they make a car like Mercedez? their quality is improving by leaps and bounds. Every body have a learing curve. He didn't ask any one to buy it, just said it is good.

PS: Atleast hyundai is learning, what about the Indian greats? they are still learning after 30+ years. Hyundai is the youngest kid in the block.
PPS: I am not working for hyundai.
Old 28th July 2011, 08:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
C'mon man don't be so pessimistic. Why can't they make a car like Mercedez? their quality is improving by leaps and bounds. Every body have a learing curve. He didn't ask any one to buy it, just said it is good.

PS: Atleast hyundai is learning, what about the Indian greats? they are still learning after 30+ years. Hyundai is the youngest kid in the block.
PPS: I am not working for hyundai.
I appreciate your viewpoint, but I have my own too. The quality feel of a Merc or a BMW will never be present in a hyundai. And I am not talking about current mers or bmws either. Look at cars from 15 years ago. they are STILL better built.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, not many would want to buy one, including me, over a Merc or a Beemer or an Audi or a new Jag. But do you think Hyudai should never make a car to challenge these brands??? If the answer to that is a no, then Hyundai has to start one day, and what's wrong with starting now.

I dont particularly like the design myself, but if you see even in Europe, Hyundai is the most respected of the Korean car makers, though as a maker of a good small car.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Agreed, not many would want to buy one, including me, over a Merc or a Beemer or an Audi or a new Jag. But do you think Hyudai should never make a car to challenge these brands??? If the answer to that is a no, then Hyundai has to start one day, and what's wrong with starting now.

I dont particularly like the design myself, but if you see even in Europe, Hyundai is the most respected of the Korean car makers, though as a maker of a good small car.
Oh no no!! Growth is the essence of any organization. I more than welcome their move to enter luxury markets as their entrants will make the biggies make better and better products. But I would never buy a Hyundai. They are completely soul-less. Atleast the european cars have some soul. And im not even talking about Alfas etc.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

As somebody who has seen Hyundai Excel when it was still selling, I never would have dreamed that the same company would make such giant strides in quality and style.

Quote:
But I would never buy a Hyundai. They are completely soul-less.
This logic has grown stale and even obsolete now. The current generation of i10, i20, Verna can put most other brands in their segment to shame in quality and style. Hyundai cars do have soul, you have to live with one to discover it. They are silent souls, not boisterous ones.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 09:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh no no!! Growth is the essence of any organization. I more than welcome their move to enter luxury markets as their entrants will make the biggies make better and better products. But I would never buy a Hyundai. They are completely soul-less. Atleast the european cars have some soul. And im not even talking about Alfas etc.
Completely agree on that part. The new players need to find something that they can be remembered by. A brand association is essential for them. On that front at least I think the Tata brand of cars is doing a bit better than the Korean manufacturers. Tata, if they continue on their present path, should come to be known in India as a maker of cars that are very well priced and big on space. Though the brand is also associated with iffy quality and service which they should lose. And Tata took a big leap by buying up two established brands in Jaguar and Land Rover, both of which are doing well and have a bright future worldwide.

The problem with Hyundai is you cant play the word association game with it. There is no one word that comes to mind immediately when you say Hyundai.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As somebody who has seen Hyundai Excel when it was still selling, I never would have dreamed that the same company would make such giant strides in quality and style.

This logic has grown stale and even obsolete now. The current generation of i10, i20, Verna can put most other brands in their segment to shame in quality and style. Hyundai cars do have soul, you have to live with one to discover it. They are silent souls, not boisterous ones.
I sill disagree. They still lack that "something special" that you get out of a Fiat Linea or a Ford Fiesta. that feel good factor. Ive drived everything they make and sell in India apart from the verna and I havent found anything even remotely special about them. And I have been in the back of the i40 which is basically the a Verna Tourer, and i was very very very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Completely agree on that part. The new players need to find something that they can be remembered by. A brand association is essential for them. On that front at least I think the Tata brand of cars is doing a bit better than the Korean manufacturers. Tata, if they continue on their present path, should come to be known in India as a maker of cars that are very well priced and big on space. Though the brand is also associated with iffy quality and service which they should lose. And Tata took a big leap by buying up two established brands in Jaguar and Land Rover, both of which are doing well and have a bright future worldwide.

The problem with Hyundai is you cant play the word association game with it. There is no one word that comes to mind immediately when you say Hyundai.
There is. But we cant discuss it here.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:55   #10
BHPian

That looks like an obese middle aged woman who still thinks she's got curves!

Being big and a Hyundai I sincerely hope it doesn't handle like The Titanic!

PS: Is this coming to India?
Old 28th July 2011, 10:12   #11
BHPian

IMHO once they adapted the fluidic styling - all thier cars are looking kind of the same. I dont find any diff between the new Azera and current Sonata, except in the size and few curves.

its boring IMHO.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:15   #12
BHPian

For a moment I thought the word 'caught' was used to say 'caught testing in India' ..how is it 'caught' if its displayed publicly in a auto show. Its misleading!

As far as looks go, very soon all cars will tend to look the same.

Skoda superb is one such example, a classy car at half the price ..so this car would be on the similar lines. But I guess this is a case of another Kizashi in the making....
Old 28th July 2011, 10:19   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The current generation of i10, i20, Verna can put most other brands in their segment to shame in quality and style.

Hyundai cars do have soul, you have to live with one to discover it.
I agree to your first part, but in second part i found it as DUD. I do own an i20 and 'living' with it.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
That looks like an obese middle aged woman who still thinks she's got curves!
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
IMHO once they adapted the fluidic styling - all thier cars are looking kind of the same. I dont find any diff between the new Azera and current Sonata, except in the size and few curves.

its boring IMHO.
True, the sedans do start looking the same, one just a bit longer than the other. But at least the styling adapts fine to the sedans. Take a look at the Tucson.
Attached Thumbnails
Stunning 2012 Hyundai Azera caught-2010_hyundai_tucson_gls_2__04272010.jpg  

Old 28th July 2011, 10:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks brilliant!
but i think that a front, or rear, three quarter shot is the most flattering for most cars.
Doesnt the bonnet shutline look like a mercdes'?
and the kink in the rear door to the boot, jagish?

but hey, like JC said "would you complain if your better half looked like uma thurman?"

As with all other hyundais, it will sell, whether it has that perceived soul or not, cos hey, its just a minute percentage of people who actually look for that when buying a car.
Here, on tbhp, EVERYONE may be looking for it, but we are just a small block for hyundai's customer base.

Most Viewed