Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 18:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar to build Porsche Boxster rival!

Post recession, the mood at Jaguar has been good. Sales are up, financial stability has returned and now Jaguar are slowly but steadily working toward expanding their product range to reach a wider customer base.

The Jaguar XE concept is one such car that is planned as part of a whole new generation of compact sports/executive cars to complement their range of premium cars.

The Boxster rivaling all-aluminium XE is expected to be launched at the end of 2012. An early teaser in the form of a concept car is expected to be unveiled at the Frankfurt auto show later this year.

New sports Jag to rival Boxster - Autocar.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Jaguar to build Porsche Boxster rival!-jaguarconcepts.jpg  

Old 1st August 2011, 18:56   #2
BANNED

Re: Jaguar to build Porsche Boxster rival!

I was just reading the autocar article on this earlier. Potential E-Type successor but they're wary of using the E-Type designation for it for obvious reasons. If they do though I'd like for it be more aesthetically similar to the original. The above image looks fine but not much of an E-Type.
Old 1st August 2011, 19:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Reviving old badges is always risky business, especially when they are classics.

But I think as of now the big question remains how good the engines will be. As of now JLR is almost a one engine manufacturer. I dont think they can get anymore new Ford engines, but just keep using them on the present cars. So these will be brand new engines in this car, or a V6 version of the 5L V8s.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 19:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

The company is going places under TATA !! Seems like a nice enough car, but I wonder if it is practical for the Indian Market. Soft tops never really get anywhere here in India. Just my 2 cents..

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:37   #5
BHPian

Here is the mule-testing
2013 Jaguar XE Spy Video
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:10   #6
BHPian

Under TATA, JLR seems to be doing good. Along with sales - styling, refinement and reliability seems to have been increased by looking at lack of recalls or complaints in major markets. However as many reviews have indicated in the past while comparing with the marquees like mercs, bimmers, etc. Jaguars still lag behind in handling.

While comparing with porsche handling may be the biggest factor imo. Even bigger than acceleration. If Jaguar manage to solve the handling challenge then this new model would be a worthy successor.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Jags have been bad handling cars at all. As of now they dont even make a proper sports car, only sports saloons. And the XF and XJ both handle fine. Of course one cant say they are in the league of BMW, but definitely not bad at all.

Their only sportscar is the XK, which basically is about a decade and a half old now, as even the present gen XK was only an evolution of the old XK. So its not very fair to compare it with all the present modern sports cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks