Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 16:54   #1
BHPian

pixo and a-star the same cars??

Guys, in the recently concluded Top Gear season, episode 4 [if I am not mistaken] had Jeremy Clarkson providing "alternatives" to the cheapest car in Britain, i.e., Nissan Pixo. During the video I realised it was nothing but a changed a-star. The interiors are the same and so are some of the exterior parts [such as the tail lamps]. Today I was casually checking the uk suzuki site, only to notice that suzuki also sell the a-star there. But they are both basically them cars if I am not mistaken! Do the two companies actually expect to fool the public by artificially increasing there options?

Whats going on here??
Old 10th August 2011, 17:13   #2
BHPian

Re: pixo and a-star the same cars??

see this site, will help

Nissan Pixo and Suzuki Alto: identical twins
Old 10th August 2011, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check this out two different French car companies selling a same product calling it by different names, while technically this a product of a Japanese company.
Attached Thumbnails
pixo and a-star the same cars??-2007mitsubishioutlander10.jpg  

pixo and a-star the same cars??-citroenccrosser.jpg  

pixo and a-star the same cars??-peugeot4007irmscher1.jpg  

Old 10th August 2011, 17:27   #4
BHPian

So they basically make an a-star, change the front on some of those a-stars, stick on a nissan logo, and sale them as two different cars? SO how does one choose between the nissan and the a-star?

@bandhav- didn't get you, mate. check what out???
Old 10th August 2011, 18:53   #5
BHPian

Are you surprised that Nissan and Suzuki platform share or just surprised in general that two cars are made out of the same parts bin?

Everyone platform shares!!The VW Group does it internally, Renault and Mercedes just signed an engine sharing deal, there's too many to mention.

Just because company's share parts and platforms it doesn't mean the cars have the same gearing rations, handling characteristics or interiors. That's how you choose.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Nissa Pixo is definitely Maruti A-Star. Jezza even says in the film that it is produced in India.

What's new in it? The Chevy Spark for instance is a Daewoo Matiz, the Logan I believe is not Renault but a Dacia. Similarly Indica sold by the Rover company in the UK is City Rover.

Companies who share stakes/tech etc often borrow some of their products for different markets. I recently heard a talk that VW India is gonna strike some deal with MSIL but somehow the deal fell apart, otherwise we would have seen Wagon-Rs and Swifts with VW or Skoda logos.

One of the most interesting switches being the all-new Aston Martin small car, The Cygnet. Its a Toyota IQ

Last edited by Scorcher : 10th August 2011 at 19:04.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:59   #7
BHPian

Our local Ritz has a twin too..

Old 10th August 2011, 20:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its the same car apart from the exterior cosmetics and branding. Interior is identical apart from the badging. The lowering springs i bought for my AStar were sold as for Nissan Pixo's.
Old 10th August 2011, 21:04   #9
BHPian

This is something that has been going on for a long long time. Lots of manufacturers share engines, platforms and as some of these pictures indicate - whole cars!

The one good thing is that we should be able to source similar/upgraded/aesthetically different parts from their international clones.

A new addition to this list is the Dodge Attitude sold in Mexico. I won't say which car it is. Google it and surprise yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive View Post
Is that a translated site?! Some of the things written here is hilarious! See below

Quote:

If you agree you will not even drive ridiculed.The car is as good as his hole. Only the sale of small and economical city car is still good.

Last edited by Tassem : 10th August 2011 at 21:09.
Old 10th August 2011, 21:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Pixo is produced my Maruti and then sold to Nissan for marketing (abroad only). It is same as Astar with just a few visual differences.
Old 10th August 2011, 22:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Guys, in the recently concluded Top Gear season, episode 4 [if I am not mistaken] had Jeremy Clarkson providing "alternatives" to the cheapest car in Britain, i.e., Nissan Pixo. During the video I realised it was nothing but a changed a-star. Whats going on here??
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
So they basically make an a-star, change the front on some of those a-stars, stick on a nissan logo, and sale them as two different cars?
Pixo is manufactured by MS and exported to Nissan. Both are the same. Except in India A-Star is sold as the the new gen Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Pixo is produced my Maruti and then sold to Nissan for marketing (abroad only). It is same as A-star with just a few visual differences.
Only Maruti makes A-Star/Alto for Suzuki.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Are you surprised that Nissan and Suzuki platform share or just surprised in general that two cars are made out of the same parts bin?

Everyone platform shares!!The VW Group does it internally, Renault and Mercedes just signed an engine sharing deal, there's too many to mention.

Just because company's share parts and platforms it doesn't mean the cars have the same gearing rations, handling characteristics or interiors. That's how you choose.
Platform sharing is one thing, but its like twin brothers but from different mothers!

I am aware of the fact that companies do sell cars of other companies by changing the looks slightly and then sticking on their logo. Something like Renault using the Dacia Logan in India. But what surprises me is even Suzuki is selling the same car in the same country. Wouldn't it be dumb if say in a couple of months Dacia decides to come as a separate company only to sell their version of a slightly cosmetically modified Logan where Mahindra is already selling the logan?
Old 11th August 2011, 11:18   #13
BHPian

This is not new I suppose.

The first time I came across this kind of re-badging was in the UK. Suzuki sell the SX4 hatchback which may be termed a mini SUV. Fiat sell the same thing as the Sedici.

Both are precisely the same vehicle with different badges. Engine, gearbox, interior.... the works!

In fact the prices of both these vehicles are also almost the same.
I think Fiat got this car due to their sharing the diesel engines to suzuki.

Last edited by laxmanrk : 11th August 2011 at 11:19.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:22   #14
BHPian

There is already a thread on the same subject.
Even I have seen Pixo in Germany during my recent visit. It was having Apollo tyres- so confirmed made in India!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...an-pixo-3.html
Pixo is made by MSIL and being exported.
AFAIK, there is an understanding between Suzuki and Nissan such that both brands will not compete in the same market.
But now is the UK scenario an exception to this?

Most Viewed