Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 10:18   #31
BHPian

Re: 2013 Dodge Viper Spied For The First Time | The Legend Rises From The Ashes!

I think the Viper has always been a car for the bedroom wall.... great to have on a poster, not so great to own. In the years that I lived in the US, I saw 911s every day, Ferraris at least once or twice a week, and Corvettes at least every other day. But only ONE Viper. Just one.
I went was standing by the car admiring it when the owner came back and we got chatting.... he candidly admitted that it was a terrible car to own. Build quality was poor, the door sills got so hot sometimes that the heat started radiating into the footwells, and it was appallingly bad to drive in the city. He said he'd driven a Corvette as well and that was a much easier car to live with and more reliable too.
I think Dodge has missed a trick with this new one. Early reports indicate that once again it's a great track car, but one one that you'd want to live with on a daily basis.

Also, the styling seems a bit.....off. The dimensions of the car make the wheels seem wayyy too small for those arches.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Dodge Viper Spied For The First Time | The Legend Rises From The Ashes!-original.jpg  

ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 12:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Dodge Viper Spied For The First Time | The Legend Rises From The Ashes!

If there is a machine that fits it badge & the name & quite literally too, this is it! If i were told to imagine a car named viper, it would be this...Thing of beauty! And must be a massive brute. Damn that roar!
Old 5th April 2012, 12:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Over all design seems good. Gargantuan hood ! Of course for an 8000cc+ engine which is not exactly compact one could expect such sizes.
What's with the SLS amg like headlamps ??? They kind of spoil it for me.
The original viper headlights were a lot better.
Old 5th April 2012, 14:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Americans love everything big so obviously Dodge had to carry over the 8.4L V10. Though the Dodge wins big on the paper, I wonder how good it would be to drive also. The handling and dynamics have never been the USP for Viper. It'll be interesting to know how this new one performs.

The design is really good. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
What's with the SLS amg like headlamps ??? They kind of spoil it for me.
The original viper headlights were a lot better.
OTOH, i feel the headlamps are a lift from the Jag CX16 concept!

2013 Dodge Viper Spied For The First Time | The Legend Rises From The Ashes!-dodge.jpg2013 Dodge Viper Spied For The First Time | The Legend Rises From The Ashes!-jaguarcx16concept.jpg
Old 5th April 2012, 23:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Americans love everything big so obviously Dodge had to carry over the 8.4L V10. Though the Dodge wins big on the paper, I wonder how good it would be to drive also. The handling and dynamics have never been the USP for Viper. It'll be interesting to know how this new one performs.

The design is really good. I like it.

OTOH, i feel the headlamps are a lift from the Jag CX16 concept!

Attachment 911851Attachment 911852
"Don't dismay about having stability control on a viper" said the viper team on their website www.driversrt.com. Viper's raw power and design was never meant to be a daily driver. One needs to get use to its power before flooring the gas pedal. The big engine is always acceptable as long as the power is refined and its good to drive. Its a typical American muscle car and lot of car enthusiast love it for its 8.4 L engine but do they buy it? Well, it wouldn't have almost died few years back if it did! I've always been a Viper lover and always will but I'm not sure if I'll spend that kind of money of something that doesn't roar every day in the morning.

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 5th April 2012 at 23:51.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

TG UK drives the new Viper and they say its mighty fun.

Quote:
OK, so what's it like to drive?

Fantastic. As soon as you slip into the new cabin, every touch point feels crisp, tight, controlled. And it stays that way as you get moving. The clutch is lighter, the gearshift more precise, requiring more wrist than shoulder, and the hydraulic steering is amazingly direct. Don't think it's lost all the trademark Viper hairiness. When you hit the gas hard it still erupts into a frenzy of noise and forward motion that you really can't find anywhere else other than a Viper cockpit. But the handling is really transformed. Inside half a lap you forget it's a big car and start throwing it around like it's a giant Elise. It now has that same extraordinary feedback from every wheel that allows you to push it right to the edge of the tyres' grip at will. Nice.

What about the stability control. Doesn't that ruin it?

Not even slightly. With the stability control on, you can floor the throttle way before the apex - a move that would instantly earn you an early bath in the old Viper - with nary a flicker from the system. So rather than being upset by it, as some purists are, you should probably regard it as a warning that you are getting close to the edge of not just your own but also the car's abilities. If you want to throw it off the road or track, you still can, but it won't be the Viper's fault.

Should I buy one?

If you want the bargain supercar of the decade, absolutely. The steering wheel is on the wrong side, it swigs petrol - bucking the industry trend for super efficiency the new car has a worse fuel consumption rating than the outgoing model - and it'll probably eat your neighbour's cat. But you won't mind about any of those things as you'll be having way too much fun to care.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/dod...ear-2012-09-11
Old 14th September 2012, 20:20   #37
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see that legend back. But for the look? No, it has lost all the sting of a VIPER.

I don't understand why everybody has to join that so called new design bandwagon? Why can't a legendary classic stay as a classic in terms of look?

I see the same with MINI Cooper too.
Old 19th December 2012, 13:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

The Viper SRT gets from Carpoint-Australia too. Except for the uninspiring exhaust note & non-availability of RHD variant, most won't find a reason to complain for in the new Viper over the 2010 model.

Here is the link to their Test Drive report:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2...st-drive-34192
Old 25th December 2012, 02:16   #39
Team-BHP Support

The new Viper looks astonishing.

It has retained some of those curves from the old Viper and at the same time, the designers have managed to inject some contemporary cues. It certainly does not have the charm of the old one. But it looks sharp.

If you've got 12 minutes to spare, here's a video from Jay Leno's Garage:

He seems to like it. And from the PR talk, it looks like they've nailed it. But I'd like to think that it's an improvement over the old gen in terms of driving experience. Even that depends on the way you look at it. While the Drive Network voted it to feature in a list of top-10 cars that would want to kill you, some people would like to spend $$$ just for that. or could it be just the so-called-purists talking through their hats?

When the Mercedes SLS was introduced to the public, I'd read / heard somewhere that the next Viper will be based on the same platform. How accurate is this? Anybody?

Most Viewed