Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 14:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW M550d & X6 M50d performance specs leaked

740 nm from a 3.0 tri-turbo diesel engine. I am almost in tears, can't control my happiness. I think I know what I should be saving up for. Also, I must move to Europe, it seems. Why is this being offered exclusively in Europe?
Old 13th December 2011, 15:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why BMW is steadfastly refusing to go beyond a 3L six pot. Sure it has great specs, but with three turbos, I would imagine the engine would be prone to very high stress loads.....wouldnt it be better to go in for a 4 liter v8? the whole point of diesels is relaxed performance......this goes against the grain.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I wonder why BMW is steadfastly refusing to go beyond a 3L six pot. Sure it has great specs, but with three turbos, I would imagine the engine would be prone to very high stress loads.....wouldnt it be better to go in for a 4 liter v8? the whole point of diesels is relaxed performance......this goes against the grain.

Downsizing is the in thing nowadays. If you have noticed , Audi downsized its S & RS spec engines from 5.2 litre v10 gallardo derived to a newer 4 litre TFSI in a much higher state of tune, Beemer has done the same with its new M5. More so with emission norms etc. getting stricter than ever i guess turbocharging/supercharging an engine might be the need of the hour ?? Just a hunch though, not sure about this.
That probably explains why BMW stuck on another turbo to the usual 3 litre in-line 6 instead of a v8.
Besides, developing a new engine means hoards of funds which they might rather want to invest into the R & D of M spec engines.
IIRC, they will be plonking the same tri-turbo unit even in the 640d instead of developing an all new v8.
Currently i dont think anyone (German/European) offers a V8 diesel except Audi...correct me if wrong.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 14th December 2011 at 10:03.
Old 14th December 2011, 14:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
There is no limit to engineering these days. Cars are getting cleaner & greener, more powerful and even more efficient. The material that the components are made of is pretty good, and engines these days are stronger and more durable than they used to be.

A 4/5-liter V8 would sound better (petrol) and probably feel better while being flogged, as opposed to a 3 liter twin-turbo V6. But the smaller capacity engine with forced induction is the flavour of this decade, owing to cleaner emissions and lesser fuel-consumption(?) without any real decrease in performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks