Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 10:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW developing a Diesel //M5?

A Diesel //M5?, hmm, now we're talking.
Quote:
The Detroit Bureau is reporting that BMW sources are saying that the tentatively named BMW 550dXM is definitely slated for a debut next spring.
The 550dXM will be coming from BMW's M division and will represent a diesel M5. The report says the 3.0 liter, tri-turbo diesel unit will deliver somewhere between 500 PS (368 kW / 493 bhp) and 550 PS (405 kW / 543 bhp) with a torque rating exceeding the 680 Nm (502 lb-ft) of torque of the current gasoline-powered M5.
But BMW M division's global marketing manager, Brian Watts, won't yet confirm the model is a sure go, although, he admits the automaker is considering the option.
Source

BMW developing a Diesel //M5?-566564871969430414.jpg

Last edited by Scorcher : 20th August 2011 at 10:35.
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 19:52   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW developing a Diesel //M5?

Sounds interesting except for the name.. they should just call it M5 D. And 500+ hp from a 3 l diesel is commendable. It could be a better performer than the current m5 which runs on petrol. And with those 3 turbos there will be practically no lag what so ever. I can hardly feel any lag with the twin turbos in my 335i.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Tri-turbo diesel ! Oh yeaaah!! This is what we need in India ! Given our poor fuel quality, a performance diesel engine is the way to go.

I hope other car makers follow suit.

@Mike: I think the name is suggested to be 550d probably to introduce it into the 7 series as the 750d. The 7 truly deserves a more powerful diesel option. However, I still think it would be better to call it the M5d and call it the 750d with the same engine.

Last edited by Sahil : 23rd August 2011 at 15:53.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Tri-turbo diesel ! Oh yeaaah!! This is what we need in India ! Given our poor fuel quality, a performance diesel engine is the way to go.

I hope other car makers follow suit.

@Mike: I think the name is suggested to be 550d probably to introduce it into the 7 series as the 750d. The 7 truly deserves a more powerful diesel option. However, I still think it would be better to call it the M5d and call it the 750d with the same engine.
That actually makes sense. But its not the first time they are doing it. I mean they have previously used their 4.4L V8 for both their regular cars and the m division cars. obviously the setup and the output were quite different. but still M5 d would be easy to remember. And 750d would be amazing, this is whats been missing with the 7er. They could also introduce this option to their suvs.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:48   #5
BHPian

I'm not so sure about diesel, Ya will have enough torque to pull the moon out of orbit, but a diesel really, on an M5? I'm sorry but the whole point of a diesel?

BMW is now going Audi's way like they did with the Q7 V12 diesel.
And this is just sad.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh my God. I want to drive it already !!

I've always wondered why sedans don't get humongous diesels. Especially when the Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI and the Audi Q7 6.0 W12 TDI are available. Torrrrrrrque thunder
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

This is, arguably, the best car, BMW has ever made! It's perfect! A great looking car, packed with electronic gadgetry, superior handling, and now a very powerful engine that drinks the dirty fuel! What more could one ask for? This 550dM/M5d or whatever, is the ultimate petrol-head's diesel car.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2011 at 20:15.
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
I'm not so sure about diesel, Ya will have enough torque to pull the moon out of orbit, but a diesel really, on an M5? I'm sorry but the whole point of a diesel?

And this is just sad.
Why is it sad? You buy an m5 in India and pay dearly for 97 octane fuel, not to forget that you 99% of pumps don't stock it. Or you buy put 91octane in it and watch it get smoked by a 535d !
Rather have a readily available, cheaper fuel that give you the entire power you paid for.

The stereotype of a performance car must be petrol doesn't hold value in India. Unless your neighbourhood pump has 97 octane and your ready to pay 4 times the price of diesel for it.

While we are on the topic I hope Porsche lines up an entire diesel offering equivalent to it's petrol. The CayanneD is already pitched against the v6 petrol cayenne and out sells it in India, hands down. Now if only the 4.2Tdi v8 is got in to take on the CayanneS and the 6.0 w12 tdi to take on the Cayanne Turbo or even the TurboS!!
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The stereotype of a performance car must be petrol doesn't hold value in India. Unless your neighbourhood pump has 97 octane and your ready to pay 4 times the price of diesel for it.
In that case, the stereotype of a performance car must be an M5 doesn't hold value in India either, why not jus import a 550i.

And are you seriously worried about petrol prices after buying an M5 for Rs 1 crore? Your maintenance costs for an M5 will overshadow that.

These cars like M5D, and the cars one will never take to a track - yet being fixed with large engines jus becoz they can Q7 V12 TDi, RR Sport V10 Supercharged, BMW X5M, are cars that defeat their own purpose.

The M5 is there for a reason, and the reason is the petrol V10 (now the V8), and the supernatural handling. It isn't a car justified on the basis of unavailability of higher octane fuel, in which case one should sell his kids, and relocate to a home near a 97 Octane pump. I'd do that, If I had the case for an M5.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not so sure about diesel, Ya will have enough torque to pull the moon out of orbit, but a diesel really, on an M5? I'm sorry but the whole point of a diesel? -
Wait a second. So let me get this straight.....what according to you , IS the whole point of a diesel? Just giving good average with mediocre or pathetic performance? Don't you think this is seriously stereotyping diesel here as a fuel ? OK,people with high mileage and wanting high efficiency go for it in India primary reason being that diesel is just so much cheaper. '

Diesel really ? On an M5 ?'
- If at all you follow Le Mans & Audi/Peugeot's performances in the past half decade (r10-15 TDI) i am sure you would not make such a statement. The fun and high yielded from a diesel is completely different from that of a high revving petrol and once used to extremely torquey diesels, it is difficult liking a petrol unless its exceptionally good. An M5 being the benchmark for most sporty sedans worldwide, i am also pretty sure the M5 D would be a suitable rival to the petrol M5 as far as the pure 'fun' factor is concerned. Post Audi's consistent performances and victories in Le Mans 24 hours, the world has woken up and taken notice of diesel technology and what it is capable of. After all, silencing Ferrari and Porsche is no mean task. So contrary to what you say, plonking advanced oil-burners in high end sedans is a very good idea from the point of view of the future.

And this is just sad
. - Again...Why sad ? Audi started it and made others take notice. BMW is following suit.

Replied in Italic above.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 24th August 2011 at 11:36.
Old 24th August 2011, 12:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@haldar: I don't see any reason why the M5D cannot be taken to a track? The handling on a BMW remains the same whether petrol or diesel. I have one sincere request to rest my case, test drive the v8 TDi Q7
Old 24th August 2011, 13:12   #12
BHPian

@Sahil:
The 4.2 is good buy for India, Mammoth torque and power and running on the cheaper fuel in an SUV are all good aspects for a luxury car buy here.
I can agree that the 4.2 V8 TDi on the Q7 makes more of a sense than the 6.0 V12 TDi. With the V8 you are buying more useable power and torque than the 6.0 V12 on an SUV.

Which is a reason why Audi has never brought the A8 W12 or Q7 V12 to India.
(But that didnt stop BMW & Merc from getting the 760Li and S63/S65 AMGs )
Old 24th August 2011, 16:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Replied in Italic above.
BMW not exactly following the suit. The large displacement diesels in audi may be a powerful machines but not really efficient. While audi has opted for 4.2 and 6 L engines, BMW engineers have developed an m5 with 3 turbos on a 3l engine which could very well smoke the current m5. The difference is bmw is moving towards the more efficient way.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
BMW not exactly following the suit. The large displacement diesels in audi may be a powerful machines but not really efficient. While audi has opted for 4.2 and 6 L engines, BMW engineers have developed an m5 with 3 turbos on a 3l engine which could very well smoke the current m5. The difference is bmw is moving towards the more efficient way.
By that, i meant develop diesel technology for the future
Old 24th August 2011, 16:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:

with enough power and torque to pull the moon out of orbit, i dont see why there should be a problem with the fuel type.

Quote:
The M5 is there for a reason, and the reason is the petrol V10 (now the V8), and the supernatural handling.
Well the V8 is still there with over 550 horses (so that basically covers the reason for the existance of M5).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks