Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 16:47   #16
Zed
BHPian

Re: wow, they really goofed on the new Defender

Im torn between the two schools of thought expressed in the posts. I guess there is a possible compromise. The basic panels , roof and cabin in this new concept lends a contemporary \ futuristic feel. By making changes to the treatment of the front end - headlamps \ grille \ bonnet - the designers at LR can certainly reach out to potential customers who harbour a strong preference for the traditional Defender styling.
Old 31st August 2011, 18:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is probably more the kind of design that will keep the "old timers" happy.

New Land Rover Defender, have they really goofed up?-315074_10150359056724994_666224993_10122643_1427048_n.jpg

Credits to the orginal designer. Photo lifted from Facebook page of Land Rover, where it was posted by the fan.

But to me this would be just more of the same of what we have been getting for the last half a century. While I dont want it to lose the purpose of being a tough true go anywhere vehicle with some serious capabilities. I also want it to be a modern car, that looks and feels like it actually belongs in the 21st century, and not one that has been tinkered with to adjust to its new surroundings.

I want something fresh, something new, something that respects the old Defender and the classic status that it has, but knows that it is something that belongs to the modern world.

Last edited by julupani : 31st August 2011 at 18:14.
julupani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 18:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Honda Element, but I thought the Element looks better. Thankfully this is just a concept proposal.
Old 31st August 2011, 19:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
nah. it violates the first principle of Land Rover creed by being having unnecessary decorative adornment. Frippery. the unnecessarily over done grill, the unnecessary rings around the headlights, unecessary garnishing around the side vents, pointless wood stripe.

JLR themselves pasted a ridiculous face on the Land Rover that this picture develops upon (with those rings around headlights). I'm sorry I don't have a picture that I own that I can submit to be stamped with the team-bhp logo.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:06   #20
BHPian

Land Rover Confirms All-New Defender Concept For Frankfurt Motor Show 2011

Source : Official Land Rover News & Information | Land Rover Media Centre

Land Rover Confirms All-New Defender Concept For Frankfurt Motor Show

Tuesday, August 30, 2011
  • Land Rover DC100 investigates the potential future direction of the iconic Defender
  • Demonstrates the future of Land Rover capability and versatility
  • Functional and purposeful design delivered by Land Rover design team, led by Gerry McGovern
  • Land Rover confirms its intention to launch a new Defender in 2015
The Land Rover DC100, a modern interpretation of the iconic Land Rover Defender will make its debut at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show.
Land Rover also confirms today, that production of a new Defender is intended for 2015.

Commenting on the Land Rover DC100 concept car,Gerry McGovern, Director of Design, Land Rover said:"Replacing the iconic Defender is one of the biggest challenges in the automotive design world; it is a car that inspires people worldwide. This isn't a production-ready concept but the beginning of a four-year journey to design a relevant Defender for the 21st century."

John Edwards, Global Brand Director, Land Rover added: "Loved the world over for its simple, honest and distinctive design, we are determined that the new Defender will be true to its heritage, while meeting the requirements of a changing global market.

We plan to engage with existing and potential customers to help us finalise the details of the new vehicle. One thing's for sure, it's going to be an exciting journey, and we can't wait to get going."

The Land Rover DC100 concept builds upon the essential elements of the car's character and allows Land Rover to open the debate and inspire people to dream about the Defenders of the future. The next chapter in the Defender story will unfold at 09:15 hrs (CET) on September 13, 2011 at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Notes to editors
Old 1st September 2011, 08:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have been reading about a lot on LR's DC100 concept, and many Defender loyalists dont seem to like it. Like I said before, most of them want almost no tinkering with the shape at all.

But after reading hundred's of comments, I believe the problem is not that the design is bad by itself. But I think the reason is because this Defender Concept looks far more like the rest of the LR product range, by association the capabilities of the Defender will also become more like the Freelander, Evoque and RR Sport. It will become just another Land Rover, which is a great off-roader, much better than the plethora of soft-roaders in the market, but still not upto Defender standards.

But my point is lets not pronounce a full judgement on the new Defender just based on this DC100 concept, which is a very early stage of the design process. I am not saying how good or bad the new Defender will be. If at all we can get any idea about the new Defender from this concept, it is only about its external looks.

And from an external look point of view its more than good enough for me. Of course, even I hate a few things about it, the wheels for example. But at the end of the day this is just a concept, and not the final product.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:26   #22
BHPian

This looks like a cross between Toyota FJ Cruiser and Skoda Yeti. The rear looks so much like the FJ Cruiser.

According to Gerry McGovern, Director of Design at Land Rover, said: “This isn’t a production-ready concept but the beginning of a four-year journey to design a relevant Defender for the 21st century.”
This design intended to kick start the design process for the new Defender. According to LR Brand Director, they plan to engage with existing and potential customers to help them finalise the details of the new vehicle. So, the production vehicle might be completely different.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Land Rover Confirms All-New Defender Concept For Frankfurt Motor Show 2011

a small SUV on the likes of Defender!!

BTW i hope they keep the rigid axles in this one. (which i doubt)

other wise it will just be a Rang-rover in defender clothes.
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:56   #24
BHPian

Re: New Land Rover Defender, have they really goofed up?

I don't like it either, not single bit and my reasons are as follows:
a. Its a Defender concept, so why does it look like a YETI ?
b. In the side profile, the roof looks very "Evoque-ish"
c. Now, to the design language itself, Gerry Mcgovern obviously knows a zillion times more than me about design, and I applaud him for encapsulating it beautifully about how difficult a task it will be to emulate the old defender design . But in my humble opinion, this design does not have all the qualities which the old defender design has.

Make a new design, no problem with that, but don't kill what the old defender speaks to the spectator.
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:10   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this looks vaguely americanish - a bit like that Chrysler town and country - somehow thats what strikes me on seeing this particular pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

Attachment 602465

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2011 at 19:06. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Another rendering @ autoblog.

Land Rover DC100 gets rendered out

New Land Rover Defender, have they really goofed up?-landroverdefenderconcept08.jpg
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
wow. the new Land Rover Defender concept is horrible. its like a cartoon. LR execs were talking about how they were aware of the burden of history they carried. Bull. they blew it. It looks ridiculous. Thank Goodness Chrysler shows with the Wrangler that it knows how its done
I agree, I have 2 diecast models of the original Defenders both the short (90) and long wheel base(110).
Original ones looked awesome.
Why do they call it a Defender ?

Last edited by chetanhanda : 2nd September 2011 at 15:23. Reason: typo
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Land Rover Confirms All-New Defender Concept For Frankfurt Motor Show 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Commenting on the Land Rover DC100 concept car,Gerry McGovern, Director of Design, Land Rover said:" This isn't a production-ready concept but the beginning of a four-year journey to design a relevant Defender for the 21st century."
Thank God for that. The Yeti-on-steroids concept is the most un-imaginative concept from Land Rover in recent times. Definitely not befitting the iconic Defender badge.

This, coming from a company that put out the superb LRX concept which later metamorphosized into the equally good looking production car.

The next generation Defender is due for launch only in 2015. Time for Land Rover to go back to the drawing board.
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

That design is dictated by the current legislature!

As it is, soon, the defender will not be able to ply on European roads due to pedestrian crash considerations, hence the front is rounded off. Defender lost the lucrative US market due to lack of safety devices. I am sure JLR wants to remain in the market, hence they have to bow down to the diktat of legislation. So there is no other option left with JLR.

If you want that rugged look, try ex-military vehicles, but there again it would be difficult to make them street legal.

As long as the new Defender can perform at par or better than the current offering I see no harm in the shape. Yes if it is priced at par with modern SUV, then it would be difficult to justify taking it to the bush and bashing it up. But then people do take the G Wagen off roads and into the wild! I guess the days of getting a new 4x4 capable of taking a beating in the wild at a reasonable cost are slowly winding down.

Thar now seems to be the only offering (barring ex-army jeeps) at the lower end of the market, and the G Wagen at the other extreme.
Old 4th September 2011, 01:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I

EDIT: I think it is time for Defender fans to accept that the defender is dead. Its now only going to exist as a variant of the LR4 and all the traits and characteristics about it that we loved are going to exist only as synthetic superficial artifices that LR lays over the LR platform. A short wheel base LR4 with a chunky body on it and a defender badge is still an LR4 and not a defender.

The jeep wrangler will soon be the only vehicle of its kind. but I wouldn't be surprised if it too lasts as it is for just one more generation.
LR4 has very capable underpinnings.A decontented / less tech heavy LR4 platform with similar off road capabilities is the best the Defender can hope for at this point. I dont think LR/ TATA (or any other company) can afford to spend in excess of $1B on an all new 4WD platform for such a niche vehicle and still sell it cheap as many Defender fans expect LR to do. There will not an ALL NEW Wrangler or G Wagon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks