Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Clarkson says this year's Top Gear Christmas special will be in India

I guess a Kanyakumari to Ladakh trip will be a big hit! Or Even a trip from the deserts of Rajasthan to the Icy Peaks of Himalayas would be a showcase for India and its diverse landscape.

Keep it coming people.What do you think TG should do in India? What do you think they should cover(Places,roads etc) ?
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:58   #17
BHPian

Race from Howrah junction to the other end of Esplanade!
Hammond on a Aston Martin, James May on Amby taxi, and Jeremy on a bullock cart. I reckon the bullock cart will win.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:01   #18
BHPian

Lets take them all to Maumulpet/Chickpet here in Bangalore with their fancy cars. Wow 1km per hour in a 200bhp plus sports car. They will also love the potholes in India, of course might get stuck into one. Oh! yes how can we forget the cattle!
Prithvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

ill tell you one place where they will surely be(my perception).
In lutyen's.
They will definitely showcase these roads, and locales.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:59   #20
BHPian

Speaking of uncool statements, I wonder what Swami Jeremyanand will have to say about our ubiquitous Indicas and Swifts. Will there be a scuffle within t-bhp?? :-)
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Speaking of uncool statements, I wonder what Swami Jeremyanand will have to say about our ubiquitous Indicas and Swifts. Will there be a scuffle within t-bhp?? :-)
James tested the indica, and jeremy more or less reflects his views.
Jeremy has tested the swift, and really liked it.
the swift was the sport avatar, and he has "waxed eloquently" about it, so to speak..
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:23   #22
BHPian

I suppose it will be an Ambassador, A Mahindra and a MAruti. They will pick one of each models , cant say which for now cause these really represent our automobile scene unless they have bikes on mind then it is the enfield and the bajaj scooter.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

If it's an old car challange (with limited budget ofcourse, as they always do) then I hope that it would be an old Amby, Contessa Classic and probably a Premier Padmini. If they want off-roaders then an old Gypsy, Mahindra Classic and something else. They can either try a run through the Rann of Kutch and Desserts of Rajasthan. Ladakh circuit will be closed by then anyway, otherwise that would've been the best option. GQ drive would be too boring and so would be F1 trek but as this is a special episode, i don't expect that they would do F1 circuit.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't wait to see it, though i am not too enthused about the idea of JC saying something 'bad' about our country,still it will be inevitable.
Am all in looking forward to it,the last time he came on the 'MotorWorld' show, we were not that bright on the automotive front one has to agree.
But now it's improved albeit not in other countries level.
Well , an Amby is a given, but how can you forget Nano? Maybe a ride in a Mumbai taxi(Padmini), a scene showing Dharavi in contrast with some skyscrapers, maybe a bullock cart in contrast with an S class.
Well looking forward to it whatever.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

if they do a run from gurgaon to the f1 track in noida, i think theyll have enough footage volume to wind up one season minimum!!!

I hope they drive upto someplace like kasauli/mussorie or munnar, rather than go to agra and jaipur and run of the mill hotspots( as per tourist sites)
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:24   #26
BHPian

What i would like to see...
>Jeremy in a modded Contessa/Amby doing power slides !!!
>James testing a Nano.
>Hammond offroading in a Thar.
But i dont think they would come anyway near another Reva
mukundmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
What i would like to see...
>Jeremy in a modded Contessa/Amby doing power slides !!!
>James testing a Nano.
>Hammond offroading in a Thar.
  • Contessa? Yes, I see where this is going
  • Possible
  • Possible
Bro, this ain't a normal TG episode but a Special, it wont be segments but one film involving all the three wise men, like the Polar, Bolivia, Vietnam Special etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
But i dont think they would come anyway near another Reva
Steep chances. Reva has already appeared in TG in its European avatar, the G-Wiz.
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:01   #28
BHPian

A lot of people have the following misconceptions about Topgear.As a fan of Topgear for several years I shall try to get rid of some of them.

1.Topgear drive only exotics:This is absolutely not true.On their various road trip's they have bought cheap and interesting cars and driven them to the extreme.Topgear road trip's really epitomizes camaraderie among petrol-head's.Please watch their various road trips and you understand what a road trip is all about.They also do interesting challenges and takes with simple and normal cars too.

2.Topgear is rude and hate what common people drive and only like British Cars:Take what they say with a pinch of salt.They really dont take themselves seriously.They hate Korean and Malaysian cars because they feel their is no passion in these cars.They actually like a lot of Japanese cars like the Jazz and the Swift and not to forget the GTR.They actually love simple cheap Euro hatchbacks and frankly a lot of BHPians would pick them over any Korean or Jap hatch were it to be sold in India.As regards their love for British cars,again not neccesarily true.They hate British Leyland cars ,however they like the new Jaguars and the Aston Martin's.Frankly the new Jaguars are up there with the best and the Aston Martin's are truly desirable cars just for their incredible looks.They may seem biased but in various tests they actually called the Porsche 911 a better car than the Aston vantage inspite of them hating Porsche.

3.Topgear makes insensitive statements about countries:Yes true to an extent.But all in good humour guys! Why is it that we Indians have horribly low tempers and have no sense of humour? If a french or an Italian can take a joke as a joke and not get all rowdy about it,why then do we take everything seriously? Does Russel Peters not make fun about us? Anyway Topgear in all their roadtrips have had nothing but good things to say about the countries they travelled.

Our Country is beautiful.The natural beauty of our country is second to none.Topgear has millions of viewers all over the world.If Topgear does come to India it shall be a showcase for our beautiful country.Let us not fret about Jeremy Clarkson making some insensitive comments about our driving style,after all we are hardly perfect.If Topgear found Vietnam beautiful then I guess they would be spell bound by the beauty and complexities of life in our Incredible India.

Peace.
Ascari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I saw that series and still remembers vividly. On that open top Mahindra he said that it is the worst car he has ever driven in the entire world. Can you guess, that co driver was Hormazd Sorabjee who was then with Auto India mag. That episode did show the delivery of a new Amby and the drive off through lemons placed in front of all four wheels. (I had posted about the open jeep drive in some other thread too some time back)
Was that Hormazd Sorabjee Ha! I had no idea. Makes sense though to feature an Indian car magazine editor. Don't remember much else from that episode, but i did enjoy the series.
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
They may seem biased but in various tests they actually called the Porsche 911 a better car than the Aston vantage inspite of them hating Porsche.
Completely agree with each point.

In fact even in S15 E4 they do a four-door supercar challenge and prove that the Panamera is the fastest after calling it the ugly looking frog.

They are funny because they need to be so for the show to remain interesting + they want the viewers to have fun.

I just hope they do a Himalayas Expedition (including Ladakh) in a Gypsy

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 23rd September 2011 at 14:55.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed