Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2006, 02:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata's Cliffrider/volvo's merc killer at Geneva

Tata motors today unveiled the Tata Cliffrider model here at Geneve. Looks more like based on the pontiac Aztek to me with smoother lines.

here is the link through The Hindu Business line

link

Also Volvo has since some years started to build its reputation from being a granpa's car to being the racer boys dream. Now their latest car from the S80 stable is here to take on mercedes S-class big time.

official volvo link to the new s80

link

here is the picture slideshow courtest www.autonews.com
link

details on the s80
link
Old 3rd March 2006, 04:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

The S80 is an E-Class/5 Series/S Type/A6/166(7)/9-5 rival.
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

My typo.

S80 is a E-class competitor.

S-class is much bigger. approx 15inches and 2.5 times expensive.
Old 3rd March 2006, 10:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

The cliffhanger looks way too small and cleaner than the Aztek. The Aztek is one hidious monster.

I have regularly driven my Uncle's S80, the last one being the 2004 model. There was nothing special about that one, in fact it had serious quality issues. Wonder what is new now.
Old 3rd March 2006, 11:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

the Cliffrider looks a bit too flaming especially in that colour..:P

i wonder when TATA will start launching their concepts ...
Old 4th March 2006, 04:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
The cliffhanger looks way too small and cleaner than the Aztek. The Aztek is one hidious monster.

I have regularly driven my Uncle's S80, the last one being the 2004 model. There was nothing special about that one, in fact it had serious quality issues. Wonder what is new now.
you are actually the first person I am listening this to. I have heard from most people saying good things about volvo.
Old 4th March 2006, 20:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

We have an S80, 2.4 It's a very comfortable car, but to drive, I believe it's nothing radical, and especially not as 'ultimate' as the Bmw's e60 offerring. Safe, reliable, sturdy and comfortable. That's about it though.
Old 4th March 2006, 23:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
you are actually the first person I am listening this to. I have heard from most people saying good things about volvo.
The uncle I mentioned has leased 8 volvos back to back every 3 years since the 70s. I have driven last 4 of his volvos regularly. I lived in NJ and he lives (still) in Staten Island. He doesn't like driving much, hence I used to drive whenever I visit him which is couple of times a month.

The volvo decline started after Ford bought them over. Before that safety was the only mantra of Volvo. However in the later part of 90s, most cars started becoming as safe as (more or less) volvo because of federal safety regulations. Therefore volvo started losing its niche. Therefore Ford tried many experiments to save the brand, the smaller sporty S40, S60 are part of that experiment. Meanwhile, quality has declined. Did you know S80 being an auto transmission car starts moving back in just a moderate uphill road while on D? Even Santro doesn't do that. When the problem was shown to service center, they called it a feature in la Microsoft style. Last year this car just broke down while driving in the middle of the road, it just snapped. Sorry, I don't know exactly what happened since my uncle isn't technical enough to describe it over the phone. It wasn't an accident, but it broke down so violently in the road, my uncle suffered serious internal injury in the eye and has barely driven since then. The car needed extensive repairs after that. He underwent 3 surgeries to his eye and they keep filling some silicon liquid into his eyes.

Meanwhile the S80 got totalled in a side impact accident. Now they finally got their first non-volvo car, the Camry.
Old 5th March 2006, 05:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

That's really shocking to hear, hope your uncle recoveres soon and safely.

We had a 2002 S80, the first generation version, running on 16s. It never gave us a single fault in its three year life with us. Last year, we got a 2005 S80, the facelifted version (bi-xenons, chrome inserts, more visually appealing basically), which runs on 17s. Similarly, no problem whatsoever with this one either. It's driven religiously, but as always, reliability is top-notch. Excellent...
Old 5th March 2006, 06:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
The uncle I mentioned has leased 8 volvos back to back every 3 years since the 70s. I have driven last 4 of his volvos regularly. I lived in NJ and he lives (still) in Staten Island. He doesn't like driving much, hence I used to drive whenever I visit him which is couple of times a month.

The volvo decline started after Ford bought them over. Before that safety was the only mantra of Volvo. However in the later part of 90s, most cars started becoming as safe as (more or less) volvo because of federal safety regulations. Therefore volvo started losing its niche. Therefore Ford tried many experiments to save the brand, the smaller sporty S40, S60 are part of that experiment. Meanwhile, quality has declined. Did you know S80 being an auto transmission car starts moving back in just a moderate uphill road while on D? Even Santro doesn't do that. When the problem was shown to service center, they called it a feature in la Microsoft style. Last year this car just broke down while driving in the middle of the road, it just snapped. Sorry, I don't know exactly what happened since my uncle isn't technical enough to describe it over the phone. It wasn't an accident, but it broke down so violently in the road, my uncle suffered serious internal injury in the eye and has barely driven since then. The car needed extensive repairs after that. He underwent 3 surgeries to his eye and they keep filling some silicon liquid into his eyes.

Meanwhile the S80 got totalled in a side impact accident. Now they finally got their first non-volvo car, the Camry.

sad to hear about your uncle. Yes its true that ford has played havoc with many brands like Mazda too. But I just had a seat in the volvo,audi,mercedess,bmw,lexus,acura, infinity and chrysler.

the best quality nonetheless belonged to

Audi
Mercedes
acura(part of honda)
infiniti/Volvo
bmw
lexus
chrysler
Old 5th March 2006, 08:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm shocked Mercedes is ranked second on that list. Off late, their quality workmanship and niche brand name image have dramatically deteriorated.
Old 5th March 2006, 08:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh, and by the way...Happy Birthday Devarshi.
Old 5th March 2006, 10:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

saw teh Honda Civic R?
Old 6th March 2006, 11:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan
I'm shocked Mercedes is ranked second on that list. Off late, their quality workmanship and niche brand name image have dramatically deteriorated.

I have listed them on my personal experience in each car at the toronto auto show.Audi was the best followed by the mercedes.

volvo s40 rocked for its price I must say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks