Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2012, 13:57   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Skoda YETI concept - anyone interested?

I find this artists-impression to be a nice render of what's to come from the Skoda stable in the future. There was some talk about a larger SUV called 'Big-Foot' but there were no spy-shots of that. It looked like a larger Yeti but with some distinctness to it. Just like that SUV, this one is also just an artists-rendering.

I haven't come across any spy-shots of this car abroad, where it's most likely to be sold before it makes its way here.

Could we have some more concrete information on this please?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th July 2012 at 13:59.
Old 8th July 2012, 17:14   #32
BHPian

Wow!!! is the only word that comes to mind and if they can price the base version less than 11 lakh on the road. Imagine if Skoda do the unbelievable and announce its imminent production and go ahead and launch it by Deepawali; then the Duster might just end up being a still born child of Renault.
Old 8th July 2012, 17:24   #33
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Wow!!! is the only word that comes to mind and if they can price the base version less than 11 lakh on the road. Imagine if Skoda do the unbelievable and announce its imminent production and go ahead and launch it by Deepawali; then the Duster might just end up being a still born child of Renault.
I have seen this many times on teambhp. Everyone hopes for the impossible and when the expected sane pricing comes, they show disappointment. Skoda Yeti for 11lac? not going to happen my friend.

The facelift might take 1 year to reach India which means a new design will take atleast 3 years from now(to reach India) if you see how far apart Skoda plans new designs.

Last edited by vij : 8th July 2012 at 17:29.
vij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 20:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij
. Skoda Yeti for 11lac? not going to happen my friend.

The facelift might take 1 year to reach India which means a new design will take atleast 3 years from now(to reach India) if you see how far apart Skoda plans new designs.
Absolutely. And then people will run away from Skoda. Thats what happens everytime. And 11 lakhs for this car after 3years?? Definitely not possible when you take into account all the economic factors. Either it can be priced the same or higher unless Skoda does 100percent localisation which i doubt. Cant expect a world class car to be priced below the XUV5oo can we?!
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

New Skoda Yeti facelift doing the round in briskoda.net. The menacing front has gone, its now a cultured yeti

Name:  yeti new.png
Views: 8811
Size:  121.3 KB
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
This is how the next generation of Yeti is expected to look.To me it is looking bigger and that is because increase in length by 30 cm, maybe will have third row seats also.I like it,what do you all say? Maybe Skoda will launch it at the auto-show at Delhi January next year.thanks to Autobid for the pic.
Looks great. The fog lamps have very nicely blended into the design of the vehicle.

Another interesting fact is that skoda is revealing too much on the design concept for their future models. I think they are trying guage overall customer response
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:32   #37
BHPian

If viewed independently, the Mission-L is certainly a sharp design language from Skoda. The clean lines and defined angles make the form look very modern but very 'German' or rather very very VW-ish at the same time. Now that to me is both a good and bad thing.

As for the good part, it offers VW and Skoda, significant potential for platform and parts sharing which as we know brings down production costs thereby providing tremendous opportunities for aggressive pricing. However, in markets such as ours, due to the incredible premium German brands command, that is seldom delivered and both brands land up over pricing their products.

Coming to the bad, I see this in many ways sabotaging and destroying the brand identity of Skoda. Imagine if a Porsche and Bugatti were to like each other and start resembling an Audi. Wearing the hat of a true blue auto lover I would say that would be atrocious. Design identities of brands cannot be tampered with. PERIOD. In the European avatar, the Rapid looks even more a Vento than what it is today...and that's the problem with the Mission-L design language.

Quote:
This is how the next generation of Yeti is expected to look.To me it is looking bigger and that is because increase in length by 30 cm, maybe will have third row seats also

First I doubt that would even be the Yeti. Even if it were, where is the Yeti in it. Not to say the design is not like able, it very much is. But it looks every bit a VW tiguan (Take a look at the design of it vis-a-vis the VW Tiguan below.) with the bug-eyed fog lamps force fitted in it as an after thought.

However, reports say, that this one is a new offering from Skpda which would be positioned above the Yeti. So all that 11-15 lakh pricing expectations can be buried in haste.

Quote:
Maybe Skoda will launch it at the auto-show at Delhi January next year.thanks to Autobid for the pic.
The reports also say that this offering would be "shown" only in late 2015 and made available for production possibly by 2016. So, anybody who is looking to buy a Yeti can go ahead without being deterred by an impending overhaul just round the corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
New Skoda Yeti facelift doing the round in briskoda.net. The menacing front has gone, its now a cultured yeti
But yes, there is a minor face lift planned and that could well be this one. The size of the car should and probably would stay the way it is. The Yeti in its current size is just optimal for its purpose and intent. That explains why its got such a big fan following in Europe. I hear, the car has a 6 months waiting period in UK. Its a size that makes it just right for a urban cross over. Its small enough to be taken to work every day and out on the dirt track on occasional weekends or vacation.

Finally on a broader note, I am of the opinion that the definition of the word SUV has been grossly skewed, perhaps by the Americans, who have a fetish for everything large. How can an auto form with the word "Sports" in it possibly ever be large. Has anybody heard of a sports car that sits 7 people? That criteria is for MUV. Any automobile with the 'Sport' moniker must be fast, punchy, agile, nimble and in that right Yeti is the true SUV that one should be...
Attached Thumbnails
New Skoda YETI concept - anyone interested?-skoda-yeti-2013.jpg  

New Skoda YETI concept - anyone interested?-vw-tiguan.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2012, 12:00   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorauto View Post
Finally on a broader note, I am of the opinion that the definition of the word SUV has been grossly skewed, perhaps by the Americans, who have a fetish for everything large. How can an auto form with the word "Sports" in it possibly ever be large. Has anybody heard of a sports car that sits 7 people? That criteria is for MUV. Any automobile with the 'Sport' moniker must be fast, punchy, agile, nimble and in that right Yeti is the true SUV that one should be...

The word 'Sport' in the acronym 'SUV' doesn't refer to the car's agility, nimbleness and punchy-characteristics when driven 'round a track or on tarmac.

Tackling rough terrain, slush and mud, can also be considered a 'sport'. True SUVs are designed and engineered to break away from the mundane activities of ferrying people from one place to another and engage the driver in the adventurous activities of off-roading. For every thing else, there are MUVs.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The word 'Sport' in the acronym 'SUV' doesn't refer to the car's agility, nimbleness and punchy-characteristics when driven 'round a track or on tarmac.

Tackling rough terrain, slush and mud, can also be considered a 'sport'. True SUVs are designed and engineered to break away from the mundane activities of ferrying people from one place to another and engage the driver in the adventurous activities of off-roading. For every thing else, there are MUVs.
Though this seems correct, actually the term SUV was coined to differentiate Off-roaders with 'panache' from work-horse off-roaders - Range Rover from LandRover Discovery/Defender or the original Jeep from the Cherokee. I remember the time when I started reading Indian Auto in the late 80s, the term SUV was still new and auto journalists used to treat it with the same disdain, we currently treat the word softroader.

Coming back to the topic : I think the Yeti designers are trying the 'neuter' the vehicle's character by making it more conservative. I preferr the current Yeti's aggressive front styling, including the over-sized fog lamps. The only thing that needed a tweak was the B and D pillars (and the invisible C pillar).
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The word 'Sport' in the acronym 'SUV' doesn't refer to the car's agility, nimbleness and punchy-characteristics when driven 'round a track or on tarmac. Tackling rough terrain, slush and mud, can also be considered a 'sport'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
the term SUV was coined to differentiate Off-roaders with 'panache' from work-horse off-roaders
Point taken!!!

The 'Sports' moniker of an automobile can either indicate its off-road credentials (SUV) or its on-road speed and handling (sports sedan) capabilities. It can also indicate the luxury / comfort level offered in that trim. But under no circumstance, can it refer to the ability to accommodate >5 people which is perhaps the single biggest reason for the Yeti's lack luster sales performance in this country. A microcosm of that fact is this very thread itself, if one were to simply count the number of times the Yeti has been accused of being short of an SUV just for its size alone.

As for me, the present Yeti is a far more practical urban commuter than it would have been if it were over sized. It has an optimal balance of highway dynamics and off-road abilities that a family of 4 needs for heading out of town to the wilderness on long weekends and vacations. The Mission-L language, though striking, fails to deliver a distinct identity to the brand. It is just too heavily inspired by VW design. Though a face lift is welcome, I would have liked if the new version would have looked every bit a 'Skoda'. The only thing I would have wished for in the current Yeti, is a DSG gearbox and may be the projector head lamps. And yes, I seriously miss the bouquet of accessories that are on offer for the Yeti in other markets

I would sincerely hope that the product in this picture is a separate model and the size (and even the form) and the 'sports' balance of the current Yeti is not tampered with...
xplorauto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:19   #41
BHPian

I think 'sports utility vehicle' is not necessarily about the vehicle itself but about the utility, pushed and marketed more as a lifestyle kind of thing for someone with a 'sporty' lifestyle, as in you can carry your surfboards, canoes, go outdoors etc.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 00:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

Attachment 964589
Another speculative version from briskskoda.net
Attached Thumbnails
New Skoda YETI concept - anyone interested?-yeti2013.jpg  

Old 6th August 2012, 01:57   #43
BHPian

The Yeti looks more civilized and upmarket with the new front face. IMO, stretching the car will rob it of the compact urban SUV tag. Not sure if they creating space for the Fabia Scout to debut.
Old 6th August 2012, 07:23   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

All the Auto mags that I generally read are carrying details of the Skoda new design language in their June and July editions.
ACI, AutoBild, TopGear etc.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

The longer wheelbase version of Yeti that was planned for China, is being road tested in the country. Here is Motorbash article on the sighting of LWB Yeti:

http://motorbash.com/a-longer-skoda-...ting-in-china/

I wish they plan a LWB Yeti for India as well with the same 2L Diesel & 3rd row seats, but not at exorbitant prices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks