Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 07:44   #1
BANNED

Steve Jobs got a new SL55 AMG every 6 months! Here's why..

Source from Yahoo:

Quote:
"The multitude of mysteries revealed following the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' death now includes one that puzzled car enthusiasts for years: How did Jobs get away with driving without a license plate? It was common knowledge that Jobs would park his Mercedes SL55 AMG in a handicapped spot at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters, with nothing to identify his vehicle other than the tiny barcode that usually rests behind the rear license plate. According to Walter Isaacson's new biography, Jobs wanted to avoid having a plate for privacy reasons; and yet when having a license-less silver Mercedes became a kind of trademark, Jobs kept motoring without one "because I don't."

For years, rumors swirled that Jobs had either won a special dispensation from California authorities or was just daring police to stop him. While the why remains somewhat cloudy, an interview by ITWire with a former Apple security executive reveals the real reason: a little-known loophole in California vehicle laws that gives owners up to six months to get plates for their vehicles.

According to Jon Callas, now chief technical officer of Entrust, Jobs would arrange with his vehicle leasing company to switch out his silver Mercedes every six months with a new, identical model — just another of the complicated and expensive ways Jobs thought differently."
His money, his choice. But what a moron. The more you read about Steve Jobs, the more the idiot part of his persona is apparent.

I thought he had a thing for Lamborghinis as I saw him once in a white Diablo once in the Silicon Valley. I wasn't surprised it was White, I was surprised it was a Lambo. Before I saw him I thought he drove something green, (assumed he was a hippie ) . How wrong I was!

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th October 2011 at 14:01. Reason: Put the news article in quote. Thanks
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 08:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Steve Jobs got a new SL55 AMG every 6 months! Here's why..

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
His money, his choice. But what a moron. !
Come on!! he did not break any law, leave him
Old 28th October 2011, 09:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow! A new SL55 AMG every 6 months! I agree that he is fully entitled to do whatever he wants with his own money, but isn't this a way too expensive method of guarding one's privacy? Anyways, if this is true, then he had lived his life to his heart's content. Now I know why all the new products from Apple cost a bomb to buy.
Old 28th October 2011, 09:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
His money, his choice.
With his fortune, Jobs could buy SL55 AMG everyday for rest his life. But what is the use of that fortune now for him - he is dead. Glad that he could afford to live the way he wanted.
Old 28th October 2011, 09:32   #5
BHPian

Common guys. Leave him alone

Isn't it all relative. A 10 lakh car for many of us maybe a luxury car. A 10 lakh car for VJM is a cheap car. So concluding that its an expensive way to guard ones privacy is still debatable. With his fortune, an SL55 AMG every 6 months is like us buying a car every 50 years Cheers.
Old 28th October 2011, 09:48   #6
BHPian

Guarding one's privacy??- don't know if you can put a price to that- we know what extent the paparazzi can go to. e.g. Princess Diana.
Leave him in peace Guys.
regards
salil
Old 28th October 2011, 09:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
But what a moron.
Harsh words dude. Your words smack of conceit.

He may not actually be buying a new car every six months.
Old 28th October 2011, 10:01   #8
BHPian

He didn't exactly BUY a car every six months. He leased them. Apparently the agreement stated that he would be issued a new car every six months. There's a difference, no?

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st October 2011 at 06:44. Reason: True point - title edited to reflect the same. Thanks.
MalluDude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 10:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

moron?
why?
Quite the reverse, if anything else.
He knew what he wanted to do, and found a legal way to do it.

Define the idiocy in this action pliss?

I'd love to be such a moron!
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 12:05   #10
BHPian

Nothing moronic about it.
He probably worked out with his tax adviser that it might even have been easier on his taxes to lease a new car every six months.

I know someone who works for GM Canada in a mid-to-high executive position. He's allowed to get a new GM car/SUV every six months, and the previous one goes back to the company (don't know what they use it for though!). However, his state requires the car to have a licence plate!
Old 28th October 2011, 12:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

I think it was a pretty cool way to guard his privacy – and that too within the parameters of the law. What’s so moronic about it?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 13:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Source from Yahoo:

His money, his choice. But what a moron. The more you read about Steve Jobs, the more the idiot part of his persona is apparent.

I thought he had a thing for Lamborghinis as I saw him once in a white Diablo once in the Silicon Valley. I wasn't surprised it was White, I was surprised it was a Lambo. Before I saw him I thought he drove something green, (assumed he was a hippie ) . How wrong I was!
Well this Idiot part of the persona helped him change the following
- the way we communicate
- the way we work
- the way technology positively influences our life

And if I am not wrong this Idiot part of the persona made him one of the most influentially brilliant minds of the 20th Century.

Cheers,
ac
Old 28th October 2011, 13:54   #13
BHPian

Dude, looks like you were not very satisfied with one the i-products you bought. Why on earth would the fact that how he chose to spend his personal fortune, on his toys, make one use such strong words, especially after his death?

Last edited by SilkDrive : 28th October 2011 at 13:55.
Old 28th October 2011, 14:09   #14
BHPian

I am sure there are reason more than simply protecting one's privacy in this manner. In fact having no plates can expose him even more since a car without it is more easy to spot when all other cars around U have plates on them. There has to be something more than privacy alone, tax saving seems to be a bigger criterion here. Companies do this here also. It helps them claim a higher depreciation each year.
Old 28th October 2011, 14:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Genius people have their own way of working, he was a man with an innovative mind, but lets not go deeper into his personal life. Let us remember him for his contribution.

By the way, when he got a new Merc, what did he do with the one he was driving for 6 months before?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks