Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 11:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil

That is what beats me. The reported speeds are just 140 KMPH, I am not sure how such speed did so much damage!!
Just shows why almost anywhere in the US or the UK, speed limits are 70 mph (112 kmph) or less. 140 kmph is an extremely high speed, and those of us who drive at that or more pose a major danger to ourselves and other road users.

Remember that when you stop in a given distance, the deceleration is proportional to the square of your initial velocity, viz the g forces at 144 kmph are twice those at 100 kmph, and 50% more than those at 120 kmph.

The problem in India is that speed limits are insanely low, and hence people lose all respect for the law and speed limits
Old 6th December 2011, 11:48   #17
BHPian

Re: Massive Supercar Pile-Up in Japan - 8 Ferraris, 3 Merc, a Lambo and a GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
That is what beats me. The reported speeds are just 140 KMPH, I am not sure how such speed did so much damage!!
The vehicle bodies are built for reduced weight and 140kmph is fast enough to cause such destruction. Think Maruti .

Does anyone have a clue of which Mercedes vehicles were involved?

I'm not sure of how the insurance system works in Japan, but in the UAE the owner pays an equivalent of Rs.6,750/- if he or she is at fault or nothing if the accident wasn't his or her fault, though the policies terms can be different for sport vehicles. In India, the customer would have to pay a certain percentage based on whether the replacement parts are plastic or metal and usually doesn't even need a report of the accident from the police.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

holy Mother of God!! what in the world!

yep, that's what my reaction was when i opened the TOI and saw the news of the $4million crash! they said there was a F430 Scuderia capable of doing 320kmph.

btw, i've a question though - will insurance cover the damages?
Old 6th December 2011, 12:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anil, 140 kmh is insane speed. Agreed, these machines are capable of doing twice that speed. All it takes, is one error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Logically, it should. Right? I mean, after all, this was an accident like any other. Just that the vehciles involved are of high value.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Logically, it should. Right? I mean, after all, this was an accident like any other. Just that the vehciles involved are of high value.
yes, but won't there be a clause causing the insurance to be null and void if the car encountered an accident due to speeding?
Old 6th December 2011, 13:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Because the vehicle is meant to be damaged 'as much as possible'. HowStuffWorks "Preventing Fatalities in Auto Racing"
trakesht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 13:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Japan just cannot get rid of their problems. First the Hirosima-Nagasaki, then the tsunami and then this.

I guess most of the Ferraris involved in the crash are out of production so that is double sad news for the owners.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The reported speeds are just 140 KMPH, I am not sure how such speed did so much damage!!
Pedestrian safety, aerodynamics, light body parts.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 13:29   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Quote:
yes, but won't there be a clause causing the insurance to be null and void if the car encountered an accident due to speeding?
I'm sure they paid the insurance company a hefty sum while buying the car in the first place. Insurance for such cars isn't cheap. Plus, it isn't easy getting an insurance policy in some countries. The agents come to your house and make a thorough analysis of you, your driving pattern, your accident records, your age (the younger, the more expensive), etc. and if you've been a good boy (), they wouldn't charge you a bomb. Of course, again it depends on the car too.

A family hatch like the Fiesta wouldn't be much, but a car with a 'hot' status like the Mitsubishi EVO or a Ford Focus RS for example, will attract a huge insurance premium. It just goes northward as the cars get faster and more expensive.

Some companies charge owners of such cars the same amount as the cars itself, in the UK, for example.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:34   #25
BHPian

IMO, the speeding must have been much more than 140kmph. I used do a 100mph comfortably on a chevy Impala and that is NOT insame speed. I agree that these cars are made of light materials, but they are strong materials as well. Considering that so many cars were involved in the crash, there are only two reasons how this could have happened

1. They are travelling fast (lets assume 140 kmph),the leading guy loses control, others are tailgating pretty close and couldn't brake quickly enough, which led to this disaster.

2. They are travelling really FAST (close to 200 kmph??) and this happens.

I pity the insurance guys. It's payback time
Old 6th December 2011, 22:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nothing compares to this 52 car pile up on an autobahn in Germany due to poor visibility.
Three killed in huge 52-vehicle crash on the German autobahn in thick fog | Mail Online

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks