Team-BHP - Honda destroys flood-damaged cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Honda destroys flood-damaged cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/113252-honda-destroys-flood-damaged-cars.html)

Honda is scrapping more than 1,000 cars damaged in Thailand's massive flooding. Lindsey Parietti reports.
Source: Reuters/Yahoo

Honda destroys flood-damaged cars - Yahoo!

How will Honda be able to cover up these losses?

Possibly they'll soon end up as Rs 8 lakh cars on our streets with no warranty or explanation as to its origin. More positive is the possible imports as scrap for parts which can be salvaged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basky (Post 2625057)
Possibly they'll soon end up as Rs 8 lakh cars on our streets with no warranty or explanation as to its origin. More positive is the possible imports as scrap for parts which can be salvaged.

take a look at the video first.
These specs dont work for our market.
As far as i can see interior space has taken quite a hit.

Quote:

Huh?! I don't quite understand.

Honda has mentioned that they are scrapping (=destroying) the flood-affected cars. You can see pics in the thread I mentioned in the earlier post.

So, question of the cars/parts finding their way some where doesn't arise.

Look at the double standards of dealers here. Last monsoon lots of Honda City's were submerged due to heavy rains at their stockyards on the outskirts of Mumbai & Pune. They all have found homes with their unsuspecting owners here.

Cheers

Good move, just as any responsible manufacturer would do.

It might be recollected that Mazda took the extremely commendable & brave decision of destroying 4,700 cars which were damaged on ship. A good part of the inventory was actually good to hit the block, but Mazda decided to be safe than sorry. Truly, a pat on the back to their management.

If you haven't already, this fascinating story & pictures source is a MUST-READ:

Honda destroys flood-damaged cars-1.jpg

Honda destroys flood-damaged cars-2.jpg

Good decision – as expected from Honda!

Quote:

What you mean? My understanding of scrapping is to destroy the impacted cars. You even managed to put a price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2625359)
Good decision – as expected from Honda!

What you mean? My understanding of scrapping is to destroy the impacted cars. You even managed to put a price!

It seems you are unaware of the thread by name "Surplus cars for Sale" which is also put on front page. Just go through it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carwatcher (Post 2625407)
It seems you are unaware of the thread by name "Surplus cars for Sale" which is also put on front page. Just go through it.

You cant connect the "surplus car sale" with this. the front page thread might relate to a specific dealer whose (small) lot got flooded in India. Also had Honda been doing this then there would have been lots of many dealers or broker offering such deals
The company renowned for reliable product won't be doing such wicked act staking its reputation. When every manufacturer is struggling with roll backs and voluntary replacements it would be stupid to do so as delinquent act.

Impressive. Nice gesture by Honda which establishes their "caring for customers" image.

On a lighter note, what is more impressive is how Honda made sure that the act gets enough publicity. The goodwill generated is worth much more than the money lost on those cars. In fact, it would have taken quite a few millions of dollars in advertising budget to build/reinforce the image that they have managed with this act.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carwatcher (Post 2625407)

I am aware of that thread. What is the similarity here – a manufacturer scrapping flood-damaged cars V/S some private party selling registered cars for a discounted price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2625490)
I am aware of that thread. What is the similarity here – a manufacturer scrapping flood-damaged cars V/S some private party selling registered cars for a discounted price?

At some point on the "surplus car sale" thread, it was speculated that these might be the Honda cars which were flood-damaged in Thailand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2625490)

My reply was just to highlight the source from where the price of 8 Lacs has been arrived.
Also as already mentioned in the previous post, it was also discussed as to the cars offered are Thailand affected or India flood affected.

Objectively speaking, I don't think Honda has made a huge loss out of the whole flood-damaged cars-destruction. On some level, all the inventory is insured, right?

So, I think Insurance would have softened the hit for Honda.

Having said this, I commend Honda for ensuring the flood-damaged cars don't see the road.

OT :

I remember Nissan's factories were also submerged during the floods; any news on how they are planning to go about those cars?

Good. They are doing their bit rather than try to fix and flog them.