Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2006, 01:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Sonata sales in Canada up 333%!

The new Hyundai Sonata sales are zooming in Canada. auto123.com reports that Sonata sales in 2006 are up 333% compared to 2005! Hyundai has a 4.1% market share and is now Canada's seventh largest car maker.

Sales figures of other cars are also here. Sorry no links, I am writing from a paper.

Sales for Jan 2006 / Jan 2005

Honda Accord 788 / 895
Toyota Camry 765 / 1009
Nissan Altima 706 / 907
VW Jetta 1,166 / 606
Suburu Impreza 273 / 349
Chevy Malibu 999 / 915
New Sonata 650 / 150

A quote from the article

Quote:
Our long-term Sonata GLS V6 certainly hasn't lost its halo, still performing flawlessly, but not to the point of being boring. OK, it's boring from a reliability standpoint. Nothing goes wrong so there's nothing to talk about. And in case you were thinking that all new cars are dependable, we have a smart fortwo this week that won't start half the time (more on this in the logs), had a Saab 9-3 two weeks ago that simply died on the side of the road (again more in the logs), and a MINI Cooper S a number of weeks before that which kept dying as it was being driven (ditto) - fortunately it would start up again, and continue on.
Old 18th March 2006, 01:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
The new Hyundai Sonata sales are zooming in Canada. auto123.com reports that Sonata sales in 2006 are up 333% compared to 2005! Hyundai has a 4.1% market share and is now Canada's seventh largest car maker.

Sales figures of other cars are also here. Sorry no links, I am writing from a paper.

Sales for Jan 2006 / Jan 2005

Honda Accord 788 / 895
Toyota Camry 765 / 1009
Nissan Altima 706 / 907
VW Jetta 1,166 / 606
Suburu Impreza 273 / 349
Chevy Malibu 999 / 915
New Sonata 650 / 150

A quote from the article
wow they sell malibu the most ...eeewwwhhhh!!! thats one ugly a$$ car..
Old 18th March 2006, 01:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow they sell malibu the most
I am not sure if the Malibu sales are for units sold to private buyers. From the numbers sold, I am guessing it must include fleet sales . And I haven't seen a rental Sonata yet so the Sonata numbers should be mainly to private buyers. The new Accent on the other hand is a rental company favourite.
Old 18th March 2006, 02:46   #4
BHPian

I like the new Sonata. Hyundai has come a long way.
Old 18th March 2006, 03:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its the marvel of the Theta engine humming under the bonnet.

But its not Malibu that sell the highest. I see the number to be Wolkswagon Jetta. The new look looks different. But I didnt know its a favouraite among buyers.
Old 18th March 2006, 07:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new look looks different. But I didnt know its a favouraite among buyers.
What I have noticed is that owners of VW Jetta hate the new Jetta looks outright. They agree that the MK IV Jetta was absolutely cramped but still love it and I agree with them. The last Jetta looked very German, it had that distinctive European look about it. The new one is kinda any car on the roads. The front and 3/4 rear are the most flattering but the rear looks totally like the Corolla. BUT, non VW owners just love the new Jetta. They see the value in terms of space and practicality.

If we do % changes in the sales figures of the cars, it throws up interesting results:

Honda Accord -11.96%
Toyota Camry - 24.19%
Nissan Altima -22.17%
VW Jetta 2.5L + 92.40%
Suburu Impreza -21.78%
Hyundai Sonata +333%

No wonder Nissan is advertising $2,000 cash back on all Altima's for a 'limited time'.

Camry sales should be up this month thanks to the new 2007 model.

I don't know why Altima and Accord sales are down. Accord was given a makeover few months back in the form of a new rear with LED tail lights, so I really wonder why Accord is down.

Last edited by amit : 18th March 2006 at 08:00.
Old 18th March 2006, 16:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

These're just numbers.

If u notice, Sonata is still the least selling (650 units) leaving alone the Impreza which honestly is a pure performance sedan and cannot be included in the comparison.
Old 18th March 2006, 22:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If u notice, Sonata is still the least selling (650 units)
I agree nitrous but Hyundai is just beginning to be taken seriously over here. The biggest problem Hyundai's face here is absolutely pathetic resale values and of course the Korean badge. Thanks to new cars like the Sonata, Azera, Entourage the korean badging is getting more and more acceptable and I am sure resale values will also improve with time. But, the figures make it obvious that Sonata has dented Accord and Camry sales and its not just because it's cheaper with more standard stuff then the Japanese cars. It is because the car has gotten better to drive too and quality and reliablity is second to none, in fact, better then European cars. Yes, there aren't as much electronics but still .....

In fact, I am dealing with a guy who has always owned European and premium Japanese cars and we got talking about how European cars have electronic glitches and to top it customer service is the pits. This guy has owned a couple of VW's, a Acura TSX, and now has a Mini Cooper S that he intends to trade in for the new GTI. The cars he has owned makes it clear where he is coming from. He said his aunt was buying a new car and like any North American was looking at the Accord and Camry. Ultimately she bought the Sonata and loves it. He got around to driving it one day and he said he absolutely loved the car and the way it drove. It wasn't bad to drive and quality was right up there with the Japs.

Yes in absolute numbers the Sonata is still the lowest selling but it's catching up and how. Of course, Honda and Toyota aren't going to sit quiet but I'd say Sonata has grown up and Hyundai is ready to play with the big boys.
Old 18th March 2006, 23:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Even the new Azera is better looking. I dunno how it performing in the market though. I have just seen it and it looks good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks