Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 17:28   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW's new torque monster: 3.0L I-6 tri turbo diesel, 381 hp, 740 NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Nothing...i mean NOTHING will and can make me change my judgement of Mercs. I have myself admitted to have an irrational and blind hatred towards Mercs. Nothing , right from their design language to their interior layout etc excites me to any level. I literally hate it.
AMGs are worthy competitors to Audi RS and BMW M and fast cars ofcourse , no questions asked but that does not in anyway get them any admiration from me. I hate them. Period.
Its best to quit trying to change my perception of Mercs because like i mentioned before, its almost irrational.
I get that. I feel the same about Audi. Atleast there is a common admiration for the bimmers.
Old 29th January 2012, 19:44   #32
BHPian

Wow ! I have always worshiped the oil burners especially for their torque and the power feedback that is transferred immediately to the driver. I am way too happy to see the //M Diesel range. Audi now have some serious competition in the diesel racers.
Old 12th February 2012, 13:16   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
The M performance is more of a sub division of the M brand, please do not confuse these with the cars like M5 etc.
Just to get my understanding correct - is it right to say that the M performance is more like the Audi S-line?
Old 12th February 2012, 14:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yes,

Just like how Audi has A / S and RS, think of M performance cars as something like the S range of cars from Audi,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just to get my understanding correct - is it right to say that the M performance is more like the Audi S-line?
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 16:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just to further clarify, there is a difference between Audi S & Audi S-Line.
S-Line cars are packed with every gadget and goody offered on the specific model including the best upholstery,subtle body kit,different steering etc. Plenty of S-line spec Q7s are seen around.
S cars however, (Audi S5,S8 etc) are Audi's mid-performance cars between the A-range and the RS-range. I dont think any Audi S car was seen in India before the Audi S6 launch at the expo this year. The Audi S8 recently took over the mantle of the fastest luxo sedan in the world from the S 65 AMG. The hierarchy goes somewhat like this -
The normal Audi A6,lets say 3.0 TDi (s-line or no s-line) is a rival to the BMW 530d
The Audi S6 would be a rival to the BMW 550i equivalent.
& finally the yet to be launched Audi RS-6 would be a rival to the f10 BMW M5.
IIRC Audi RS cars are manufactured at a separate facility by Quattro GmbH.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 12th February 2012 at 16:44.
Old 12th February 2012, 18:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
The Audi S8 recently took over the mantle of the fastest luxo sedan in the world from the S 65 AMG. Quattro GmbH.
On paper yes S8 is the fastest but keeping the S65 AMG aside, which is a pointless car that exists for all the right reasons a lot of reviews between the S8 and S63 AMG which now use the new 5.5 block have pretty much beaten it fair and square,

Not saying reviews matter as each has an individual opinion but just stating the car has not really set much on fire like on paper it sounded,

Regards,
Old 12th February 2012, 22:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
On paper yes S8 is the fastest but keeping the S65 AMG aside, which is a pointless car that exists for all the right reasons a lot of reviews between the S8 and S63 AMG which now use the new 5.5 block have pretty much beaten it fair and square,

Not saying reviews matter as each has an individual opinion but just stating the car has not really set much on fire like on paper it sounded,

Regards,
Ofcourse.
Infact it hardly created a stir since its more or less pointless. All these super huge ,super fast luxo limos for that matter be it Merc or Audi.
Just stating facts thats all

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 12th February 2012 at 22:45.
Old 13th February 2012, 23:44   #38
BHPian

IMO, when one reaches a stage to afford a car like S8 or a S65 AMG, a decision has already been made and the performance numbers wont really matter to the buyer!

I doubt if the M diesels will hit US shores since Audi v10 TDi never did!
Old 27th February 2012, 05:18   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

M5 touchdown:

Diesel m5 touchdown:

Ignore the idle clatter and this is the best sounding diesel in the world. Considering its almost as quick as the m5 and 20% cheaper, its a winner !
Old 27th February 2012, 09:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Just look at the fuel consumption numbers! They are unreal. A 5-litre mill with such efficiency!
In comparison, a Nissan Sunny, which is an economy sedan, needs about 6.3L (petrol)/100 km and takes all of the 15 sec. for 0-100 km/hr, giving you less than 100 hp and 134Nm. It makes you wonder how much more BMW must be spending on its research.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Ignore the idle clatter and this is the best sounding diesel in the world.
Sahil,

This is probably the sweetest and most free revving diesel on the planet if it is indeed a diesel.

Given the long stroke requirements of Diesel I have never , let me repeat I have never seen a diesel rev beyond 4.5k to 5k (I had the luxury of traveling in UK with my colleagues in different cars with CRDi hearts)

Looks like BMW is taking its diesel technology to new levels

And thanks for sharing..
Old 27th February 2012, 10:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Ignore the idle clatter and this is the best sounding diesel in the world. Considering its almost as quick as the m5 and 20% cheaper, its a winner !
These new age diesels come with sound actuators which makes their notes sound similar to petrols albeit with a deep rumble.
I like where this is going !! I really do
At this rate pretty soon we will have THE perfect substitutes for high performance petrols and going by the quality of gasoline on our shores, we seem to be approaching Utopia !
Old 27th February 2012, 11:07   #43
BHPian

Good lord! does she sound biblical or what! A diesel sounding so sweet! I am impressed.
Who would think of something like slapping 3 turbos on a straight six.
I love VW/Audi diesels but I love these guys stubbornness in sticking to an inline configuration and then slapping 3 turbos!
From whatever limited knowledge I have, the only way you can have 3 turbos on an inline engine is sequentially.Correct me if I am wrong.
Just imagine the complexity of such a situation!
Old 27th February 2012, 12:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Good lord! does she sound biblical or what! A diesel sounding so sweet! I am impressed.
Who would think of something like slapping 3 turbos on a straight six.
I love VW/Audi diesels but I love these guys stubbornness in sticking to an inline configuration and then slapping 3 turbos!
From whatever limited knowledge I have, the only way you can have 3 turbos on an inline engine is sequentially.Correct me if I am wrong.
Just imagine the complexity of such a situation!
Sequential is the only way to go with this engine.Unlike most diesels, which have staged turbo.
As far as i know this engine has 3 individual turbo chargers, powered by the exhaust gases of every pair of cylinders. The other possible configuration would be two individual turbos for every 3 cylinders and one electrically powered unit, but that would be a supercharger since it is not powered by exhaust gases. however, the latter configuration is much less likely for this motor since BMW has stated it as a tri- turbo and they have never been a fan of superchargers.
But one can only imagine the complexity underneath that hood.

BTW, Like everyone else said.. it is probably the most amazing sounding diesel engine.

Last edited by Mike89 : 27th February 2012 at 12:52.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:17   #45
BHPian

Too bad the Tri-Turbo's are not coming to US. Except for the initial turbo lag, I love the X5 35D, its absolutely amazing to drive. I believe the 265 HP twin turbo is the most powerful diesel engine among the German counterparts in US and ironic thing is its the most fuel efficient as well. I'm amazed at that video with that torque at RPM's around 7K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks