BHPian

Re: BMW's new torque monster: 3.0L I-6 tri turbo diesel, 381 hp, 740 NM

Triple turbochargers explained.

Old 28th February 2012, 03:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ
Mouthwatering specifications.

Finally the great "M" gets a diesel heart! Would love to feel the torque steer induced by 740 Nm!
Can torque steer also be felt on RWD cars? And how about AWD like the x-drive? I thought torque steer will only be a characteristic of a front wheel drive car. Could someone help?
Old 28th February 2012, 07:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Can torque steer also be felt on RWD cars? And how about AWD like the x-drive? I thought torque steer will only be a characteristic of a front wheel drive car. Could someone help?
As far as I know torque steer issue is a problem with FWD based cars. There are no torque steer issues in BMW xDrive systems.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:26   #49
BHPian

Wondering if any more info is available on possible launch dates of the M diesels in India.
Read on the forum that the premium version of the new 3,specifically 325i,may come in as CBU's.
With possible duty reductions on the CBU's,are we likely to see the M diesels hitting India anytime soon?
Read a review on the Audi RS5 which guzzled 30k worth of 97 octane in 1800km @ 4km per liter,if not for that drinking binge,would really be tempted to give the car a shot.
Waiting for a suitable BMW to replace the one I have,is really trying my patience!
Come on BMW,have a heart,spread a little joy.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:38   #50
BHPian

Speaking of turbos, look at the new M135i Turbo Hatch 320 HP RWD launching next month in Geneva Auto show coming out from the same factory where the new M diesels are made. Not sure if this is posted earlier here...

Source: M135i turbo 3-door set for Geneva | BMW Car Club News | bmwcca.org BMW Car Club of America
Old 28th February 2012, 11:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Speaking of turbos, look at the new M135i Turbo Hatch 320 HP RWD launching next month in Geneva Auto show coming out from the same factory where the new M diesels are made. Not sure if this is posted earlier here...

Source: M135i turbo 3-door set for Geneva | BMW Car Club News | bmwcca.org BMW Car Club of America
This is more or less the exact same N55 twin turbo engine found in 335i,z4,535i but with M components. Its not a complaint in any way, It is one of the best motors found in bmws.

Last edited by Mike89 : 28th February 2012 at 11:24.
Old 29th February 2012, 01:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The prayers have been finally answered!

The M550d would be a wonderful addition to BMW's portfolio. I'd love to see this introduced in India, sooner rather than later. Having said that, it would be interesting to see how potential customers see this, especially when parked next to the new M5.
In India, this diesel M550d will sell twice or thrice the number of the turbocharged V8 petrol M5.

OT: The 'M','550' and the engine specs are gonna get Arka all charged up about this engine.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:42   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Read some sad news, the M550d will NEVER make it to India or for that matter any country that is RHD because the four wheel drive system causes an obstruction to producing this car in RHD. BMW refuses to make this car without the AWD.
However, the ///M Diesel engine could make it to India under the skin of the x5 or x6.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 03:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Read some sad news, the M550d will NEVER make it to India or for that matter any country that is RHD because the four wheel drive system causes an obstruction to producing this car in RHD. BMW refuses to make this car without the AWD.
However, the ///M Diesel engine could make it to India under the skin of the x5 or x6.
That's strange. I'm not a technical guy buy the X5 and X6 has an xDrive system as well but not sure how different will the design be in a Car! That will be a disappointment for many countries with RHD and also it would never to US for emission norms.
Old 3rd March 2012, 06:26   #55
BHPian

Top Gear review of the M550d provides the info of non availability of M550d in rhd markets, link below:
BMW 5 Series M550d xDrive driven full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

Relevant passage with due acknowledgement to TOP GEAR:
If, like an optimistic fisherman, you've got the feeling there's a massive catch on the way, you're right. But only if you live in the UK. Or Japan. Or Australia. Or Lincolnshire. Or any other country that drives on the left. Because, if you do, you can't have the M550d: at least, not with the wheel where it should be. BMW says the four-wheel drive system gets in the way of flipping the steering wheel from left to right, so it'll only be offering the 550d in left-hand drive markets.

The lovely tri-turbo engine will reach countries that drive on the correct side, but only under the bonnet of the X5 and X6. This is scant consolation. We suggested to the BMW engineers that the solution was to make a rear-drive M550d. They disagreed. So Top Gear has decided there is only one solution: we are decamping en masse to Germany. OK, we don't speak the language, but Google Translate is pretty infalliable, right? Steigen Sie an Bord unserer erotischen Vergnügen Auto!

Error in the first para,(wish it was not)! Should have read as
"Or any other country that drives on the right."
Hope there is a way around the issue,as I read somewhere that the M500d may be offered here as a rear wheel drive only,to resolve the steeringissue.Again,unlikely,looking at para 2 above.
Just guessing,but with such insane levels of power on tap,maybe the car needs the X-drive to keep it pointed in the right direction,so who knows.
If anyone has any info on possible India launches of the M550 versions of the X5 and X6,please do share.
Cheers.
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
Just guessing,but with such insane levels of power on tap,maybe the car needs the X-drive to keep it pointed in the right direction,so who knows.
If anyone has any info on possible India launches of the M550 versions of the X5 and X6,please do share.
Cheers.

NO authentic info here at the moment but IF ATALL, i would expect BMW to get the tri-turbo diesels in the X5 and X6 in sync with Audi's launch of the A6/A7 Bi-turbo sometime Q1-Q2 next year.
As of now, India will get the Bi-turbo sedan and sportback from the Audi stable so BMW could be expected to have the 2 diesel brutes ready for launch.
Fingers crossed.
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:07   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
That is just like the other cars of BMW. I don't think they make any xdrive sedans in RHD configuration. Even Merc doesn't make 4matic sedans in RHD configurations, the reason being that the engineering cost of adjusting the 4matic system to RHD would not be justified by the amount of sales. Same logic for BMW I guess. Suvs are much bigger so it gives them much more room to play around with, so mating their AWD systems to RHD is probably much easier.

I don't see why a rear while drive won't happen, I mean the M5 with all its power and almost as much torque is rear wheel drive. This will be one idiotically fun sedan with rear wheel drive.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 3rd March 2012 at 19:08.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:28   #58
BHPian

Mercedes had a similar issue with the W124 500E.
It was hand built by Porsche (under contract), an E-Class body with a 5 Litre engine. One of the best sleeper cars ever made (in my opinion).
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

I don't see why a rear while drive won't happen, I mean the M5 with all its power and almost as much torque is rear wheel drive. This will be one idiotically fun sedan with rear wheel drive.

RWD wont happen for the simple reason that BMW have completely ruled it out as of now. They said in a press statement that M550d RWD is not happening.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Not trying to put anyone down or say anyone is wrong, Perhaps I am the only wrong person but here's some points,

I am told M550d (RWD) WILL come to RHD markets,
BMW using it's AWD and Torque is only marketing talks, there are cars with lot more torque and they do perfect with just RWD,
Demand will be the key here,
Adding Xdrive is more of a value perception also to convince the buyers they get more, The market for this car in EU is a lot different to those buying the real M5.

Like I said car I have been told is coming, Personally know of where the prototypes are, and until we get confirmation from BMW lets try not get into speculations only because some big auto magazines said so, lets not forget how many times they have been wrong,

Like I said maybe I am wrong, so do not hold your purchase or go by me and my statements, but I know its coming, unless these cars do not do well in their original form,

Regards,

P.S Just an Example, S65 AMG is 1000nm, E63 AMG PP is 800 nm (approx) All RWD's and a lot more,

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 4th March 2012 at 12:28.
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks