Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Is TATA not serious about foreign markets?

A quick glance of the TATA motors websites in Spain and South Africa will tell you that TM isn't selling the much praised Manza and Aria in either of the two markets. Furthermore, South Africa still gets the first generation Indigo and Indigo marinas, products which were frankly outdated the day they were launched. This begs the question, is TATA motors not serious about export markets?
Old 27th January 2012, 13:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Is TATA not serious about foreign markets?

Is Tata serious about Indian market first?

It's been more than a year since I opened the below thread, the situation hasn't changed yet.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-thinking.html
Old 27th January 2012, 13:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Probably, they don't want to spoil the name of JLR so they must be soft pedaling the export business (lest JLR get a bad image). BTW is City Rover being sold still in the UK?
Old 27th January 2012, 15:07   #4
BANNED

@DD; They burnt their fingers when the Indica was badged as a Rover in the UK. This was the Mk.I days.

Definitely, better than HM's attempt to flog the Amby there. The least damaging commend was that to stop it on a Motorway you needed a Parachute and an Anchor!! I wondered how would it reach 70mph the speed limit let along 80-85 which was the usual cruising speed.
Old 27th January 2012, 17:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@DD; They burnt their fingers when the Indica was badged as a Rover in the UK. This was the Mk.I days.
I'm afraid that's not correct. Tata had got an order for exporting 1,00,000 cars but the UK importer went bust not long after the commencement of initial deliveries. True, the initial response wasn't very good but it had more to do with the car's pricing. The UK importer had overpriced the car in order to make a hefty profit, something that Tata wasn't happy with but could do nothing about. Tata was about to introduce an improved version (with some 40-odd improvements) when the importer went into liquidation and was bought by the Chinese. The car would have sold more had it been priced competitively and if the UK importer had survived. Tata was merely the contract manufacturer for Cityrover.

Quote:
Definitely, better than HM's attempt to flog the Amby there.
It is unfair to compare the 1 lac export order for Indicas to the token export of a few Ambassadors now and then by HM for English classic car lovers.

Quote:
The least damaging commend was that to stop it on a Motorway you needed a Parachute and an Anchor!! I wondered how would it reach 70mph the speed limit let along 80-85 which was the usual cruising speed.
I wonder where you got that information from. Cityrover developed 85 BHP (same as Indian petrol Indigo) and Britishers were more than happy with its performance (as also its looks). Tata only exported the petrol model, that too in a different state of tune, considering that petrol Indicas of that time in India developed 75 BHP only. The 53.5 BHP diesel version which was responsible for 95% of Indian sales at that time wasn't exported at all.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tata = a bad joke in South Africa...

Not only cars, but even trucks are so badly supported 'AFM' wise, that they are the worst priced in used markets!! My FIL said there is a MEGA size compound which sells dirt cheap used tata products - ALL!!

People are ashamed to be seen around in a TATA... from my FIL's FB page

Is TATA not serious about foreign markets?-tata-sa.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 19:59   #7
BANNED

What's the point of going foreign if JLR is bringing in cash from there? (Kudos to them on JLR though, it's doing much better now).

What's the guarantee people will buy their cars abroad? They can't even build solid cars in India, and I'm pretty sure they figured out return on investment would be less than investment, if they enter foreign markets. LOL!
Old 27th January 2012, 20:53   #8
BHPian

Something that baffles me is instead of offering the almost ancient mk-1 indigo, why not the current generation manza? I am sure the car would greatly increase the reputation of the company in such markets. I firmly believe that the current gen vista and manza are ahead of quite ahead in quality terms compared to the suzukis.
Old 28th January 2012, 03:32   #9
BHPian

Tata should build cars to sell in developed Markets but not under the Tata brand name. The brand just doesn't sound right in English. Tata is too close to Ta Ta or Tatty. A better move would be to start from scratch with a new brand name or with an acquired one. If Tata could buy Triumph off BMW they would be on to a winner. People still get misty eyed about the brand in the Uk and USA and it says success in 1 word. Whether BMW would ever sell it is another question.

Then the key would be to pitch the brand below Jag but above Ford. emphasise performance and go after VW's Market. Design the cars in Britain under Jag not India to inspire confidence and then build models in Tata/ JLR plants all over the world.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tata Is Serious About South africa. found this news on internet

Four new Tatas coming to SA this year - IOL Motoring | IOL.co.za
Old 28th January 2012, 15:46   #11
BHPian

The TATA's have taken giant leaps in the automobile industry(example,the Aria) but their QC is simply pathetic I'm afraid.There are numerous threads that we see on Team-BHP about various niggles in TATA cars.I think they are better off getting their QC and build quality in order before moving into other markets big time.The Japanese in the 80's and early 90's and the Koreans(now) did/do it successfully because their cars are pretty reliable.I wish TATA emulates them in this regard!!
Old 28th January 2012, 17:04   #12
BHPian

I can understand the tatas taking the aria now, but why does it take them so much time to launch the manza. Its been three years since they where introduced in India.

Another thing, 200 units a months. That more pathetic than Fiat in india. I am pretty sure South Africa would be a sizable market. 1000 units+ should be manageabl, I guess.
Old 29th January 2012, 20:40   #13

Foreign market homologation and safety requirements are stringent and Tata Motors first job is to get the cars they intend to sell up to the mark. Besides safety, there are other issues such as meeting emissions and fuel economy standards which are now country specific.
With the current global product assault led by Hyundai and Kia, Tata Motors chances of outright success is strictly limited to second or third tier markets for now. And then there's the upcoming Chinese brands to contend with.
I'm not sure what Tata Motors' plans are in this respect. It will require vast amounts of investments and support of a rock solid team to achieve this goal. End of the day, it is doable, provided there's a will to go ahead!
Old 29th January 2012, 21:17   #14
BHPian

Tata failed big time in the Middle East. When I was in Saudi, TATA was considered to be usable for a year or so and thrash it off. Lastly I heard, may be a rumor, that the prince gave 100's of Tatas as gifts to the poor villagers there.

Last edited by Amartya : 30th January 2012 at 00:24. Reason: Minor typos fixed. Cheers.
Old 29th January 2012, 23:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Tata is doing good in South Africa. in south africa where the top selling car Toyota Hilux sells 37,876 units a year. tata sold 983 units of Xenon in 2011. ranked 80th In top 100 cars in South africa. here is the link

Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog » South Africa Full Year 2011: Toyota Hilux edges VW Polo Vivo out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks