Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2006, 04:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

interesting article.

AUTO SALES
One Car Buyer's Perspective
Published: March 19, 2006
By Rich Heintz

So you want to sell cars for a living? Recently I was reminded that there are almost as many different kinds of salespeople as there are cars on the lot. Here’s what I learned about the profession from a car buyer’s perspective.

Several months ago, my wife of 33 years uttered those dreaded words: “I want a change.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked in a panic. I knew from the sound of her voice this was a serious matter, one that was going to cost me dearly.

“I’m bored,” she confessed.

The dreaded B word. Of course, I understood where she was coming from. Driving a Toyota Corolla was one of the most boring experiences on the road. All the nondescript little car does is run and run and run. You don’t even get to know your mechanic.

Now Bev wanted something more lively. Something bright, something sporty, something cheery. Something . . . expensive?

I hoped not.

What exactly was she looking for?

“Something yellow.”

Continue reading the article here.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2006 at 00:31.
Old 22nd March 2006, 19:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bev could have liked a car based on her driving experience / other attributes. And then custom painted it yellow. The colour is one of the easiest things to change about a car. That way - she would have got the engineering with just the shade of yellow she wanted.

Quote:
So what kind of salesperson do you want to be? It’s probably best to try out a dealership for yourself as a potential customer. Does their approach to sales match your personal principles?
Quote:
That’s because today’s car shopper has to buy what you’re saying before they’ll buy what you’re selling.
Applies to almost each industry. As a customer, and as an employee.

Nice reading. Thanks for sharing.

GTO
Old 22nd March 2006, 23:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

yellow is ok but what with side airbags. What has airbags to do with excitement in a car?

and its not just any yellow on top of that.
Old 31st March 2006, 00:10   #4
BHPian

Nice read. I agree with GTO. Whats the big deal with color? One can paint a car any color they want.
Old 31st March 2006, 01:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon
Nice read. I agree with GTO. Whats the big deal with color? One can paint a car any color they want.
sure, but do you know how much it can be?

a decent paint job which i wouldnt want to get on my vette/G35 would run you 3.5-4k $$ and a good paint job which i would like to get on my vette/G35 would cost close to 7-8k $$, so you are talking about good money, thats about 20% of the G35s cost and about 15% of the vette's cost, so thats quite significant...if you are looking at a ferrari etc, sure why not, when you sheel out over msrp, whats another 10-15k(to match ferrari factory paint job)...
Old 31st March 2006, 04:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

exactly my thoughts. pricing strategy in N.america sucks compared to India. It's true. LOL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks