Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 10:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: FIAT coming up with "FIAT 500L"

AutoCar India (July 2012) has a small feature on this car, with a picture (same as the red car in the 26th post). I think the article was titled "Fiat's Eritga Rival". I guess that means AutoCar is expecting prices also to be in the same range.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th July 2012 at 12:12. Reason: Edited on request. Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 10:32   #32
BHPian

I thought it was the 500X (cross over version) that is coming to India in 2013 that is considered Ertiga rival. May be I didn't read correctly.
I guess, Fiat is looking at the buzz created over Duster & Ecosport and are tempted
500L with raised suspension = 500X?
Old 12th July 2012, 19:08   #33
BHPian

Unless Fiat prices it around 10L or more like the Duster/Ertiga this is not going to exactly fly off the showrooms.

Else they could put a 1.9l Engine with a higher output but not really considering that would really be appealing to an Indian market without proper marketing.

Again on the point, they could discontinue the Linea and put this in its place at the same price point or sell it along side Linea as a Linea Combi or say Linea estate with space for 7 ofcourse.

And probably after that Tata will come out with the Ertiga rival on the Manza platform. Just kidding.

With the new focus of Fiat on selling and setting up of Fiat specific showrooms and service who knows perhaps this might sell.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think 500L will be priced close to 20 lacs only.

Innova is expected to move upmarket and the current innova will be replaced by Avanza / New mini MUV based on Etios platform.

Currently there are no MUVs above Innova. There is a huge gap between Innova and the next MUV which is Merc R350. When innova prices itself close to 20 lacs, Fiat will look to position the 500L on par to compete in the segment. Funky and sophisticated looks of the 500L will try to overcome the Toyota reliability.

Like Mahindra who try their best to name thier models ending with the alphabet "O" (save for Thar & getaway), Fiat tries to name thier models ending with a Vowel (Millicento, Punto, Linea, Padmini, Palio) so by this trend it should be 500L (elle)

Last edited by scopriobharath : 12th July 2012 at 19:46. Reason: added millicento
Old 13th July 2012, 05:41   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
I think 500L will be priced close to 20 lacs only.

Innova is expected to move upmarket and the current innova will be replaced by Avanza / New mini MUV based on Etios platform.

Currently there are no MUVs above Innova. There is a huge gap between Innova and the next MUV which is Merc R350. When innova prices itself close to 20 lacs, Fiat will look to position the 500L on par to compete in the segment. Funky and sophisticated looks of the 500L will try to overcome the Toyota reliability.

Like Mahindra who try their best to name thier models ending with the alphabet "O" (save for Thar & getaway), Fiat tries to name thier models ending with a Vowel (Millicento, Punto, Linea, Padmini, Palio) so by this trend it should be 500L (elle)
In what way can you possibly compare a Fiat 500L to an Innova?

They do not cater to similar consumer segments at all! Nor are they similar vehicle types even.

If at all there is to be a comparison the 500L may be compared to a Skoda Yeti or the Mini Countryman. None else.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 12:35   #36
BHPian

re: Fiat plans to Launch 500X (SUV) & 500L (5-door) in India!

Mods, sorry for posting in probably the wrong thread, Mumbai has just got its first ABARTH 695 Triburto Ferrari (fiat 500) in red with White stripes.

Had great interiors and was being driven by a chauffer, couldnt click a suitable picture, but the car had the Abarth Monogram..
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 14:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My observations:

This almost as large as current Punto.
I was never really happy with the Punto EVO.
In my opinion this is the car that is perfect replacement of the Punto.

But given the price of current 500 in India, if they are going to price 500L in same league then guys please give India a skip. No need to go through motions.
In my view Fiat has a very good opportunity now - it is built on the same platform as the Linea and the engines are not too different from the current ones. They can call officially Grande Punto in India , I am sure it would be a more family oriented hatch as compared to the Punto in terms of back seat space.

The only hitch would be if they get sucked up into the <4m classification temptation.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Any interior pictures yet? Eager to compare the leg room with that of the Ertiga.
Old 17th July 2012, 19:47   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Absolutely right. If they want to bring it into India and push it down our throats at 20 lacs or so, like they tried with the 500, then they might as well give it a miss.
20 lakhs doesn't look too bad when you consider the 40 lakh (estimate) price-tag of the Mini Clubman, which is its direct competitor. Or at least, I'd like to think so.

Fat chance Fiat would even consider this car though. At the moment, they're struggling to sell even the Linea and Punto. Catch them trying to sell the 500L.

Quote:

If at all there is to be a comparison the 500L may be compared to a Skoda Yeti or the Mini Countryman. None else.
The Fiat 500X (crossover based on the 500) would be pitted against the Mini Countryman and the Skoda Yeti. The apt comparison for the 500 'L' would be the Mini Clubman.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th July 2012 at 21:02. Reason: Clubman, not Countryman. :)
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 20:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Catch them trying to sell the 500L.
Yeah,no ways! And the name just sounds like large underwear.

This car does not evoke the same charm as a Mini Countryman. Let alone the Clubman. Even the new Opel Adam generates more interest. All IMO. Maybe because it reminds one of the Panda, and we've always known to be a basic, well thought about runabout. Was charming in ways totally different.
Old 17th July 2012, 21:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In what way can you possibly compare a Fiat 500L to an Innova?

Just comparing w.r.t to 7 seater MUV & Price. I am not taking into effect Size or performace.

Quote:
20 lakhs doesn't look too bad when you consider the 40 lakh price-tag of the Mini Countryman, which is its direct competitor. Or at least, I'd like to think so.
Fat chance Fiat would even consider this car though. At the moment, they're struggling to sell even the Linea and Punto. Catch them trying to sell the 500L.
I Agree - just the dies need to be imported. All other things can be localized to price it at 20 lacs IMHO. If the same funky look + 7 seats is retained, it will be hit.
Old 17th July 2012, 21:10   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Yeah,no ways! And the name just sounds like large underwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Just comparing w.r.t to 7 seater MUV & Price. I am not taking into effect Size or performace.

I Agree - just the dies need to be imported. All other things can be localized to price it at 20 lacs IMHO. If the same funky look + 7 seats is retained, it will be hit.
Wait a minute. None of the cars in the discussion (apart from the Ertiga and the Innova) are 7-seaters. Not the CLubman, not the Countryman not the Yeti and certainly not the Fiat 500X or the 500L. In fact, the 500L is less than 3 inches longer than the regular 500 hatchback!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th July 2012 at 21:11. Reason: typo
Old 17th July 2012, 21:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
None of the cars in the discussion (apart from the Ertiga and the Innova) are 7-seaters.
Wow !! This is a surprise to me. The July Month of Autocar Mag says that 500L would be a 7 seater and compete with Ertiga. I feel it would be priced close to Innova at point of launch.

I was confused whether 500L is a extended Hatch like Mini cooper or an MUV like Innova/Ertiga (ignore price).
Old 17th July 2012, 21:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

This car looks like an epic fail. I absolutely love the design of the 500 but this one doesn't go too well with me. It looks like a panda and a 500 went to bed for a night and this is the disfigured child. Its the same with the Mini Clubman/Countryman. Both are just atrocious.

Why don't car manufacturers leave cute small 2 door hatches the way they are. Elongating them is just a sad excuse to make more money.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 23:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam indicates 500L as an Ertiga Rival.

Fiat 500 7-Seater MPV Is Ertiga Rival | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks