Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 13:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Chevy Cruze Station wagon unveiled!

The Chevy Cruze Station Wagon looks as beautiful as the sedan. That is a rare feat to achieve. Kudos to the designers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
But guess it isn't for India given how wagons have fared including chevy's own.
When I read the above post, what came to my mind was the Chevy Forester (or Subaru Forester). Though it was designed as an SUV, it looked more like a station wagon. I've personally sighted only two in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
They didnt have a wagon but they did have the hatch version of the Optra, the SRV that flopped !!
Like Rudra Sen pointed out, the SRV flopped due to its abnormally high pricing at that time. Actually it was the design and the sporty visual appeal of the SRV which provided any little sales it had.
Old 10th February 2012, 13:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yup, the Subaru rebadged Forester too flopped big time. But I think they marketed it more as an SUV than a station wagon, with 4 WD etc (which is Subaru's signature anyway). If I remember right, it was quite overpriced, possibly because of import duties. Also, the Indian market did not need this kind of vehicle back then.

But Cruze station wagon looks much bigger than Forester, no?

Last edited by rohanjf : 10th February 2012 at 13:44.
Old 10th February 2012, 14:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

The problem has always been that wagons for some reason are over-priced and not reasonably priced above the sedans. Plus junta in India is so conscious oh the looks and its a tough job to make a wagon look good when both sedan and wagon are being sold.
This one though stands out and looks neat! But i don't think it will justify the kind of sales required for a launch with an affordable and reasonable price tag.
Do you guys think that Wagons make more sense over sedans? I mean whats the real value proposition here?
Old 10th February 2012, 15:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Day before yesterday, on Golf Course Road Gurgaon, I spotted a Maroon coloured SRV in pristine condition. So many years after it's launch, and after it has been phased out (?) it still looks WOW! I loved it since the day I first set my eyes on it.

To me Station Wagons or extended Hatches (if I may!) make a lot of sense for Indian families. We have a huge fascination for extra luggage and consequently the Boot Space, and this is more than ample with such a form factor.

That said, the Station Wagon Cruze also looks WOW. However, would it click on the Indian market, if it were to be launched here? I don't think so. I think people who buy the Cruze are those who do it for it's somewhat Sporty character and relatively spirited performance. Both these aspects would take a hit, with this form factor and hence may not sell here.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Cruze Wagon looks mindblowingly good in its design and contours and looks a bit like Q3/Q5. Hope the motor that goes in it and pricing is as aggressive as its current stable partners and it will burn the sales charts for sure.

However, not sure if this is planned for India in near future

I had been a fan of SRV right from begining and wondered why it failed. It was a car released well ahead of its time both in terms of power delivery and pricing. Had the SRV released now it with a lower price tag with P and D versions and it would rake up good numbers without fail.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Initially looking at the thread title, I was like "Oh, no, why chevy?", but when I looked at the picture it was just the other way round to what I thought. I would even go to the extent of saying, this looks a tad better than even the cruze sedan.

One request to GM - Even if you decide not to bring this here, please do consider bringing that cruze hatchback version. what a car it would be!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Cruze Station wagon unveiled!-imagesca9mpofa.jpg  

Chevy Cruze Station wagon unveiled!-imagescak61w3b.jpg  

Old 10th February 2012, 16:40   #22
BHPian

Well, the only really good Wagons in India in my opinion were the Octavia Combi and the Baleno Altura. While the Altura was just too pricey for its time, The problem with the Octavia Combi was that it was simply available either as the 150bhp turbo petrol or as the L&K version diesel (again wayyy too pricey).
I agree with a lot of the comments above about the wagons being most practical for India - the only issue is practicality sometimes takes the backseat against prestige and I don't think the Driver wala junta would ever go for such a vehicle.
Old 10th February 2012, 19:50   #23
BHPian

When I saw and clicked on this thread, immediate thought was Why? Was it needed, as Cruze as it is just wow.

When I saw the pic, it was again Wow*2. Chevy has done a great job.

I have always liked the wagons, and was so tempted to buy Marina, eventuallly ended up with Indica Xeta. Baleno Altura is my alltime favorite.

Manufacturers, though, have always failed to sense the pulse in India for this segment. Correctly priced, we have a winner in the Chevy showroom.
Hope to see this on roads soon
Old 11th February 2012, 20:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
One request to GM - Even if you decide not to bring this here, please do consider bringing that cruze hatchback version.
Not to hijack the thread, but the hatchback version does look quite sporty! Hey, shouldn’t that be called as a Notchback?

The Cruze Station Wagon may not make its way to India. I think notchbacks are better appreciated in India than station wagons. Examples include the Accent Viva and Opel Corsa Sail. Maybe the only commonly seen station wagon on Indian roads is the Indigo Marina. I wonder why that was more successful in comparison to other wagons. Was it affordability?
Looking at the cute lines of the Cruze Station Wagon, I do hope rather selfishly that GM considers bringing it to India. Who knows, it may prove to be a game changer after all.
Old 11th February 2012, 23:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

As neat as most of the sedan turned station wagon off late.
Honda Accord Tourer, Opel Astra Sports Tourer, Opel Insignia Sports Tourer to name some.

I hope they tweak the face to make it look different.

Last edited by HammerHead : 11th February 2012 at 23:11.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Chevy had a wagon in India?? Which one?
Subaru Forester AKA Chevrolet Forester.
Old 1st March 2012, 06:12   #27
BHPian

Someone recently posted this on fb page.

Nice sleek lines, Good work by the chevy design team.

Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 09:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
They had the Forrester in India too right?

The Forrester was more of a crossover than a true station-wagon/estate.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:02   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Someone recently posted this on fb page.

Nice sleek lines, Good work by the chevy design team.

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Station Wagon - YouTube
Thanks for posting this video!

One of my favourite cars in India - Just got a lot better (Even though this may not be coming to India!). Wish I was at that stage of life - where I could afford a Cruze!

I hope GM keeps this winning formula (Stunning looks + long feature list + breathtaking diesel performance) for its upcoming launches as well!
Old 1st March 2012, 16:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow! It does look good. They should launch it here.

I like the slightly revised front as well. Here is the front three quarter view.
Chevy Cruze Station wagon unveiled!-2013chevroletcruzestationwagon_3.jpg

courtesy: Carscoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks