Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2006, 01:13   #31
BHPian

firstly a car is only new if it bought through an official dealer...the car has to be brand new......so in the uk it would have to be an unregistered caar with no road tax paid on it....the car first owner should be the importer not the car dealer..... secondly the TR situation is rubbish....makes no difference in fact if the car is not in ur name for a year u have to ppay a penalty.....TR would charge duty on the depreciated value of the car......but still 170% very expensive affair....better of gettin a new car....thats the whole point of this structure......as per mods....well what they dont know doesnt hurt.......if u can arrange with the dealer to takee seperate payments (illegal) and under invoice the car to show it is completly stock wit no options then u cant get away with it.....a lower duty but more hassle.......

there is only one simple way to bring in a car to this country,....

1. make sure it is new unregistered
2. over $ 40000
3. over 3 litre
4. pay 110% duty and futher 10 or so % registration

any way round this it will either be tooooooo expensive or dodgey (scam) and the care is likely to be cofiscated.....

UNLESS

u own a hotel or travel agent in india which can earn 7 times the value of the car imported in foreign currency over 8 years.....if u can which most big hotels can u can bring a car epcg for 5% duty onlyy.....
BUT
it has to be 4 door so technically it can be used for hotel purposes ie. picking up guests etc...

as far as the discount goes whatever the invoice states that what duty u pay but if u claim that u bought ur F430 spyder for $45000 they might just raise an eyebrow but it would be very hard for a official dealer to give u major discounts like that or even invoice u for those amounts cause they would get in trouble

Last edited by gemballa : 28th March 2006 at 01:18.
Old 28th March 2006, 01:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemballa
firstly a car is only new if it bought through an official dealer...the car has to be brand new......so in the uk it would have to be an unregistered caar with no road tax paid on it....the car first owner should be the importer not the car dealer..... secondly the TR situation is rubbish....makes no difference in fact if the car is not in ur name for a year u have to ppay a penalty.....TR would charge duty on the depreciated value of the car......but still 170% very expensive affair....better of gettin a new car....thats the whole point of this structure......as per mods....well what they dont know doesnt hurt.......if u can arrange with the dealer to takee seperate payments (illegal) and under invoice the car to show it is completly stock wit no options then u cant get away with it.....a lower duty but more hassle.......

there is only one simple way to bring in a car to this country,....

1. make sure it is new unregistered
2. over $ 40000
3. over 3 litre
4. pay 110% duty and futher 10 or so % registration

any way round this it will either be tooooooo expensive or dodgey (scam) and the care is likely to be cofiscated.....

UNLESS

u own a hotel or travel agent in india which can earn 7 times the value of the car imported in foreign currency over 8 years.....if u can which most big hotels can u can bring a car epcg for 5% duty onlyy.....
BUT
it has to be 4 door so technically it can be used for hotel purposes ie. picking up guests etc...

as far as the discount goes whatever the invoice states that what duty u pay but if u claim that u bought ur F430 spyder for $45000 they might just raise an eyebrow but it would be very hard for a official dealer to give u major discounts like that or even invoice u for those amounts cause they would get in trouble
Thanks again gemballa, you cleared a lot of things. As for TR, i still dont see the problem, the car would be registered in my name in UK but i would be coming from US, that shouldnt bother the customs guy right, he want that the car be in my name for a year and that it be used by me, which is no problem, but it doesnt state anywhere(Atleast i dont know, you can clarify) that i have to own the car in the country where i reside? I can own cars around the world and bring whatever suits my fancy right?

As for the EPCG scheme, well I have many people who can do this for me, but the only problem with that is YELLOW PLATES if that was not the case then we would have already got a 760Li and a Cayenne in, one of my dad's best friends own botique hotels in india..but anyhow..please clarify the TR thing for me.
Old 28th March 2006, 03:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
secondly the TR situation is rubbish....makes no difference in fact if the car is not in ur name for a year u have to ppay a penalty.....TR would charge duty on the depreciated value of the car......but still 170% very expensive affair....better of gettin a new car....thats the whole point of this structure.
Thanks for your reply Genballa... however I am totally confused now, so you are saying TR folks have no benifit at all in terms of tax'es/custom duties/etc???

Also do you know any ppl in mumbai that can handle custom/clearance and all the paper work that needs to be done for a fee ofcourse?
Old 28th March 2006, 17:40   #34
BHPian

ur right....u can be any where the car just has to be in ur name 4 a year...... u will have to pay full duty on the car..so u cannot bring in a brand new car......unless u scam the paperwork.........customs force the documents to prove it.....there is absolutely no benefit to be gained using the TR route unless u bringing a car down because u want that car only at not a new one.....it will end up costin u bout the same.....terrible system

most clearing agents should be able to handle bringing a tr in as long as u have all the paperwork proper....

as for the hotel route u can getaway not putting the yellow plates most people dont .........

to put it simply if u import a car today then u should have bought it in ur name in 29 march 2005..... and pay the duty on the depreciated value of the car by a year...... if the car is 3 years old then then the dep value of it pluss full duty.....

the only benefit u have mate is that with a TR u can bring a used car in and without u cant......thats ur benefit.....everything else is relly no benefit to u

Last edited by gemballa : 28th March 2006 at 17:48.
Old 28th March 2006, 21:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ur right....u can be any where the car just has to be in ur name 4 a year...... u will have to pay full duty on the car..so u cannot bring in a brand new car......unless u scam the paperwork.........customs force the documents to prove it.....there is absolutely no benefit to be gained using the TR route unless u bringing a car down because u want that car only at not a new one.....it will end up costin u bout the same.....terrible system

most clearing agents should be able to handle bringing a tr in as long as u have all the paperwork proper....

as for the hotel route u can getaway not putting the yellow plates most people dont .........

to put it simply if u import a car today then u should have bought it in ur name in 29 march 2005..... and pay the duty on the depreciated value of the car by a year...... if the car is 3 years old then then the dep value of it pluss full duty.....

the only benefit u have mate is that with a TR u can bring a used car in and without u cant......thats ur benefit.....everything else is relly no benefit to u
oh really..so what u saying is..on TR i still have to pay duty? and what would that number be? the same as a brand new car duty which is about 104%??

wow, i was under the impression you can bring in the car on TR for no duty what so ever, as long as the car is under your name for 1 yr or more..wow!! this is saddening news..are you positive on this...
Old 28th March 2006, 22:33   #36
BHPian

Ok guys I made some calls back home and got this information...

Indian's who come into India on TR are allowed to bring in 1 car or a Bike.

Car's of the capacity of more than 1600cc should be owned and used for at least one year. Cars which are less than 1600cc can be bought (new or second-hand) prior to arrival.

For Transfer of residence...
Used car Depreciation is calculated as follows:

1st year - 16%
2nd year - 12%
3rd year - 10%
4th year - 8%
5th year - 8%
6th year - 8%
7th year - 8%

which makes it a maximum of 70%.

So in theory:
1) if I buy a 6 year old car (original MSRP: $100k) for whatever price today...
2) use it for 1 year (this will make it eligible for import as TR)...
3) Ship it to India under TR

Custom Duty payable will be 111% on the depreciated value of the car (no discounts here from what I understand speaking to my sources)

Custom Duty on the car... $100k (not your purchase price... but the original MSRP) - 70% = $30k... 111% duty on $30k = $33k

So my cost would be "Whatever price I purchased the 6 Year old $100k car" + $33k + Shipping/registration/insurance cost's in India

Gemballa: Can you please confirm this with your sources???? Only benefit I see is Custom duty calculation on depreciation of the vehicle.
Old 29th March 2006, 02:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Then this TR crap is hogwash...i mean this freaking govt is blood sucking and thats it...but i hope this is not the case..

atleats on TR they should allow bringing of a car back with you for no duty...
Old 29th March 2006, 02:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn i thought TR would hv to pay neglible amount duty.
Does anyone know the clauses for EPCG? Is it valid only for hotel owners or can people who export over the world make use of this once they cross a certain amount of foreign exchange that they are bringing in?
Old 29th March 2006, 03:04   #39
BHPian

da pilot u are absolutely right the duty is 112% plus 12 % registration in mumbai......for the guys who think on a TR u can get a car duty free ....keeep dreaming.......is it really worth paying $33k duty for a 7 year old car that cost $100k ....i dont think might as well get a new car,....

epcg are for hotels and travel agents,.....but i think the scheme is for any company premoting tourism in india.....the cars must be used technically for tourist purposes...just export wont do.....

Last edited by gemballa : 29th March 2006 at 03:06.
Old 29th March 2006, 03:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Damn i thought TR would hv to pay neglible amount duty.
Does anyone know the clauses for EPCG? Is it valid only for hotel owners or can people who export over the world make use of this once they cross a certain amount of foreign exchange that they are bringing in?
Hate to be the messenger of bad news here but....
Exporter's were eligible earlier... not anymore (EPCG rules changed end of last year or earlier this year)

EPCG scheme is now valid only for hotels, travel agents, tour operators... basically tourisim industry that generates foreigh exchange....

And forex earned in current and preceding three years should be atleast 1.5 crore....

yea i know bummer
Old 29th March 2006, 03:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPilot
Hate to be the messenger of bad news here but....
Exporter's were eligible earlier... not anymore (EPCG rules changed end of last year or earlier this year)

EPCG scheme is now valid only for hotels, travel agents, tour operators... basically tourisim industry that generates foreigh exchange....

And forex earned in current and preceding three years should be atleast 1.5 crore....

yea i know bummer
I guess then this will have to be my only option, but then again these guys dont allow coupes under their scheme..

thats just crap, why couldnt i get an exotic car to be rented by my hotel to the hotel guests, this should make it a good enough reason for them to allow it..

these guys really need to take a look at the duty structures and schemes available on autos...the indian car industry is quite stable now..and also will never have competetion for ultra luxurious sedans, sports coupes in the next 50 years..so whats the point of protecting it..

Last edited by 1Day : 29th March 2006 at 03:47.
Old 29th March 2006, 04:08   #42
BHPian

ASK BAJAJ GUY, he is the one who wants the curtains to be raised to that level. to my knowledge the information about imports discussed here is correct.

Last edited by west : 29th March 2006 at 04:09.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:57   #43
BHPian

How old the car should be?

When importing a used car on TR, can it be more than 3 years old?.

I want to import a 1992 or 1995 Mazda Miata (MX-5) as TR from Japan. Panning to move to India in a year and getting it for really cheap say around Rs 1.5lacs . Now what is the total tax, charges that I might be paying considering the original MSRP is just Rs 6lacs .

Please calculations considering above amounts would be helpful to know as what would be the final cost I am looking at.

Thanks
Ashok
Old 29th October 2007, 18:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

@Iday

You have to stay in a country for 3yrs to avail the TR
The car should be on your name for min 1yr
Not more then 3yrs old
Very easy to transfer the car on your name in UK. Just fill in the V5(logbook, RC) and send it off to DVLA. Here the RC so called V5 comes as a two page A4 size paper. You fill in your details as a new owner and post it to DVLA. You keep one page. Takes 3weeks for a new V5 to arrive in your name. If you are permanently exporting the car then you got to notify DVLA and have to surrender your V5. Then they give you different set of papers which help you in custom clearence for the port of departure and arrivel.

Hope it helps
Old 29th October 2007, 20:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

U can get a similar vintage MX5 for around 3-4 lakhs.
so, dont bother importing and going through the customs torture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks