Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 01:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Thank you very much for the reply but I'm aware of how the diffuser works. Big fan of the 2009 double decker diffuser of the brawn F1 car!
Can't wait for lap times for this vehicle : )))
Hope dint mind me then .I love the underbody of the LaF,and those 2 flaps and guided vane at the front and 2 flats at the rear.The ram air effect on the intakes.The LaFerrari website is surprisingly comprehensive.

Ferrari states it will lap the 'Ring in under 7 mins.I however have a feeling the P1 will just be a little bit faster around a track.

One interesting pic of the rear wing fully extended.
Attached Thumbnails
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-31287.jpg  

Last edited by avishar : 8th March 2013 at 01:35.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 22:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

This is another of Ferrari's cars that seem to have grown on me. Just the way the 458 did. Anyway, I love the car. Ferrari gave us a choice of looking at a few more colours today. Attaching them here:

Front:
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-b1.jpg
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-r1.jpg
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-y1.jpg

Side:
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-b2.jpg
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-r2.jpg
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-y2.jpg

Rear Three Quarters?:
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-b3.jpg
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-r3.jpg
Ferrari F150 "LaFerrari" - The Enzo Successor!-y3.jpg

My pick? Rosso Corsa!
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 16:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

This car & the company are amazing... they simply blew the competition (McLaren P1) away with their numbers. The honchos at McLaren were always speaking of Ferrari beating numbers for their car (bench-marking with some imaginative slow car IMO), & this car LaFerrari just set new standards of performance standards .

The Lambo Veneno is the only car which can match this one in appeal, but, its production is restricted to 3 cars only, & it more than thrice its cost.
Old 9th March 2013, 20:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Here is LaFerrari Color Configurator - Link.

Its available only in three colors as announced earlier but I am sure sooner or later someone is going to get it in a different shade or at least paint it themselves.
Old 10th March 2013, 00:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
This car & the company are amazing... they simply blew the competition (McLaren P1) away with their numbers.
P1 is no pushover and certainly has not been blown away yet.Wouldnt be too surprised if the P1 is slightly faster around a track like a Nurburgring.Also performance numbers have not been fully released yet.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Seen this video?

Ron Dennis himself claims that the P1 is going to be the fastest car is the world and is gonna do a sub-7min lap of the Nordschleife and to be by far faster than any of its rivals from present and near future, I think we know what he is hinting at

Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 10:41   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they simply blew the competition (McLaren P1) away with their numbers.
If numbers were the whole story, the Enzo would've been faster than the McLaren F1. 651hp vs 618hp. But that isn't the story, now is it?

McLaren will handle a little better than the LaFerrari in my opinion.
Old 10th March 2013, 11:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
If numbers were the whole story, the Enzo would've been faster than the McLaren F1. 651hp vs 618hp. But that isn't the story, now is it?

LaFerrari and P1 have similar specification but I think the LaFerrari will win against the P1 as it has the KERS system which the P1 does not have.Handling of both the cars will be similar.The LaFerrari definitely has better aerodynamics.And do note that the P1 shares it's chassis with the MP4-12C.So the chassis has to handle more weight when compared to the more advanced chassis of the LaFerrari.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 10th March 2013, 13:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
LaFerrari and P1 have similar specification but I think the LaFerrari will win against the P1 as it has the KERS system which the P1 does not have.Handling of both the cars will be similar.The LaFerrari definitely has better aerodynamics.And do note that the P1 shares it's chassis with the MP4-12C.So the chassis has to handle more weight when compared to the more advanced chassis of the LaFerrari.

Cheers,

Achyuth
The P1 has an electric motor too, it's called IPAS(Instant Power Assist System). Provides upto 179PS of power.

Can't really comment on the aerodynamics, my naked eye is able to decipher very little of those superfluous curves on both cars.

I remember reading the P1 too using a Carbon Fiber Chassis, as does the LaFerrari. So I doubt you'll be seeing any significant weight savings as well.
Old 10th March 2013, 13:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:
The P1 has an electric motor too, it's called IPAS(Instant Power Assist System). Provides upto 179PS of power.

Can't really comment on the aerodynamics, my naked eye is able to decipher very little of those superfluous curves on both cars.

I remember reading the P1 too using a Carbon Fiber Chassis, as does the LaFerrari. So I doubt you'll be seeing any significant weight savings as well.

Hey ashwin.terminat,The LaFerrari also has a hybrid motor which is combined to the KERS motor.It is called the HY-KERS.That's why I said the the P1 will be slower when compared to the LaFerrari.
Old 10th March 2013, 16:21   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hope dint mind me then .I love the underbody of the LaF,and those 2 flaps and guided vane at the front and 2 flats at the rear.The ram air effect on the intakes.The LaFerrari website is surprisingly comprehensive.

Ferrari states it will lap the 'Ring in under 7 mins.I however have a feeling the P1 will just be a little bit faster around a track.

One interesting pic of the rear wing fully extended.
Not at all ^_^.
The wing in that position appears to be an air brake. Is it used solely as an air brake or to craft downforce as well. I'm unsure again hmm...
Old 10th March 2013, 19:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P1 is no pushover and certainly has not been blown away yet.Wouldnt be too surprised if the P1 is slightly faster around a track like a Nurburgring.Also performance numbers have not been fully released yet.
Quote:

Pushover or not... the engine specs of the LaFerrari are definitely better... & refer the below link for comparo of the 3 cars (which is also basis of my comments):

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013...-mclaren-35497

The smaller engine of the Mclaren is definitely the one to blame for the same. McLaren had planned a repeat of GTR Vrs Porsche story, but, they could not pull this time. I bet better mileage would be he only consoling factor in P1's case.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:58   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post

Cheers,

Achyuth
You need to read up on the cars before making sweeping statements like that.

Ferrari's HY-KERS is technically not too different than than the P1 hybrid.Both are KERS systems,the only difference being the way they are generating power.They both primarily take power from brake regeneration. The Ferrari electric motors uses to regenerate ALSO from the engine by keeping the revs a bit higher during cornering,so that when it exits the corner,the engine is bit higher to its peak power output.The KERS unit of the P1,uses the electric to produce negative power to pull down the engine revs faster so as to make faster gearshifts,which again puts the engine right in the power band,important for a turbocharged car.Different applications to get maximum performance.

Interestingly,the Ferrari V12 has not been designed with lower low end torque in mind and put power up higher in the rev band,which allows it to spin to 9250rpm because it has the electric engine to fill up the torque band lower down.Also the Ferrari HY-KERS unit is always integrated into the power delivery,and it automatically suppliments the NA engine.The Mclaren KERS system though has a manual override with the IPAS button,which allows full power and full torque whenever required.Again different routes to performance.

The downforce figures of the LaF is not out yet,but the P1 makes a huge 1300lbs of downforce at around 200-250 which is massive.Not to mention you also have that DRS system which will cut down on the downforce at higher speeds.You dont need mega downforce on a long straight,you want to reduce it as much as you can but enough to keep the rear pinned.You want maximum downforce at around 200-220 during cornering.
LaFerrari also has a similiar low-downforce,high-downforce adjustment details of which havnt been released.

It has the same Monocage architecture with the MP4 but not the same chassis.That is the attach points of the "Tub" for the engine subframe and the front subframe are the same,but this is a much more stiffer chassis.Torsional rigidity is how you measure chassis strength.Weight is not an issue.Both P1 and LaF are going to be very close in weight.

Mclaren has been building CarbonFibre chassis before Ferrari(They were the first to introduce a CF Chassis in F1).And the Mclaren F1 was the first roadcar with a fully CF monoque at a time when the F40 was still tubular steel and aluminium.The MP4-12c also uses a full CF Tub,while 458 has an aluminium extruded chassis.There expertise in creating CF chassis are not to be doubted.

I am big fan of Ferrari,and the LaFerrari specifications are staggering.But having followed the development of these two cars for a long time and understanding the underlying technology,the P1 is not to be taken lightly.It is going to take the fight to the LaF very very close.

Quote:
Pushover or not... the engine specs of the LaFerrari are definitely better... & refer the below link for comparo of the 3 cars (which is also basis of my comments):

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013...-mclaren-35497

The smaller engine of the Mclaren is definitely the one to blame for the same. McLaren had planned a repeat of GTR Vrs Porsche story, but, they could not pull this time. I bet better mileage would be he only consoling factor in P1's case.
Smaller engine?Since when did that make a car inferior?F1 cars are going to use 1.6L TC engines from 2014,so that makes them absolutely stone-age doesnt it?

Mclaren M838T engine,itself a development of a strong race derived engine,was built to keep in mind future power increases.A modular design that allows increases in power to be made with minimal increase hardware.It was made very very robust right from the word go.A small software update(which every Mp4-12c gets free of cost) has bumped up the power to 616bhp.

No doubt its less than the NA V12 of the LaF,but there is the tantalising prospect of an increase in power if the need be.A bump of 30-40 bhp wont be too difficult.However when it comes to soundtrack the V12 wins hands down.And i am happy they kept the V12.

Last edited by avishar : 13th March 2013 at 04:02.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 13:08   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Smaller engine?Since when did that make a car inferior?F1 cars are going to use 1.6L TC engines from 2014,so that makes them absolutely stone-age doesnt it?

Mclaren M838T engine,itself a development of a strong race derived engine,was built to keep in mind future power increases.A modular design that allows increases in power to be made with minimal increase hardware.It was made very very robust right from the word go.A small software update(which every Mp4-12c gets free of cost) has bumped up the power to 616bhp.

No doubt its less than the NA V12 of the LaF,but there is the tantalising prospect of an increase in power if the need be.A bump of 30-40 bhp wont be too difficult.However when it comes to soundtrack the V12 wins hands down.And i am happy they kept the V12.
Thank you for coming out with an open heart. I never made the sweeping statement that smaller engine makes any car inferior. However, in this case McLaren couldn't pull out the rabbit from their hat.

There is absolutely no problem with the car as it manages to compete with the best till 124 mph, but loses only a second to 186 mph, but with McLaren product planning, there is definitely serious problem.

They should tried something like the Bugatti Veyron Supersport (fastest car in the world) or something with fastest numbers to 62/96 mph. This could have provided the car the niche McLaren was striving for, rather than being a loser at the top end (I know it does not matter in real world).

Imagine, you have the dough & buy a P1, & another rich friend of yours buys the LaFerrari & beats you in a race in controlled environment. How would you feel? I'm sure many P1 buyers will feel the same when racing with LaFerrari or the Veneno (which has even better top end & is more exclusive).
Old 13th March 2013, 14:48   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine, you have the dough & buy a P1, & another rich friend of yours buys the LaFerrari & beats you in a race in controlled environment. How would you feel?
In 99% + cases, the driver ability will matter more than the mentioned cars.

Its only a matter of deliveries starting and hitting the tracks and we will see wins from both sides in different scenarios and each fanboys will support their dream-toys.

Most Viewed