Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 13:03   #16
BHPian

re: Bentley EXP 9 F concept SUV. EDIT, named Bentayga

I could never have imagined a Bentley SUV but with other established Luxury sport/sedan makers opting for the SUV route, like Porsche, now Lamborghini and Ferrari (maybe) it was but a matter of time for someone like Bentley to join the fray. What can we expect next - Rolls Royce SUV concept??

That said, it tries a bit too much and too hard to mimic the Mulsanne, at least in the front and nose. Bentley should mark out new territory with this SUV whilst retaining it's Bentley design roots. Otherwise I must admit I was blown away by the interiors.

Can just imagine an English lord mucking about in the wild, shooting down pheasants and then settling down at a place overlooking the moor for a spot of tea.
Old 6th March 2012, 13:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well, it is just a concept to show that Bentley is capable of producing an SUV. And the concept is not even complete. Look at the absence of rear wiper and demister. Also, the photos and sketches don't seem to be in proportion. The roof is higher in photos than in the sketches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Why Viper,

Won't it be good if you can drive all the way to ladakh (SUV), and set up an awesome dinner beside the lake.

I personally, would like such setup, though from the pics, Im a bit worried about boot space. Roof luggage carriers won't look good on a Bentley.

Cheers,
Tapish
Well, if you do go to Ladakh for a dinner by the lake, most probably it will be a romantic one. So you will have the rear seats too, to keep your luggage. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I guess this leaves Rolls Royce and Maybach as the last true makers of only hyper luxury cars.
Now you can omit Maybach from this list :-)
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 00:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Why Viper,

Won't it be good if you can drive all the way to ladakh (SUV), and set up an awesome dinner beside the lake.

I personally, would like such setup, though from the pics, Im a bit worried about boot space. Roof luggage carriers won't look good on a Bentley.

Cheers,
Tapish
That kind of dinner will be a dream come true but I'm just worried about the boot space as you are but as RohanJF suggested if the rear seats lay flat then a small fordable table, hot pack, pack of wine (I'm thinking 6), a bed tent (you dont want to drive after having that much of wine) will do.

Porsche Cayenne was a bit successful in integrating the car front design in the first gen Cayenne but this SUV looks ugly. I hope they will change it before it gets into a concept or I'm not sure if its too late by now.

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 7th March 2012 at 00:27.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 02:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

The front define 'ugly' for me. The bean counters will slowly take away the soul from these brands. The day I see a Ferrari SUV, would be 'THE' day the world finished.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:30   #20
BHPian

INHO all bentleys pictures do not do any justice to its magnificent road presence, sheer size and drrroool worthiness. I personally did not know the reason for all the hype about bentleys UNTIL I saw one in person. You just cant describe how great it looks and how actually very big these cars are. Pictures too can't do that. I feel this SUV does look good in these pictures which mean its gonna look absolutely awesome and might be as big as a truck in real life.
Old 7th March 2012, 14:21   #21
BHPian

most of the design elements look good. Only hting that to me doesn't match is the round headlamp at the front. These headlights look great on a salon but here to me it looks out of place. May be a better interpretation of the Bently headlight theme is what is required.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:58   #22
BHPian

Call me a fool but I like the looks. Some may call it the next big Rapper ride,but there is always space for senseless extravagance in the market.
As for whether this will become a production reality, it well may. If it does, they are sure to offer it with the trusted Audi 4 liter V8 engine or a hybrid option alongside the W12 if they are to achieve 3500 units per year.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Dont like it one bit. Looks horrible. Either Bentley should completely change the looks or not manufacture an SUV at all.
I dont even see the reason to be honest.
They seem perfectly placed selling the luxo-elephants Conti GT, FS & the Mulsanne.
Seriously , money (or the anticipation of it) does strange things to people.
Old 10th March 2012, 09:07   #24
BHPian

There is still hope. It may be re designed.

"Too ugly for consumers?"

The Bentley EXP 9 F concept was introduced to a sea of criticism, so isn't terribly surprising the model will be redesigned for production.
According to What Car?, the company knows the styling was "a little heavy handed" and a new design is already being developed. It will likely have traditional SUV styling as well as smaller headlights that are located closer to the grille.
While a similar styling fiasco helped to kill the Aston Martin Lagonda concept, Bentley CEO Wolfgang Dürheimer hinted a production verison could be launched in 2015."

Source: Worldcarfans.com

Headlights are not necessarily the issue here. They need to change the profile and the rear end of that hideous looking vehicle. I still dont think we will see a great looking car. I mean its going to be an evolution from this existing design. Afterall, they have only created one good looking car in recent years (continental GT). Good thing they stuck to the same design on that car even after its prev gen lifecycle ended. I hope i am wrong on the SUV though. I would love to be surprised.

Side note: I still dont think Bentley should be making an SUV.

I am hoping not to hear any news on Royce making an SUV. lol
Old 10th March 2012, 10:04   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I like the look of this concept. And since there's nothing over a Range Rover no reason why Bentley cannot do this.
Old 10th March 2012, 20:45   #26
nbr
BHPian

Inspired by Chinese Geely :)

Some design team at Bentley said; What they can do in China, we can do better in the UK!!! So they took the design of the Geely-Englon SC7-RV Concept and copied it for the Bentley SUV Concept

Courtesy: gtspirit.com
Attached Thumbnails
Bentley EXP 9 F concept SUV. EDIT, named Bentayga-422413_10150574681730143_10344285142_9453805_1040311249_n.jpg  

Old 10th March 2012, 20:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would have loved it, if it had a some BYD or Geely logo on it rather than a Bentley. BYD or Geely Exp 9 F is more suitable name. IMHO Bentley should work on front end of SUV, if they are hell bent on making a one.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bentley SUV - This is all I wanted (but the PS looks horrible)

Yes, This Is A Bentley SUV. Keep Playing The Lottery | Digg Topnews
Attached Thumbnails
Bentley EXP 9 F concept SUV. EDIT, named Bentayga-exp9frear34studio2.jpg  

Bentley EXP 9 F concept SUV. EDIT, named Bentayga-exp9f22.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 23:46   #29
BHPian

First rolling footage of EXP 9 F Concept SUV

Bentley releases first rolling footage of EXP 9 F Concept

Old 9th July 2012, 01:10   #30
Senior - BHPian