Team-BHP - 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG! Launched! Bow down!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   2013 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG! Launched! Bow down! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/117707-2013-mercedes-benz-sl65-amg-launched-bow-down.html)

The greatest V12 engine in the world, now finally mated to the 7G-Tronic makes its world debut with the SL65 AMG! And anyone who had doubts about the new SL and it's design, do look at the pictures, and do we still have people who think this is not good looking?

SL 65 AMG

* AMG's 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine that generates 630 PS (463 kW / 621 hp) whilst peak torque is electronically limited to 1000Nm (737 lb-ft).

* 170 Kg less Kerb Weight! (This is insane)

* 0-100 is under 4 seconds,

Only problem? It will cost you more than an SLS! :)

Welcome back Mercedes, Now time to show the world the S!

Regards,

P.S Below is the press release from Daimler.de

Official Daimler Media Release

Definitely looks beautiful. Specially the rear. And 170kg is a substantial weight reduction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S350L-E240 (Post 2720518)
The greatest V12 engine in the world, now finally mated to the 7G-Tronic makes its world debut with the SL65 AMG! And anyone who had doubts about the new SL and it's design, do look at the pictures, and do we still have people who think this is not good looking?

SL 65 AMG

* AMG's 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine that generates 630 PS (463 kW / 621 hp) whilst peak torque is electronically limited to 1000Nm (737 lb-ft).

* 170 Kg less Kerb Weight! (This is insane)

* 0-100 is under 4 seconds,

Only problem? It will cost you more than an SLS! :)

Welcome back Mercedes, Now time to show the world the S!

Regards,

Why is this engine the greatest of all?Lamborgini aventador 6.5 V12 generates more power with out turbo,Ferrari v12 makes more power from 6.3.The car looks gorgeous

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin.das (Post 2720541)
Why is this engine the greatest of all?Lamborgini aventador 6.5 V12 generates more power with out turbo,Ferrari v12 makes more power from 6.3.The car looks gorgeous

I do not know about it being the greatest engine of all time However, the torque figures are something to look at. Aventador if I am not mistaken does not generate so much torque. So the drive in that sense should be very different.

I do not think this will too much of a concern for someone who is going to buy a V12 engine car with a price tag that this car has, but wouldn't turbos add to the fuel economy. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Torque figures are impressive,if the natural aspirated engine of the Aventador can generate 690NM of torque it can generate much more with turbo.

I must say it is an absolute stunner, and if not the greatest engine in the world then most probably the loudest. However:

1.) 250kph is pretty lame for a car of this spec don't you think?
2.) "11.6 liters now required to travel 100km" -:Shockked: that's the same mileage as a 1.6 petrol, have they been testing it at 1500rpm in 4th gear??

Sachin.

Dear Sir,

I apologize as my sentence made it sound like I am claiming there is no better engine, that was not the point, only due to excitement I could not control as I have driven another car with this same engine in it's previous tune, and it is something words cannot describe,

Yes there are equally great engines, but the torque produced in this one is massive, 1,000 Nm at 2.300-4.300 Rpm, and when you do a kick down you truly need to experience it, and also the CO2 emissions and Combined fuel cycle is wonderful for it's size, but like I said, there are others that are equally good in their own ways, I personally love this,

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin.das (Post 2720541)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Hmm still don't care for the front design. Rear is ok but front does not appeal to me at all. And regarding the best V12 of all time, I disagree. Imo the Aventador V12 is anyday better if not the best!

I dont like the headlight design, it looks more Korean than German. other than that it looks more like a big facelift than an all new design over the previous generation.

Sorry for taking this up but this forum really needs better rules and regulations on terming anything and everything "Korean" I mean yes some may dislike a design, some may find it off beat, some perhaps cannot stand it, but how does it relate to the Koreans?

Are Koreans or Korean Designs that bad that anything and everything bad is Korean? No I don't think so nor do they have cars of every kind that anything gets termed as Korean, unless they are doing something very nice as every thing in terms of off beat design gets related to as Korean,

High time all grow up and realize automotive industry is a global industry with designers from all over, what is German and What is not is not exactly set by terms and conditions,

Sorry if I offend anyone here but it's plain annoying to hear remarks like that, You don't like a car good, don't like it, but quit passing judgements on what is German and what is not, because sure as all this is as German as it gets!

Regards,

I didn't like it the first day either like Dev but over time its something I increasingly like.
What exactly is Korean design as compared to German? I always see it being used in condescending fashion without any clear basis for it. This car surely doesn't look Korean. I believe they are more curvy or 'fluidic' and not necessarily bad looking either.
Oh and the 65 amg. Plain wicked is what comes to mind.

Oops another Korean German rascism! I can undersatand what S350L-E240 is going through! Just read the same on W222 thread! The front looks like typical merc these days, but the back some how reminds me of a bmw 6er! Gorgeous car though! AMG is far different from a standard merc. And what a sound! every time any AMG passes by, my heart skips dont know how many beats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR (Post 2720686)
I didn't like it the first day either like Dev but over time its something I increasingly like.
What exactly is Korean design as compared to German? I always see it being used in condescending fashion without any clear basis for it.

No I am not using it in condescending fashion, that is not the intention. I will elaborate

Quote:

Originally Posted by S350L-E240 (Post 2720683)
Sorry for taking this up but this forum really needs better rules and regulations on terming anything and everything "Korean" I mean yes some may dislike a design, some may find it off beat, some perhaps cannot stand it, but how does it relate to the Koreans?

Sorry if I offend anyone here but it's plain annoying to hear remarks like that, You don't like a car good, don't like it, but quit passing judgements on what is German and what is not, because sure as all this is as German as it gets!

Regards,

Relax, all I am trying to say here is that the design philosophy doesn't seem to be anything of what we expect or seem to expect from a German manufacturer based on its past.

Also whenever a manufacturer puts up a design which resembles an existing design you would call it out e.g. the 2013 Ford Fusion looks too much like an Aston Martin than a Ford & this is certainly not a compliment to the Ford Designs.

So an SL65 AMG which seems to have taken design cues from Korean designs specifically Hyundai doesnt seem to be the right direction for the Luxo brand like Mercedes.

I love Korean designs especially the ones by Kia & Hyundai. But would I want similar design philosophy for a car like SL65 AMG, hell no.

Let me put it this way, would you like the New Sonata if it looked like the Etios or Logan or Dzire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 2720582)
1.) 250kph is pretty lame for a car of this spec don't you think?

That should be electronically limited. Many manufacturers do it, but I cannot think of many reasons. May be the handling is bad above 250 kmph. May be the tyre wear and tear increases multifold. Or may be it will cost much more to design better brakes.