Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 09:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

Video : Fatal Ferrari 599 GTO crash in Singapore

Mods: Please help to move this to appropriate section, if required.

Note: Slightly OT, as the link below is not from an accident in India. Thought it is worth sharing, more as awareness on the danger of driving through red signal.

The accident happened (here in Singapore) in the early hours of Saturday morning (12th May), when a Ferrari collided with a Taxi (Hyundai Sonata). A motorbike rider also got caught in the mix. The driver of the Ferrari and the taxi passenger (in her 20s) died on the spot, and the taxi driver succumbed to head injury a day later. The motorbike rider (injury to spinal cord) and the co-passenger in the Ferrari are still in the hospital.

The impact of the crash was so high that the Sonata’s engine was recovered around 30m away from the collision spot.

The link contains actual footage of the collision. Viewer discretion advised.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 23:32   #2
BHPian

Ferrari crashes in Singapore

One of the biggest headlines in Singapore last week was this terrible crash. 5 people have been killed. Such a sad news both for the human and the car enthusiast.

Old 16th May 2012, 00:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ferrari crashes in Singapore

When I was last updated, it was three fatalities, the Ferrari driver, the Taxi driver and the Taxi passenger and two in A&E, Ferrari co-passenger and a motorbike rider. Have they been lost too?

Also, the car is a Ferrari 599 GTO. One of only 599 ever made. This is the n'th 599 GTO wreck I've come across in the recent past, so I guess Clarkson was right after all when he said that this car is virtually uncontrollable.

Here is a pic of the car from motorauthority
Attached Thumbnails
Video : Fatal Ferrari 599 GTO crash in Singapore-wreckageofaferrari599gtoinvolvedincrashinsingapore_100390408_m.jpg  

Last edited by Scorcher : 16th May 2012 at 00:13.
Old 16th May 2012, 07:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
When I was last updated, it was three fatalities, the Ferrari driver, the Taxi driver and the Taxi passenger and two in A&E, Ferrari co-passenger and a motorbike rider. Have they been lost too?
It’s still three fatalities – the Ferrari driver, a China national, the taxi driver, and the passenger (Japanese nationality). The motorbike rider and the co-passenger from the Ferrari are still in hospital.
Old 16th May 2012, 07:25   #5
Mik
BHPian

I am very surprised. My idea of singapore was that its an ultra disciplined country with very heavy police action. Jumping red lights at such crazy speeds right in the city!
This accident is eerily similar to the Gurgaon BMW-Indigo crash.
Old 16th May 2012, 07:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I am very surprised. My idea of singapore was that its an ultra disciplined country with very heavy police action. Jumping red lights at such crazy speeds right in the city!
It is indeed much disciplined, with good road manners. And you normally don’t see any police regulating traffic on the roads here. This is a case where the Ferrari guy probably did not see the signal or couldn’t slam the brakes on time.
When I looked at the video my first thought was, how lucky was the occupant in the other car (with the front-mounted camera). A slight delay in taking off from the signal (compared to the taxi), probably saved his/her life.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Well, questions are being asked on who his passenger was since the Driver's wife who is expecting their second child was at home.

Whaat was sick was that an eye witness reported that some person walked up to the taxi passenger who was sinking and calmly pocketed all her money which was scattered due to the impact
Old 16th May 2012, 12:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It’s still three fatalities – the Ferrari driver, a China national, the taxi driver, and the passenger (Japanese nationality). The motorbike rider and the co-passenger from the Ferrari are still in hospital.
After posting that, I read elsewhere that the Fezza co-passenger too succumbed to her injuries. So the only survivor is the rider, who sustained spinal injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Whaat was sick was that an eye witness reported that some person walked up to the taxi passenger who was sinking and calmly pocketed all her money which was scattered due to the impact
OT: I had a similar experience, In 1999 we got a call from a local police station that one of our trucks laden with granite has toppled over in the middle of the night and the driver and cleaner is seriously injured. The people who hospitalized them reported that a white Maruti sedan (Esteem/1000) stopped at the accident site and fled with the money from the injured driver's pocket. Ugh!

They pocketed close to 50k and didn't even bother helping the locals to hospitalize the injured, who later succumbed to their injuries.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, questions are being asked on who his passenger was since the Driver's wife who is expecting their second child was at home.
There is some information on the co-passenger now. Here is the link.
Mystery Ferrari passenger identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
What was sick was that an eye witness reported that some person walked up to the taxi passenger who was sinking and calmly pocketed all her money which was scattered due to the impact
Yes, quite sad indeed. Apparently, the folks gathered around got hold of him, and he was not able to get away with the money (around SGD 300).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
After posting that, I read elsewhere that the Fezza co-passenger too succumbed to her injuries. So the only survivor is the rider, who sustained spinal injuries.
I guess that’s wrong information. As per the link above, she is still in the hospital. Not sure if there are further updates.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:59   #10
BHPian

That's scary stuff especially to happen in a place like Singapore.

FATE - You never know when it hits you! The taxi guy who captured the footage was really lucky. The occupants of the other taxi that got hit and the biker were not. Fate!!

My wife and I had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari F430 on the Singapore GP street circuit for 30 minutes (with some traffic) when we were there a couple of months ago - it was done through a company called Ultimate Supercar Drive Experience near Marina Bay sands.

I think they'd have to stop their operations after this. Although they mentioned that they pay some ridiculous amount on insurance to run their business.
R32_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 13:01   #11
BHPian

That is sad. What a waste of money and power.

The Ferrari in the video actually took off with the impact. Another question is how come the speed sensors on the road not detect the speeding Ferrari?
Old 16th May 2012, 13:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
That's scary stuff especially to happen in a place like Singapore.

FATE - You never know when it hits you! The taxi guy who captured the footage was really lucky. The occupants of the other taxi that got hit and the biker were not. Fate!!
True, it was really a narrow escape for the car with dashboard mounted camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
My wife and I had the opportunity to drive a Ferrari F430 on the Singapore GP street circuit for 30 minutes (with some traffic) when we were there a couple of months ago - it was done through a company called Ultimate Supercar Drive Experience near Marina Bay sands.

I think they'd have to stop their operations after this. Although they mentioned that they pay some ridiculous amount on insurance to run their business.
I don’t think Ultimate Supercars will have to stop their operations here. As you may know, accidents are quite rare here, and that too involving super cars are even lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
The Ferrari in the video actually took off with the impact. Another question is how come the speed sensors on the road not detect the speeding Ferrari?
Well, the accident spot is a quite a busy one, and there is good amount of traffic flow even in late nights. Even with speed sensors detecting this, nothing much can be done if someone decided to fly off ignoring the red signal.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I am very surprised. My idea of singapore was that its an ultra disciplined country with very heavy police action.
Well..That might be the difference between self-regulation and fear-imposed discipline.
Read somewhere that the rate of crime is less in Singapore due to extreme fear created by the country's laws like lashing and death penalty, and not due to voluntary good conduct of it's citizens.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

Beleive me, the behaviour of Singaporeans is a lot different outside their country. Malaysia has had to crackdown on singapore registered cars flouting rules in Malaysia. They actually now screen cars returning back to Singapore for traffic offences
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

How fast was the ferrari guy then? I am surprised that the Ferrari was not able to protect its occupant. Of course, its very bad that people in the taxi died due to one reckless car.

Dont know who Mr Ee is (should be someone among the authorities).

"Gerard Ee rejects call for curbs on fast cars
Mr Ee felt that instituting harsher regulations every time a particular type of car is involved in a fatal crash will only make matters worse."

Alas, our SC would have thought otherwise !!

Last edited by srishiva : 16th May 2012 at 15:33.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed