Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 14:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Jay Leno's got a Tata Nano--Video Included !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
OT : Despite having our industries, products and standard of living almost on par with the western world, aren't we Indians still so damn proud when a westerner endorses our products!

India has some of the highest end cars around and I doubt the manufacturers or people from the country of that brand even bat an eyelid about it.

</OT>
Indians are proud of everything 'phoren'. We want a phoren education, phoren job, phoren clothes, phoren biwi; heck we even get our toothpastes endorsed by phoren organizations, those we've never heard of in our lives. Will you buy a toothpaste endorsed by British Dental Association or Indian National Health Association? (If at all these associations exist) Which one will you and to a larger extent, the Indian rural market trust? This might be a perception led decision, but marketers know how things sell, and they are doing just that.

In terms of evolution of these machines, westerners have an edge. It was Britain and Germany that saw the birth of icons like the Rolls Royce and the Mercedes Benz, respectively. They are much ahead in the value chain. Naturally, they wouldn't feel blessed or excited or even proud of it if an Indian or a Brazilian or a Russian is seen driving it. We, on the other hand, belong to a very practicalilty oriented market and very limited means. We feel proud if one of us is able to buy something that is beyond reach for most of the Indians. That not only elevates our social status but also gives us the sense of achievement, which ultimately changes our perception towards Indian-made items.

But, there is also a reverse phenomenon. Yoga, for example is an Indian concept. And there are loads of instances where these very same people from western culture feel proud of being connected to something Indian. They boast of being associated with some Ashram or some Guru to take them on to the divine path.

As for Jay Leno getting a Nano, it's a worthy car in the hands of a well-known car collector. That's it. His being a weterner and an American does not matter.
Old 28th May 2012, 19:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

A new car for below 2.5L with great AC, fuel efficiency, perfect size for that congested city manouvres, great ride and acceptable handling and space backed up by cheap maintenance-is that the future? Yep, it certainly is. The nano 2012 is a great improvement and easier to live with and for an average Indian city deweller/ commuter, it makes perfect sense. Perception has killed it but in the recent months, its sales performance has been steadily improving. And that perfect dual colour combo just looks smashing.

Congrats to Jay Leno on this car!
Old 28th May 2012, 22:11   #48
BANNED

True

It looks like he's enjoying the car to the limits.

The car has reached a fantastic collection

Its indeed a proud moment for we Indians.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th May 2012 at 00:23. Reason: fixed url
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 22:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Nice video and Jay is as usual funny. Not one discouraging word. The car costs half of what his suit costs !
Old 29th May 2012, 01:05   #50
BHPian

"The AC of the Nano is better than a McLaren" Tata should use this tagline for the Nano Jokes apart, yeah a proud moment for Tata and us Indians. Looks good in white and with those racing strips... First time in my life I found a sub 5-lakh tata drool-worthy
Old 29th May 2012, 11:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Source: Youtube:
The video shows the decal being affixed to the car at the factory itself. Tata Nanos official accessory site shows some decals. http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotor...ano-decal1.jpg Does any body know whether it is possible to customize the graphics as per own taste, or do we have to choose the one from the choices available. Also does it get affixed at the factory itself or the TASS does it at the dealership?
Old 29th May 2012, 12:20   #52
BHPian

The Nano in my opinion is a fantastic car, there are only 2 things that TATA needs to address in my view, first the boot door should open, and second the car needs to be given a Power steering. Once these 2 things are added it just can’t be beaten as an overall package at that price point.

Today if TATA comes out with a Diesel version especially after the recent Petrol price hike, it’s going to sell like real hot cakes.

On a lighter note and off topic, Enfield Bullet should think about bringing the Diesel Bullet back too.
Old 8th June 2012, 00:24   #53
BHPian

Respect! Respect to Jay Leno! And Respect to Tata for making such a wonderful car!

So here's the Nano's new tagline: My A/C is better than the A/C in a Mclaren F1!
Old 8th June 2012, 01:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Its indeed a proud moment for Tata that their product is appreciated by an enthusiast like Jay Leno. If had a car collection, I'd also have added a custom painted Nano to it. Its good to see that the Nano is emerging as an collector's car in other countries too.

Jay Leno's Garage - 2012 Tata Nano: From Bollywood to Hollywood | Tata
Old 8th June 2012, 02:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am not a fan of talk shows, I have had my share of Oprah, Jay Leno and David Letterman and found them to be just a time pass at best and very very artificial. And I admit that I had no idea that the square jawed 'Stand up" comedian was a car enthusiast (pl don't take it personal Jay). Yeah, everyone who is rich can have a garage, but only an enthusiast can have a great garage. Now, as I said, I have no idea about the cars he owns, so I will keep away from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So when he saw the Nano, I'm sure he said, "Now that's something I don't mind having in my garage!"

And when one of the World's most recognized petrol-heads says that, it's certainly a proud moment for Tata and for us Indians.
I am sure he said it on TV and for the TV. Why are we going ga ga about that ? Even JC says so many things for the TV, they are paid to say these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
True

It looks like he's enjoying the car to the limits.

The car has reached a fantastic collection

Its indeed a proud moment for we Indians.
A proud moment for us Indians had already happened with the same TATA establishing their presence all over the world not only in automobiles, but in a lot many other industries as well. Why jump and shout over one Leno buying a Nano (maybe gifted or to be used as an advert). I was so proud and happy when I saw pics of our own Scorpios and safaris in US in this very forum, slugging it out in extreme cold conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
So here's the Nano's new tagline: My A/C is better than the A/C in a Mclaren F1!
Do you seriously think that people buying a Mclaren F1 are looking for a good AC ?
Old 8th June 2012, 02:48   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am sure he said it on TV and for the TV. Why are we going ga ga about that ? Even JC says so many things for the TV, they are paid to say these things.
Point and agreed.

There is little scope for authenticity in today's World.

But I'd still say, Leno is one of those highly respectable car-nuts. He is genuinely a car guy and he is the sort who would like every kind of car in his garage. I don't think it's a publicity stunt. He makes the World aware of every car he has and every new car he acquires.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 04:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Relax, John.

1. I do not know Jay Leno personally. But, having watched umpteen automobile related videos of him, I can tell he's a genuine car enthusiast and atleast, with cars, he speaks his mind.

2. This is not the first time that the Nano has been raved about by a western auto expert. Autocar UK's tester has mostly positive things to say about it.
nitrous is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 17:43   #58
BHPian

There's no doubt about it, the Nano's definitely going places. It's been displayed at a few museums outside India and now Jay's got one, no matter what his intentions are.

As much as people try to make fun of people riding around in Nanos, secretly they wouldn't mind owning one themselves. Well, that's almost everyone.

I have driven the little car and I have to say that all my preconceived notions went out the window (literally as the example in question was sans an airconditioner!). It's pretty peppy and does it's intended job very well.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
2. This is not the first time that the Nano has been raved about by a western auto expert. Autocar UK's tester has mostly positive things to say about it.
Tata Nano driven by Autocar.co.uk - YouTube
I've just realised that this just not any Autocar UK tester, but Steve Cropley. He's been the Chief Editor of Autocar for the past 20 years! Well, that's a lot of credibility.

OT: I'm meeting him tomorrow.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 12:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant story this! The Nano is a great little car which deserves to sell much more. I hope the new Diesel motor deliver just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT: I'm meeting him tomorrow.
Do ask him about that Nano drive.

Most Viewed