Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 00:58   #1
BHPian

Behold the Tesla Model S

Sweet looking thing, you'll have to admit. Kinda looks like a Jag XF from a lot of the angles.

Here's the bare facts:

POWER:
  • 362 bhp (416 bhp if you choose the optional Performance Pack)
  • 440 NM of torque (600 NM with the optional Performance Pack)
Apparently 0 - 100 is 4.4seconds.

BATTERY CAPACITY / CHARGE:
There's three options available -
  • A 40 kWH pack, which should get you about 160 miles / 250 km
  • A 60 kWH pack, which should get you about 230 miles / 360 km
  • An 85 kWH pack, which should get you about 265 miles / 425 km
These are EPA figures. Tesla's figures are (obviously) about 10% higher.

TOYS
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on the dash including your climate controls, is on a 17" NVIDIA Touch Screen that takes up the entire center console.
You've got nav, a web browser, massive multimedia, Nappa leather, Alacantra, you name it.

HOW MUCH
40 kwH: $50,000
60 kwH: $60,000
85 kwH: $70,000
Those are the prices AFTER the $7500 rebate that's sponsored by the US federal government. The optional performance pack costs another $10,000.

As a petrolhead, I'm not so sure about this thing. I'm glad there are serious efforts to find alternative sources of energy for transportation, but I
I have to admit that if I lived in the US and wanted a midsized performance sedan, my $80,000 would be spent on an M5 ($90,000 actually). Or a Shelby Mustang 500GT.

Behold the Tesla Model S-original.jpg

Behold the Tesla Model S-062212teslatestdrive163edit.jpg
Attached Images

ghostrider is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 12:38   #2
BANNED

Re: Behold the Tesla Model S

Seems that it is now a finished (or at least near finished) project.
Old 25th June 2012, 13:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Seems that it is now a finished (or at least near finished) project.
Yup. And it looks sweet, apparently it's a hoot to drive, and I have no doubt it's well kitted out.
But... it's an all-electric car, not a hybrid. Which means you're always driving with one-eye on the range-meter, and that'll curtail your freedom as well as suck the fun out of driving.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hats off to Tesla for being persistent. At a time when consolidation is rampant in the auto industry, here's a small independent launching what is amongst the most futuristic sedans on American roads. The company has had its fair share of controversy (with people, money et al), but it's nice to see the continually-delayed Tesla S finally roll out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Which means you're always driving with one-eye on the range-meter
Not really. I remember a reputable source mentioning that 80% of the world drives under 40 miles a day. 160 miles is more than enough for 4 - 5 days of driving for most of us, and if you drive more, the option to charge it every night is always available. If you drive more than 160 miles / 250 kms a day, well, it's time to stop driving and start flying (planes or train).

I'd driven the Nissan Leaf Electric (link) and it felt like any other, torquey hatchback. The only difference : No sound . It was eerily silent.

Battery tech is also continually improving. Batteries that can take you 1,000 kms on a full charge are probably not too far away.

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2012 at 16:08.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 16:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hats off to Tesla for being persistent. At a time when consolidation is rampant in the auto industry, here's a small independent launching what is amongst the most futuristic sedans on American roads. The company has had its fair share of controversy (with people, money et al), but it's nice to see the continually-delayed Tesla S finally roll out.
Absolutely. They did receive a lot of help though from the federal government, but I don't begrudge them that at all.

Quote:
Not really. I remember a reputable source mentioning that 80% of the world drives under 40 miles a day. 160 miles is more than enough for 4 - 5 days of driving for most of us, and if you drive more, the option to charge it every night is always available.
Agreed, but somehow there's a lot more peace of mind knowing that if my regular internal combustion engine runs out of fuel all I need to do is nip into the nearest fuel bunker and refill. With all-electric cars you absolutely have to get home. The Nissan Leaf (I think) at least uses a conventional plug apparatus so you could plug it in anywhere. The Tesla uses something proprietary and more heavy duty that you'd have to get fitted at home, so chances are you won't find recharge points everywhere you go. I'm not sure about this though...

Quote:
Battery tech is also continually improving. Batteries that can take you 1,000 kms on a full charge are probably not too far away.
Exactly, and thats the time when I think they'll become a truly viable alternative. Right now though, I don't think all-electric is the answer.

Intelligent hybrids where you have a normal gasoline engine connected to a generator that creates electricity which drives the car (like the Fisker Karma) have the best of both worlds because they're driven by electricity which is created by regular fuel...but the benefits are (a) this is a much more efficient way of using gas, (b) near-zero emissions, and (c) the insane torque of an electric motor (and the eery quietness).

So if I had a Fisker Karma (I wish) then I would pretty much never need to worry about being stranded... regardless of how many miles I needed to crunch in a day.

I guess the bottom line is I'm happy we're developing alternatives to fossil-fuel powered internal combustion engines... and I agree that soon we'll have battery packs that have a greater capacity, a longer shelf-life, and a smaller form factor....maybe in the next 5-6 years or so. Till then, all-electric cars have some way to go.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd July 2012 at 23:03. Reason: please read the note in your post, thanks
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
AMEN to that,Electric is the future and its high time to say bye bye to fossil fuel.

The impressive factor of Tesla Model S apart from its air suspension will be the huge 17" touch screen (not sure why they have given air vent in the front) The low end model with 40 kwh for a range of 258kms with a top speed of 177km/h is impressive. I hope to see more and more companies investing in green zone.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:31   #7
BHPian

I should have been surprised if this automotive forum did not mention about the Tesla. Saves my job of starting up a new thread. Phew!

So here's some news for you all - http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ars-illegally/

After reading the news, I went over to the Tesla Motors webpage and was stunned by the variety of options to customize one's car.

But, the price is still too steep IMO and that too, after the rebate!

I'm not sure whether owning a car like this would help me reap tax benefits every year or is it just a one time thing?
Old 30th October 2012, 19:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
AMEN to that,Electric is the future and its high time to say bye bye to fossil fuel.
Err, not in the current scenario. The bulk of electricity production is still through fossil fuels only, only a different one in this case. We might create better and better electricity-run cars, but our dependency on fossil fuels is far from over.

But this is and I digress.
Old 31st October 2012, 03:01   #9
BHPian

What is cool to note is that companies like Fisker and Tesla are trying to make cool looking and fun to drive electric cars and they have not taken the Toyota Prius route.The Tesla S sure looks great and has very interesting elements like its beautiful interior.The touchsreen in particular is an idea which I see all other manufacturers emalating very soon,maybe the Tesla S touchscreen and UI is what the iphone's touchscreen and UI was to the cellphone industry(Android boys don't flame me! I use an android too).I really think it is the way forward in car interior design.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

A friend has booked his Tesla S and is on the waiting list since last year. His booking number was 843 or something and he was promised a 2012 model. To his surprise he has been upgraded to a 2013. A hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money for an electric car is what I thought initially, but after seeing the Car and Driver Review, I was rather too impressed!

Here's the link :

9thsphinx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

For whoever wants to know more, the Tesla Model S has been named the 'Car of the Year' by Automobile Magazine. Tesla has sold about 250 Model S sedans till date and expects to sell about 3200 by the end of the year! The technology that goes behind making this car and the performance that is achieved, not sacrificing on creature comforts is nothing short of state-of-the-art.

Here's a link to Tesla S news on CNN Money:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/01/auto...Latest+News%29
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

The biggest concern with any form of electric driven car is recharge time with the car. Presently refuelling or recharging a petrol car, if you will, is a one minute job. Either we need recharge stations which are super quick (5 minutes or so) or we need a standard battery pack that is easily changed.

An alternative that seems to be neglected is the option of having some kind of solar cells or even solar paint on the car, so that the car battery is being recharged while out in the sun or even where there is light.
Old 3rd November 2012, 00:23   #13
Team-BHP Support

It will be very interesting to see a shoot-out between the Tesla Model S and the Fisker Karma. I love the way the Fisker looks and the Tesla is just as good, if not better looking!

The problem with the Tesla is it runs only on an electric motor while the Fisker's electric motor is supported by a less-than-perfectly-refined Pontiac engine that churns out in excess slightly under 300 horsepower I think. Apart from little gizmos like the solar-paneled roof that powers the electronic goodies inside the cabin!

The Tesla S looks the business! It looks like a cross between a Jag XF and a Maserati!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
AMEN to that,Electric is the future and its high time to say bye bye to fossil fuel..
Pure electric power is certainly not the future of automobiles. Electric cars will run out of juice eventually and it will take hours to rejuvenate them unlike cars that run on fossil-fuels. You could go to a bunk and fill it up in 2 minutes and be on your way again!

I believe Honda is headed in the right direction with the FCX Clarity. That said, I like where the future of cars is headed. Can't wait for the Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid!
Old 8th November 2012, 21:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

This has to be one of the best reviews i have ever seen !
And as Csaba Csere said in the review, this is one electric car i want to own.
Enigmatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 09:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Here's a drag race between the Tesla and the M5! Surprised much?!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 20th November 2012 at 09:31.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed