Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 12:26   #1
BHPian

The Mighty Mobius - A $6,000 Car

Didn't see another thread on this. Interesting development - BBC News - TEDGlobal: The low-tech $6,000 car made for Africa
'72 Bullet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 13:08   #2
BHPian

re: The Mighty Mobius - A $6,000 Car

Interesting. Any idea how it would cost the company to build this car? I ask this to try and judge the quantum of tax and profit included in the price.
I do hope that the company succeeds in the venture.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:28   #3
BHPian

re: The Mighty Mobius - A $6,000 Car

Interesting read.
In fact did a bit of googling and here is the company website. Mobius Motors | Mobius Two

Like their vehicles, should have kept the website light and easy to load too.

So tell me, and the people-in-the-know on this forum may be able to answer this, our very own Mahindra Bolero or Thar are about $10,000 equivalent. But given that there is a 40% duty and taxes in a new vehicle, can a similarly stripped down Mahindra chassis not do this Mobius thing equally, (and more reliably) well?

And at a similar price bracket?
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 15:21   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mighty Mobius - A $6,000 Car

Yikes! Full marks to his entrepreneurial spirit, but a huge thumbs down to the jugaad that any mechanic in a backyard can build.

Want to see a real, competent and solidly engineered vehicle for less than $6,000? Click here.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 17:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
So tell me, and the people-in-the-know on this forum may be able to answer this, our very own Mahindra Bolero or Thar are about $10,000 equivalent. But given that there is a 40% duty and taxes in a new vehicle, can a similarly stripped down Mahindra chassis not do this Mobius thing equally, (and more reliably) well? And at a similar price bracket?
Dear Automation - our vehicles suit such countries extremely well, where the only alternative means of transportation is walking. There is a small problem when you go to do business with such countries. They do not have the money to pay you. Its that simple!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Something like the Mahindra commander DI (4 cutouts, no doors) would be perfect for Africa. Do they still make it?
Old 29th June 2012, 18:29   #7
BHPian

Point taken Behram Sir, but i feel if a local assembly can be put together, a better, safer alternative can be there.

I have seen some of the Kenyan village life, and spoken to a number of vehicle owners in Nairobi, how atrocious the second hand/ex-Dubai vehicle prices are. Mostly unreliable and unaffordable.

But even for a local alternative, this Mobius Two seems more like a 'contraption' than a transport. Cheap, yes but not confidence exuding.

@Mpower, something like what you said should be possible if effort is put in.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:54   #8
BHPian

If something is cheap, it is most likely not as safe as a something that is expensive. With no doors, no airbags, and no adaptive cruise control, folks in India would say they would never buy one, but when it's the first thing that can travel over their roads, they haven't got a choice - it's what they can afford to buy. It doesn't matter to them that it hasn't got safety features that a Toyota LandCruiser does.
Old 29th June 2012, 19:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Something like the Mahindra commander DI (4 cutouts, no doors) would be perfect for Africa. Do they still make it?
Thats the 750. I think it's not made in India anymore.
Old 29th June 2012, 20:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

Maybe its just me, but Mobius Two looks quite attractive! If I was living in the Maasai Mara, Mobius Motors would have got my cheque!

For some reason, M&M and Tata Motors haven't been able to crack the African market. Bajaj Auto is the only Indian automotive company that sells a decent amount of vehicles in Africa - worth close to $500 million last year I think
Old 30th June 2012, 18:04   #11
BHPian

Full marks to this spirit! Even I liked Mobius two. For the African markets, I feel many Indian products are suitable for them, noteworthy are Tata Nano, Indica etc.

Such attempt to make cars that are an alternative to walking is appreciatable. But, I wonder if a car worth $6000 have doors or not! But, If every necessary thing is provided, I wonder how would they make profit considering it is a new company and can make only 50 units a year!

S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 30th June 2012 at 18:06.
Old 30th June 2012, 18:28   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
But given that there is a 40% duty and taxes in a new vehicle, can a similarly stripped down Mahindra chassis not do this Mobius thing equally, (and more reliably) well?

And at a similar price bracket?
The Mobius was conceived and hopes to succeed with a genuine intention to help people who are in a desperate situation due to their circumstances.

Mahindra exists purely as a greedy money making company who is still trying to squeeze what little more they can from 40 year old dies which they probably brought with Govt subsidy.

Can you see a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Want to see a real, competent and solidly engineered vehicle for less than $6,000? Click here.
Is it fair to compare Mobius with Tata who is able to make the Nano at that price point thanks in a large part to the numerous component suppliers. I am not discounting Tata's efforts in the least, but it's not Tata alone that makes the Nano possible.

The Mobius literally is made in a local workshop with no supplier support. But still better Jugaad than some "Global" players in India are doing.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks