Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 02:04   #1
BHPian

WATCH OUT: BMW stolen in 3 minutes without a key

Just came across this thread wherein thieves managed to steal a BMW 1M within 3 minutes without the key. All they did was access the car, then the OBD port in the footwell and reprogrammed a blank key fob using a rogue device. There were 300 BMWs stolen in one month within a single county (state) in UK.

I am pretty sure this won't take long to come to India. It has been suggested that the rogue device is available for about 8000 Euros in Bulgaria. If you own or know someone who owns a BMW, do take a look:

Video: My BMW 1M Coupe Stolen in 3 Min as Part of Recent UK BMW Theft Spree Using OBD - BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Source: 1addicts.com and youtube.com

Mods: If I've placed this in the wrong thread, please do move.

Last edited by Brabus E V12 : 7th July 2012 at 02:06.
Brabus E V12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 11:21   #2
BHPian

Re: WATCH OUT: BMW stolen in 3 minutes without a key

Thank god I'm not that rich to afford a BMW! These thieves are have started to remind me of Bond or Bourne!!. They come up with such innovative ideas to steal cars. Some say they are better off using that same intellect to get into a good college and do something good with their lives, especially if the device costs 8000 Euros, they can afford the fees too!!

But it is true isn't it, that there is no excitement in normal life as we live! So BMW owners - get extra locks
Old 8th July 2012, 03:48   #3
BHPian

That was one scary video. 3 minutes and she's gone.
How can a new key fob be reprogrammed just like that with an aftermarket device :o 300 and BMW is still in their sheets !

Hardly any time we witness this in India with the way cars are just parked on the road. Hard nights for BMW owners.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:49   #4
BHPian

This must be a glitch in the software that controls the car thereby enabling the thieves to hack into them and get a new key fob programmed. Im worried if this device can therefore be used to reprogram smart keys or cards then many other vehicles can be stolen.
What if they are able to turn off the immobiliser too in other cars?

Scary for all car owners not just BMWs.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:02   #5
BHPian

Here are the technical details of the vulnerability that was used to pwn (own) the BMW is less than three minutes:

Affected vehicles: X5, X6, M3, 1M

http://osvdb.org/83707

I am not sure if the thieves here in India are that savvy...but since the kits are now being shipped out of china, be forewarned. More reading:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09...ar_theft_hack/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks