Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2015, 17:09   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
Driving an M car takes getting used to (I certainly did). IMHO, on track you have to engage the DCT and keep at it to explore the legacy of what an M3 really is. Otherwise, I have felt that it drives just like a muscle car, or simply like an M5 -- though that can be a bit fun too.

Can you explain what you did not like about the M mode that you had to switch to D mode?
Its not like i did not like the M Mode its just that i could not cope with changing the gears & keeping the car on track (as its a pretty narrow track) at the same time. So switched to Auto, thats what i meant

Shall upload the video shortly you'l understand what i mean
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 21:56   #92
Team-BHP Support

I too drove the M4, for maybe 15 mins. It was enough to give me first impressions of the car. I set up M1 mode with everything on sport plus, and the traction on MDM (allows more leeway before cutting in). In hindsight I should have left the throttle response a bit more dull, because it was definitely far too sharp.

Having spent a fair amount of time in M cars thanks to friends who own some, it felt right at home. The gearknob will be confusing if it is your first time driving an M. The ride felt as good or bad as a normal 3 series, infact it was much better damped.

Took it on the small track (too small to really enjoy the car at all), and took a few laps at a medium pace in M1 mode. The steering is really really crisp, though it does lack feel like all newer BMWs. Throttle response as mentioned before was too sharp in sport +. The handling seemed very predictable as is expected, though it wasn't as easy to get the tail out as I had thought.

Put it in M2 mode (which I had set up the same as M1 except DSC was off) and I easily managed to get sideways and it was so easy to control thanks to the LSD.

Just messed around a bit more with the car, and then returned it. I wish I could have got some more time with it, but there were other people (Karan) waiting to take it for a spin.

Definitely on my desirable cars list. The perfect size for everyday use, and the perfect amount of power. Must figure out a way to get one soon be it by begging, borrowing or stealing
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:24   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally here the VIDEO of me lapping the BMW M4;

Keep the volume max to hear the glorious exhaust note & the tyres screeching

Simply overwhelmed with the way i was able to carry/maintain the tail out fun (Thanks to the LSD ?) into the tight corners as this was the first time i was driving the car.

Its all in the video, Enjoy !

Last edited by karan561 : 11th May 2015 at 12:27.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 00:34   #94
sAP
BHPian

"Extremely dangerous. I'll have to stop now". Lol.

Enjoyed the video.

What event is this? Did you have to be a BMW owner/customer to be invited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Put it in M2 mode (which I had set up the same as M1 except DSC was off) and I easily managed to get sideways and it was so easy to control thanks to the LSD.
Turned off DSC on an M? That takes some chutzpah. I haven't had the urge to try that in the 12 months I've had mine.

On my 330 in the snow? Heck yeah.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2015 at 10:27. Reason: Merging consecutive posts :)
sAP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 01:10   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Turned off DSC on an M? That takes some chutzpah. I haven't had the urge to try that in the 12 months I've had mine.

On my 330 in the snow? Heck yeah.
The track didn't allow me to go above 2nd gear the way it was set up, so I figured I would try it with DSC off. On a full fledged race track no way I would think about doing it, unless I had driven the car for a fair amount of time.

Try it out with the M. The E series were very, very sharp and predictable. I daresay a little more than the new ones.
Old 21st May 2015, 22:12   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Finally here the VIDEO of me lapping the BMW M4;
Nice Video Karan! Btw, M4 GTS version is confirmed for US with more horses and water injection system. I hope its not too expensive and no roll cage in the back. If I ever plan to buy one which is a dream of-course, I would need those back seats for my kids.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 23:37   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"Extremely dangerous. I'll have to stop now". Lol.

Enjoyed the video.

What event is this? Did you have to be a BMW owner/customer to be invited?

Haha, Glad you enjoyed it

Well this was the BMW Experience tour & was organised by BMW India. Existing & perspective customers were invited for this.

Other than the M4 i drove the X5 & Mini Cooper S too, but only some of us got to drive the M cars though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Nice Video Karan! Btw, M4 GTS version is confirmed for US with more horses and water injection system. I hope its not too expensive and no roll cage in the back. If I ever plan to buy one which is a dream of-course, I would need those back seats for my kids.
Thanks VIPER.

All the best for your future M4, hope that dream is nearer than you think
Old 26th May 2015, 22:59   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Well this was the BMW Experience tour & was organised by BMW India. Existing & perspective customers were invited for this. Other than the M4 i drove the X5 & Mini Cooper S too, but only some of us got to drive the M cars though.
You'er lucky to drift and track an M4 which is a paid option in US; moreover all booked out for next 6 months.
http://www.bmwusa.com/performancecenter#overview
Old 22nd November 2016, 00:05   #99
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW M4 spotted. Found the color too boring.
Attached Thumbnails
The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-picsart_112111.57.14.jpg  

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 20:09   #100
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this BMW M4 in Mumbai the other day.
Attached Thumbnails
The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-dsc_0380.jpg  

The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-dsc_0461.jpg  

//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 02:36   #101
sAP
BHPian

That matte finish looks ominous. I've heard that it is a little harder to clean and maintain. For now, I'll have to stick with the Jerez Black on my E92 M3 (pictured here). Its actually a mix of deep purple and black and is harder to pinpoint as a color especially if you are trying to give a description over the phone to authorities (*wink wink*).

sAP
Attached Thumbnails
The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-img_7653s.jpg  

The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-img_7612s.jpg  

sAP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 01:52   #102
sAP
BHPian

Saying Goodbye to my E92 M3

Last month I said goodbye to a really exciting car I had the privilege of owning and driving for several years -- my 2009 BMW M3 Coupe in Jerez Black.

In this pic, the salesman is making sure there aren't any of my personal belongings left in the trunk. This was officially my last look at her. She had a little over 107,000 exhilarating miles.
Attached Thumbnails
The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-img_e3665.jpg  

sAP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 04:38   #103
sAP
BHPian

New acquisition

My new acquisition -- a 2015 F82 M4 with M-DCT in Sapphire Black.

First pic was taken at the dealer before I took delivery. Came with dealer plates and 19" style 437 wheels in silver. Bought the black version of the same wheels from another M4 owner on Ebay.So now the silvers are retired for summer use and the black ones have winter tires on (though these pics were taken before the winters went on).
Attached Thumbnails
The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-img_s_e3734.jpg  

The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-img_s_3729.jpg  

The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!-img_s_3724.jpg  

sAP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 05:12   #104
sAP
BHPian

Re: A bit of a disappointing exhaust note

Quote:
I had one of these pull up next to my E92 M3 at a gas station. I didn't realize it was an M3. (Hmm wonder why... HINT HINT)

So after filling up gas I fired up my V8 and moved on to the automated car wash and waited in line behind another car and turned off my engine. After a minute or so, I see this pull up again behind me.

What are the odds of 2 random black M3's lining up to a car wash at the same time of day?

I started looking it over in my rear view mirror and noticed the M bumper panels. Well, must be a 335 or something with M body panels, I think to myself.

In a few minutes, the car ahead of me moves ahead as the booth becomes free. I press the start button on my M3 and it fires up the monster and the engine goes through the cat heat cycle. I engage and move up one car space. The engine then idles to a smooth V8 burble.

Now, the driver in the M3 behind me decides he longer wants to wait and drives out of the line and past me.

Thats when I noticed the 4 exhaust pipes on its rear and realized that it was an indeed an M3, not a 335 with M body panels (which has only 2).

I was a bit intrigued as I stared at it and then quickly appalled that it did not sound anything like a special car, let alone an M3. No burble, no rasp, no nothing. D-uh!

That day I was glad that I was the driver of this car and not the other.
After selling my E92 M3 for an F82 M4 last month, I was reminded of the above post I made years ago. So I tracked it down in order to post a follow-up.

The M4's default mode on startup is "Efficient" for the engine output, "Sport" for the damper setting and "Sport" for the steering setting. In the Efficient mode, the exhaust note is really quiet. I am guessing that this was the case I heard when the M4 passed by my M3 at the gas station/car wash years ago.

PS: In the "Sport" and "Sport Plus" engine modes, the exhaust note is throaty and fairly loud, though it by no means compares to the screamer that my E92 M3 was. But the newer M4 makes up for it in it's instant torque and power delivery.
sAP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:02   #105
BHPian

Re: New acquisition

Quote:
My new acquisition.
Hearty congratulations on the new purchase ! The difference in decibels must take some getting used to

Would be really interesting to hear your perspective on living (and having lived) with these 2 M cars and what you feel are the trade offs between the two.
Ash_vtec is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed