Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 18:07   #1
Team-BHP Support

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-528994_10150634959538511_1698722342_n.jpg

The MINI Cooper has been around for a while now. When BMW revived the brand in the early 2000s, they gave the World a car that stayed true to its traditions of being a fun-to-drive, sprightly and appealing. However, they injected a fair dose of pizzazz by garnishing it with touches that made it more of a lifestyle car rather than a mundane hatch.

The early 2000s (R50-R53) Cooper S was powered by a supercharged motor that produced 170 horses.

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-minicoopertyumtuy.jpg

Spot the difference *winks*

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-06k0e534808299f.jpeg

*Note* Pictures for reference have been taken from the MINI Facebook page.

Later in the decade, a new one was designed (R-56) - from ground-up. The engine was derived from Peugeot and was a great motor. The supercharger made way for an all-new turbocharger. Power was bumped-up by a handful, but the most significant changes were made to the exterior of the car. No body-panel was carried over. Everything was brand-new, even the key-fob!

New body-styles were conceptualized (The Countryman, the Coupe, the Roadster..) Track-based versions made it to the showrooms like the John Cooper Works and JCW Challenge variant.

The next-generation Cooper isn't far off from hitting the assembly-line. A 2014-2015 unveiling / production is on the cards.

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooper4.jpg

The new Cooper will be powered by a host of interesting engines. It is rumored that the 4-pot 2 liter twin-scroll turbocharged 240 horsepower lump from the BMW 328i might find its way into the Cooper S. The Cooper should get the naturally-aspirated version of the same engine. There is even a 3-pot mill - straight from the grape-vine - that should find its way into the 'One' I presume.

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooper3.jpg

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooper2.jpg

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooper.jpg

It's said that the Mini hatch would share its underpinnings with the 1-Series.

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooperinterior3.jpg

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooperinterior2.jpg

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooperinterior.jpg

The car will be presumably larger. Albeit marginally. It looks like it's been given a larger over-hang and that isn't particularly good news. I'm hoping that it's just the camouflage that's adding to the bulk at the front. Some of the interior's quirk has been lost as well, going by the spy-shots of the interior (I loved the key-fob and the push-start button in the R56. The new one has a toggle-switch for a start-stop) Not a great move, IMO - largely because one can hit that toggle by mistake when trying to use the other switch-gear around it. Hopefully, the engineers would have thought this through and are working on a solution.

The large centrally-positioned speedo has been moved as well. I'm going to miss that, personally.

*NOTE The steering-wheel in this test-mule is from a BMW. Expect a proper 'MINI' steering-wheel when it hits production.

Source

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th July 2012 at 19:04. Reason: Adding content. Thanks Biju!
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 18:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled

Thanks Suhaas… So the rumours are indeed correct – the massive speedometer dial is getting replaced by the infotainment system (not very happy with that change)

And there is a buzz that there could be a 5-door variant as well, to make the Mini more family friendly.
Old 4th August 2012, 09:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

2013 Mini Cooper Spy Shots

Source: MotorAuthority

MINI, along with parent company BMW, is working on a whole new set of models which will be based on the new front wheel drive technology developed by BMW. The new 2013 MINI Cooper will be one of these cars and is expected to be launched at the end of this year while it will be available at showrooms in early 2013.

The spy shots reveal a more aggressive look, a more sharply steeped A-pillar and a slightly wider front. The front grille appears to be a little wider and is placed at a lower position than the current model. At the rear, the new tail-light graphic reveals a large circular design.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100390004_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100390005_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100390006_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100390009_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100397954_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100397955_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100397956_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100397957_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100397959_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100397960_l.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2013minicooperspyshots_100397961_l.jpg  

Last edited by dZired : 4th August 2012 at 09:29.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 10:50   #4
BHPian

Really, the new car looks better in camouflage as for now. The biggest change I notice is the replacement of the speedometer with a new Idrive system. Hope it makes it to indian shores with a manual gearbox and a diesel mill. Sure, BMW have left no stone unturned to make Mini a lifestyle car, an icon and a go-kart! Let's wait and see.

S@ndy
Old 6th August 2012, 11:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

The 2014 Mini Cooper reveals more of itself. Some points to be noted:
  • This is the naturally-aspirated Cooper (Justacoop) and not the turbocharged 'S' variant
  • The position of the single-pipe exhaust has been changed. It used to be on the right hand side and now it's on the left of the bumper
  • More of the tail-lights have been revealed
  • Those wing-mirrors look very weirdly interesting. Not sure if it's part of the camouflage or if it's a new design-cue
  • The windscreen now rakes at an angle greater than the out-going R56 Mini's.
  • The front overhang is HUGE and rather disappointing. Minis are known for their short overhangs courtesy the wheels being positioned at the extreme corners. The front overhang looks awkward IMO

Source
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-newminicooper1.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-newminicooper2.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-newminicooper3.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-newminicooper4.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-newminicooper5.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-newminicooper6.jpg  

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-newminicooper7.jpg  

suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 18:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Surprise! BMW / MINI are developing a long-wheel-base 5-door version of the iconic little hatchback.

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minitraveller.jpg

High points:
  • Slated for 2014 launch and rumored to sport the 'Traveller' badge
  • Two extra doors plus longer wheel-base should improve interior space and make the Mini more family friendly.
  • The car will have a higher roof line just like the Clubman
  • The increased wheelbase length does free up some space for the passengers at the back.
  • The boot opens conventionally, unlike the Clubman's two-part split boot-lid.
  • Should be available in the base and the hot Cooper / Cooper S trims.
  • Cooper S likely to get 2.0 liter TwinScroll turbo-mill from the BMW F30 328i. 3-pot mills quite likely as well.

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minitraveller2.jpg

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minitraveller3.jpg

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minitraveller4.jpg

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minitraveller5.jpg
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 14:54   #7
BHPian

Re: SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Now, 5-door MINI 'Traveller' spotte

Aaaahhhh! Now that has given Mini lovers some strong points to convince their families about the practicality of a Mini. Smart move I must say.
Old 1st July 2013, 23:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Now, 5-door MINI 'Traveller' spotte

2014 Mini caught totally undisguised

SCOOP: 2014 MINI Cooper caught testing! EDIT: Unveiled-2014minicooperstotallyrevealedphotogallery623367.jpg

Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-62336.html
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is that all they could do?

I mean, no doubt people are going to embrace it, and call it a logical evolution, but I beg to differ. Minis should be a step ahead when it comes to design, a somewhat halo character. Let me explain.

It's not a 5 Series or a X5 that could chug along happily decade after decade with sculpting that will never make a lot of sense, the fancy names like flame surfacing make it even worse. Those elements try hard to make the automobile distinctive, but not with a lot of success. One could relate triumphant engineering and aesthetically pleasing looks, perhaps, but there's no legacy worth a dime in those kind of cars.

But a Mini was always different in the way it approached things. It was original. Not a single panel needed flame surfacing to look good. It was honest. BMW had somewhat replicated that originality in the second iteration, considering the fact that it heavily inspired the way a Suzuki Swift, a Kia Soul or a Skoda Fabia looks today. But now, with this, they're just riding the gravy train. If they chose to put an air-dam in that thing that shouts Fiat 500, they've taken the backseat here.

The original Mini elements could have been replicated into a more radical looking package, that not only harks back to the illustrious past, but also inspires the small cars of the future, like the upcoming slew of i cars by the same manufacturer. Now it's just blatantly taking the fight to the Fiat 500.
AyAn! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

Oh boy have they lost the plot or what!

That front end looks ghastly. That grille looks very forced. And the front overhang has gotten larger, just as I'd predicted. The rear end is alright though, thankfully.

While brands like VW have gone forward with retro-themed cars like the new Beetle, I'd like to think that BMW has taken a step back with the new Mini, in terms of design. Let's just hope it drives as well as the old-gen. The N20 motor from the 328i sounds promising, but the EPS unit doesn't.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd July 2013 at 03:46.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
2014 Mini caught totally undisguised
I know where I've seen that face before - Finding Nemo!!

Really, judging from the earlier pics on this thread, they should've left the camouflage on. Maybe it's just the color scheme - they ones in grey and red/white look better, although the pictures don't show the face of either car.
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Is that all they could do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oh boy have they lost the plot or what!

That front end looks ghastly. That grille looks very forced. And the front overhang has gotten larger, just as I'd predicted. The rear end is alright though, thankfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I know where I've seen that face before - Finding Nemo!!

Really, judging from the earlier pics on this thread, they should've left the camouflage on. Maybe it's just the color scheme - they ones in grey and red/white look better, although the pictures don't show the face of either car.

Many people in the world media have criticized the new model.

But apparently MINI says that the 2014 Cooper Looks Better in Person.

Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mi...son-62502.html

Last edited by karan561 : 4th July 2013 at 00:01.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 20:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Many people in the world media have criticized the new model.

But apparently MINI says that the 2014 Cooper Looks Better in Person.
Very quirky, but interesting update nevertheless. The corona ring is huge!

More than the looks, I am interested to see how BMW manage the FWD architecture. And in the new avatar, the Mini is expected to get a 5-door hatchback version as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 10:07   #14
BHPian

God, they've lost it.

Its got a very silly face, almost as if its permanently surprised.

And, I'm sorry guys, but a 5 door MINI? I really hate that idea. The whole point of buying a MINI is to have a small fast hatch that's fun to drive and looks good.

The 5 door version won't be anywhere near as good as the original one, and that just spoils the appeal of the MINI.

I don't see larger versions of the Fiat 500 or the VW Beetle or the Citroen DS3, or any other hot hatch, to make it more family friendly, because it defeats the purpose of buying those cars!

Sorry to rant, but I just couldn't help myself.
Speed.Demon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 14:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I don't see larger versions of the Fiat 500 or the VW Beetle or the Citroen DS3, or any other hot hatch, to make it more family friendly, because it defeats the purpose of buying those cars!
The Fiat 500 does have a L version, with five doors and chubby looks. Even the DS3 has a five door variant. Rest assured,both don't a candle to their respective originals. And to build a five door Beetle, that would be ridiculous. But the Mini's shape will take to five doors with a breeze, so that shouldn't be much of a concern here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks